Around the League 2018-19 Offseason Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I cannot imagine Trouba staying with Winnepeg long term if they go to arbitration. They dicked him around last time, forcing him to sign a prove it bridge contract when nobody was signing them anymore. He's now proven to be a strong player and is getting dicked around again.

Winnepeg should be keeping around this upcoming season because it is their cup year but he could be available afterwards.

They definitely came in low with 4 million but Trouba is NOT a 7 million a year player.

Reactions: devilsblood

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
They definitely came in low with 4 million but Trouba is NOT a 7 million a year player.

The problem is that they already lowballed him with the previous contract. Sure, its fine to offer a lowballed bridge contract and then come in with a juicy contract afterwards like Montreal did with Subban but nobody will want to stick around if organization never wants to pay up.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

The 7 million ask seems like a standard tactic. I'd be curious how closely arbitrators end up opting for the midpoint between the two requests.

If I were Trouba's agent, I'd be using Aaron Ekblad (7.5 mil) as the comparable while noting that Trouba's offensive numbers take a hit due to Winnipeg having Byfuglien/Myers. Myers missed most of 2016-17 which allowed Trouba to play a more offensive role. After missing the first 15 games of the season due to his holdout/trade demand, Trouba had a great season: 33 points in 60 games while averaging 24:58/game.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
What makes you think Hynes will overplay an aging veteran on defense as if that will solve the problem?

Not feeling confident any problems will be solved on the left side either way without a legit minute muncher to step up and take a few minutes from Greene each night. I just suspect Hynes will require Greene play more minutes than he should because he trusts him more. He's durable and rarely misses games but looked stretched too thin last year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not feeling confident any problems will be solved on the left side either way without a legit minute muncher to step up and take a few minutes from Greene each night. I just suspect Hynes will require Greene play more minutes than he should because he trusts him more. He's durable and rarely misses games but looked stretched too thin last year.

I was being snarky. My pet peeve with Hynes is his over reliance on vets. I’m still not convinced Lovejoy was better than Santini as RD3. I also think he trusted Moore way more than he deserved. Watch him lean too hard on Zajac as he fades with age.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I was being snarky. My pet peeve with Hynes is his over reliance on vets. I’m still not convinced Lovejoy was better than Santini as RD3. I also think he trusted Moore way more than he deserved. Watch him lean too hard on Zajac as he fades with age.

Lovejoy being out there could have been more of giving him an opportunity to prove he should be in the lineup. At times it seemed though that this wasn't the case because his play was pretty poor yet he was still touted out there.

If anything he didn't help his case to prove he should be in the lineup at all, let alone consistently. Hynes has been consistent though in playing guys based on their play and holding everybody accountable no matter who the player is, be it Hall or a fringe player over his tenure here so we'll see what the deal is going into this season.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

Gotcha, had a feeling that was sarcasm regarding Hynes but wasn't entirely certain so I gave the safe answer. :thumbu:

I agree with you, he does lean a bit too hard on a few gradually declining vets. Thankfully Zajac was a trooper again once he got back in the swing of things, probably came back a tad early after the injury. Greene on the other hand did not fare as well.

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

Lovejoy being out there could have been more of giving him an opportunity to prove he should be in the lineup. At times it seemed though that this wasn't the case because his play was pretty poor yet he was still touted out there.

If anything he didn't help his case to prove he should be in the lineup at all, let alone consistently. Hynes has been consistent though in playing guys based on their play and holding everybody accountable no matter who the player is, be it Hall or a fringe player over his tenure here so we'll see what the deal is going into this season.
I think once we found ourselves, unexpectedly, defending a playoff berth with half a season to go, a lot of decisions were driven by needing to put a finger in the dike now, as opposed to looking at future player development. It became hang on and slot in veterans, make it to that finish line. And we did.

But the issue going forward is that we can’t do that next year, in the interests of the long term arc of our development. We must now bring the youngsters along if we truly want to build a cup contender. This year Santini and Mueller have to play more and Greene and Lovejoy less.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So this Karlsson stuff sure died down a bunch eh?

Yeah it seemed to go from a day or two away from happening to being on the backburner. Either Tampa's not having any luck getting anyone to take its bad contracts or not having any luck with signing Karlsson long-term. Or the media jumped the gun on the inevitablity of EK to TB.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So this Karlsson stuff sure died down a bunch eh?

GMs basically came out and admitted nothing was close, and it appears they were right.

It isn’t surprising. Just so many moving parts, Ottawa wants top prospects that no one really wants to give up, never mind making the cap work.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
There's some Elliott Friedman quote about how no one throws you a life jacket when you're drowning as a GM.

Sucks for Ottawa fans, but they're in the same boat as Knicks fans. Just burn it all down, starting with ownership. And there's probably more pain to come with Duchene, Stone and Pageau.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa wants the moon and the stars. Top picks, top prospects, and someone to take Ryan’s boat anchor of a contract.

It's also possible they see the fix they're in vis-a-vis losing their first-rounder and are dragging their feet so they can at least be better in the first half and give away a few less ping-pong balls :P

I wasn't entirely convinced they were cashing out on 2019 anyway (even though they should with the 3-4 super teams in their division), given they took back Boedker instead of futures for Hoffman.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Ottawa wants the moon and the stars. Top picks, top prospects, and someone to take Ryan’s boat anchor of a contract.

I think they've officially passed the Oilers as the NHL's worst managed team. Although admittedly, Lou is chasing that title for all he's worth.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think they've officially passed the Oilers as the NHL's worst managed team. Although admittedly, Lou is chasing that title for all he's worth.
Florida is still down there too, as is Bergevin in Montreal. They've all seemed to pass Colorado and Vancouver on the ''Poorest managed teams'' depth chart recently. Maybe even Arizona too. The Islanders have been poorly managed for like 25 years now.

Florida got Hoffman for cheap, but it's only because Ottawa was fleeced by a middleman in the Sharks. They got him even cheaper. That's on par with Garth Snow fleecing Chiarelli and the Oilers. Not because Garth Snow is good, but because Chiarelli really sucks. I'm not sure if I blame Dorion, he seems like he's just a figurehead puppet for Melnyk, because Melnyk can't officially call himself GM.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Despite some very questionable signings Lou is still way ahead of both just for his draft and the Lehner signing (which to me was one of the smarter FA signings any team made this offseason. No risk very high reward.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

No clue how when he is one of the worst defenseman on the team lol.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
With regard to Maroon, he's on the most recent Spittin Chiclets podcast and he said he didn't get offers when free agency opened. Switched agents and by that time the market kind of dried up and he thought he was going to have to take a two way deal. That was with a chuckle so maybe not legit but it's interesting that he said he didn't really get any offers which contradicts what Shero said.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
With regard to Maroon, he's on the most recent Spittin Chiclets podcast and he said he didn't get offers when free agency opened. Switched agents and by that time the market kind of dried up and he thought he was going to have to take a two way deal. That was with a chuckle so maybe not legit but it's interesting that he said he didn't really get any offers which contradicts what Shero said.

It was kinda an odd interview - Maroon sounded kinda off. Maybe it's just his demeanour but a couple of his answers were weird.

Also didn't talk a whole lot about his time in NJ - just gave the usual cliches. It didn't sound like he ever considered staying here long term. Or maybe that option wasn't offered to him.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It was kinda an odd interview - Maroon sounded kinda off. Maybe it's just his demeanour but a couple of his answers were weird.

Also didn't talk a whole lot about his time in NJ - just gave the usual cliches. It didn't sound like he ever considered staying here long term. Or maybe that option wasn't offered to him.

He doesn't seem like a particularly outgoing guy anyway so that's probably why it was a kind of slow interview but yeah. It was just weird that he had no offers when Shero came out and said they offered him more. Maybe he was referring to offers before he changed agents, who knows.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
He doesn't seem like a particularly outgoing guy anyway so that's probably why it was a kind of slow interview but yeah. It was just weird that he had no offers when Shero came out and said they offered him more. Maybe he was referring to offers before he changed agents, who knows.

If I recall correctly, Shero said he offered more money but still on a one year deal. Maroon was probably under the impression (as I was as well) that he'd probably get a 3-4 year deal on the open market.

You wonder if, along with his playing style, that his back surgery played a factor in things as well. It's likely his game won't age well, and teams may have been more cautious to dole out a long term deal to a player who may potentially have back problems going forward. From that viewpoint, a one year deal can certainly make some sense.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
You wonder if, along with his playing style, that his back surgery played a factor in things as well. It's likely his game won't age well, and teams may have been more cautious to dole out a long term deal to a player who may potentially have back problems going forward. From that viewpoint, a one year deal can certainly make some sense.

I think you nailed it with this. He was already slow and relatively immobile before this surgery - I'd be very wary of offering him a 3+ year deal until he proves he's still as effective as he was pre-surgery.

Plus teams only have to look as far as Lucic in Edmonton to see how bad a long term contract for a guy like Maroon could be.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Despite some very questionable signings Lou is still way ahead of both just for his draft and the Lehner signing (which to me was one of the smarter FA signings any team made this offseason. No risk very high reward.

lou got there what two weeks before the draft? what input in decision making could he possibly have on drafting players that the isles staff scouted for months? he had no say at all in the draft. this coming year? sure his fingerprints will be all over it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->