Around the League 2018-19 Offseason Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Ottawa not having their first round pick in a year they are most likely going to finish bottom 3 again, probably battling Montreal for #1, is an absolute disaster. I would've given up my #4 pick this year and hoped for a shot at #1 next year

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Upper body looks more form fitting, which is good.

Appleby said he doesn’t feel protected around his neck area, which is bad. Might make sense to wear the plastic piece Marty liked to use.

Has the neck size of padding ever been an issue for goalies? You’d think that would be a bit of a red flag and send manufacturers back to the drawing board.

Reactions: MightyGrecia

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Wysh is a "Devil fan"

if you catch my drift

He's very much an actual Devils fan, if you listened to his podcasts he makes it very obvious.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what exactly he's wrong about in that article. This is all he wrote, and he's right:

"GM Ray Shero sat atop his $23 million in cap space like Scrooge McDuck in his money bin. Perhaps he's waiting to be the solution to someone else's payroll problem, similar to how Marcus Johansson fell to the Devils last summer."

He did peg us as Curiously Quiet, which may be a misnomer at worst, but we have had a quiet offseason.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
This offseason was the absolutely definition of quiet. Not one addition was made to the NHL roster. Not one trade has been made. Only activity was resigning a few RFAs as well as 3 AHL signings. Devils have never had this quiet of an offseason that I can remember

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
And there's nothing wrong with having a quiet offseason, at all. Outside of like two or three guys, there was nothing overly helpful to sign anyway.

It was/is quiet so far, though.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I think Shero targeted a couple guys like Maroon and JVR but it just wasn't in the cards as they both wanted to go elsewhere. With De Haan, who knows, maybe his injury history gave Ray cold feet on that venture though it's a position of obvious need for us right now.

Ray may be shying away from trades at the moment as he doesn't want to create one hole to fill another, either that or he can't get anyone to Chia for him right now. Offseason still has a ways to go though...

Status quo doesn't really get the blood flowing as a fan but things could be much worse looking at some of the bad deals signed this month. My biggest concern is that Hynes will lean on Greene much too heavily again next year and the dude just isn't up to it at all. Hopefully we'll get some surprise contributions on both sides of the puck from our stable of young players and prospects because we're going to need it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Upper body looks more form fitting, which is good.

Appleby said he doesn’t feel protected around his neck area, which is bad. Might make sense to wear the plastic piece Marty liked to use.

thats a really good start but they can definitely trim even more. are they?

those leg pads have to be slimmed down big time. the glove and blocker also have to be slimmed down. can't wait to see lundqvist in this

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
This offseason was the absolutely definition of quiet. Not one addition was made to the NHL roster. Not one trade has been made. Only activity was resigning a few RFAs as well as 3 AHL signings. Devils have never had this quiet of an offseason that I can remember

Eerily quiet

As if Ray was given a gag order

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Ottawa not having their first round pick in a year they are most likely going to finish bottom 3 again, probably battling Montreal for #1, is an absolute disaster. I would've given up my #4 pick this year and hoped for a shot at #1 next year

Obviously not an ideal situation for Ottawa. They took a calculated risk in not giving up #4 this year. In terms of odds: 2019 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon

Even if they were the worst team, they'd have a 50.6% chance of ending up with the #4 pick in 2019. Maybe a leap of faith on their end that last year was a Murphy's Law type season with the toxic locker room.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

A few years ago it would have been more of a no-brainer, but now you have to win a lottery to finish in the top three, no matter how bad you are. Even for the worst team there's a slightly less than 50% chance of picking in the top three via the link Brodeur posted, then it goes down to about 39 and 34% for the second and third-worst teams. Meaning there's probably a slightly better chance they give up the same or a higher pick this year unless they're the absolute worst team in which case push would be a best-case scenario.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
A few years ago it would have been more of a no-brainer, but now you have to win a lottery to finish in the top three, no matter how bad you are. Even for the worst team there's a slightly less than 50% chance of picking in the top three via the link Brodeur posted, then it goes down to about 39 and 34% for the second and third-worst teams. Meaning there's probably a slightly better chance they give up the same or a higher pick this year unless they're the absolute worst team in which case push would be a best-case scenario.
I dunno. It kinda reminds me of how we got the pick to snag Niedermayer.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think Shero targeted a couple guys like Maroon and JVR but it just wasn't in the cards as they both wanted to go elsewhere. With De Haan, who knows, maybe his injury history gave Ray cold feet on that venture though it's a position of obvious need for us right now.

Ray may be shying away from trades at the moment as he doesn't want to create one hole to fill another, either that or he can't get anyone to Chia for him right now. Offseason still has a ways to go though...

Status quo doesn't really get the blood flowing as a fan but things could be much worse looking at some of the bad deals signed this month. My biggest concern is that Hynes will lean on Greene much too heavily again next year and the dude just isn't up to it at all. Hopefully we'll get some surprise contributions on both sides of the puck from our stable of young players and prospects because we're going to need it.

What makes you think Hynes will overplay an aging veteran on defense as if that will solve the problem?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I cannot imagine Trouba staying with Winnepeg long term if they go to arbitration. They dicked him around last time, forcing him to sign a prove it bridge contract when nobody was signing them anymore. He's now proven to be a strong player and is getting dicked around again.

Winnepeg should be keeping around this upcoming season because it is their cup year but he could be available afterwards.

Reactions: Darkauron

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Interesting thing is that you could have a legitimate debate about it. They are therefore in the same elite class. Reasonable people can disagree on which one.

For my bucks, Panarin for Karlsson. Columbus and Ottawa. Straight up fair deal. That’s how highly I think of him. (Just musing here, this is not fully serious, it’s summer what?).

He's without a doubt an extremely impressive player who will put up a ton of points. Can change the game. Tavares to me is just one of those top level guys who you don't realize how good they were until they're finished. If he didn't spend the better part of a decade dragging scrubs around Long Island I bet this conversation would be different. I'd put good money on him finishing top 3 for the Hart next year tbh.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad