Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
If Vegas is determined, they can probably beat anything we could realistically offer. Especially if they offer Glass, which reports have said Ottawa wants.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
can't believe the isles are in the mix though. what would they give up? does lou really think they're there if he makes a crazy splash?

i wouldn't be surprised if he sold dorion and melnyk the farm in order to appease the ravenous fans, and bargained off their future

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
I think the most ridiculous report I saw is that since San Jose missed out on Tavares then they would go after Karlsson. Meanwhile they have Brent Burns at 8 million per and Vlasic at 7 million per for the next 7 seasons.

Reports are that the contract that Karlsson nixed with Ottawa was 8 years at 10 million per season. Therefore, most likely he is going to want 11 million for 8 and I am assuming that is after playing out this season's 6.5 million contract. So you would be signing up for 9 years of Karlsson. I truly hope his past injuries do not impact his future play.

I think it would only come down to 4 teams that would go after him would be:

Islanders (make up for the Tavares PR disaster and something exciting going into new rink)

Devils (can take on Ryan's contract and have an opening at RW and swap out Severson for Karlsson)

Vegas (tax-free state and could use a stud on D; Stanley Cup finalist)

Colorado (has the cap space and they did make the in-season trade so there is a history but leaning no)

Reactions: OmNomNom

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
You guys think, again, that the Devils are a secret, unnamed team involved in this. That they are going to write this check and are evading the media at every turn to stay concealed even tho they did not do that at all in pursuit of shattenkirk last year and the teams who were involved in Tavares were widely reported in the weeks leading up to the LA meetings and now we are seeing teams come out with Karlsson and again no mention of the Devils anywhere.

I hope you guys are right. I really do. I have long been a proponent of this move - with Ryan. It does make perfect sense for their hockey team today and for their build. This is what you use your cap space for. But I just don't buy it. They won't spend the money.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I think the most ridiculous report I saw is that since San Jose missed out on Tavares then they would go after Karlsson. Meanwhile they have Brent Burns at 8 million per and Vlasic at 7 million per for the next 7 seasons.

Reports are that the contract that Karlsson nixed with Ottawa was 8 years at 10 million per season. Therefore, most likely he is going to want 11 million for 8 and I am assuming that is after playing out this season's 6.5 million contract. So you would be signing up for 9 years of Karlsson. I truly hope his past injuries do not impact his future play.

I think it would only come down to 4 teams that would go after him would be:

Islanders (make up for the Tavares PR disaster and something exciting going into new rink)

Devils (can take on Ryan's contract and have an opening at RW and swap out Severson for Karlsson)

Vegas (tax-free state and could use a stud on D; Stanley Cup finalist)

Colorado (has the cap space and they did make the in-season trade so there is a history but leaning no)

HAHAHA THAT'S ALL THEY WERE WILLING TO OFFER?!?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS? if true, those cheap memes write themselves!

You guys think, again, that the Devils are a secret, unnamed team involved in this. That they are going to write this check and are evading the media at every turn to stay concealed even tho they did not do that at all in pursuit of shattenkirk last year and the teams who were involved in Tavares were widely reported in the weeks leading up to the LA meetings and now we are seeing teams come out with Karlsson and again no mention of the Devils anywhere.

I hope you guys are right. I really do. I have long been a proponent of this move - with Ryan. It does make perfect sense for their hockey team today and for their build. This is what you use your cap space for. But I just don't buy it. They won't spend the money.
if they won't spend the money on karlsson (of course, a pipe dream), then i expect something else brewing. and that's fine with me.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Karlsson is a norris defender. Those guys you listed are decent to good, however far from top 3 of their respective position in the league.

I don’t agree with your idea, because on Sunday OEL just signed an 8-year extension with a team he knows isn’t gonna win a Cup in the next few years. If you like a place and the org treats you well, why not? I don’t think we’re cursed...

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
if we snag him, we'll be getting a HUGE boost in attendance next year - moreso if we don't get rid of anyone named hall, hischier, or palmieri.

based on the hole they have in ottawa, i wonder if schneider is on the table. i'd imagine yes.

edit: jk, he has a NTC, doubt he'd waive it to go there

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Shero is in the trenches right now I just know it
71azht1WUpL._SY606_.jpg

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if we did have a shot at him then you obviously bring on ryan at full contract to lower the price of EK. its a no brainer the team has 25 million in cap space? you have to stop worrying about down the road stuff. bring in two guys who can (ryan) help the team now.

i still dont get vegas at all. he will regret going there

Reactions: nugg

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
I didn't think Ottawa's offer to Karlsson was an insult at 8 years 10 million per. Doughty has played in every game the last 4 seasons and Karlsson has been banged up the last couple of seasons. Karlsson is 5 months younger than Doughty.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York

What media in the New York metropolitan area would be following the Devs every single move? All they are talking about in this area is the next starting pitcher for the Yankees (deGrom). Stan retired and is probably taking a train ride on the Long Island railroad. Shero could be in stealth mode and I think this Karlsson thing is holding up de Haan and Ryan is holding up Maroon.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
if we did have a shot at him then you obviously bring on ryan at full contract to lower the price of EK. its a no brainer the team has 25 million in cap space? you have to stop worrying about down the road stuff. bring in two guys who can (ryan) help the team now.

i still dont get vegas at all. he will regret going there
agreed. if vegas wants to help themselves, then they need to get rid of someone, to make room for ryan to play. he won't waive his NTC just to sit in the box

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Shero is gonna pounce on whichever contender ( unless it's Vegas ) grabs EK, TB for example would have to shed salary. Doubt very much we're in on EK unless the price has come way down ( the trade price )

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Shero is gonna pounce on whichever contender ( unless it's Vegas ) grabs EK, TB for example would have to shed salary. Doubt very much we're in on EK unless the price has come way down ( the trade price )
Well remember the big money for Karlsson won't happen till his extension kicks in next year.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Doughty has hit 60 points once. Karlsson has done it 6 of the last 7 seasons (the other one was the 2013 lockout). There's really no comparison.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Ottawa allowing suitors to talk extension with Karlsson makes me comfortable. I think if Shero could combine the pitches San Jose and Toronto made to Tavares - San Jose's obscurity with Toronto's trajectory - that would suit him. I can't imagine Karlsson wants to play in a big market after this tire fire.

Reactions: OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
karlson is gonna get 12mil/year, minimum.

i bet it's gonna be a 3 way trade, with Team A receiving karlsson, and Team B throwing in assets to help Team A and/or taking on Ryan

Sens: Ton of players/picks from A and B
Team A: Karlsson, maybe some picks
Team B: Ryan, really good picks/assets, roster player(s)?

if we're not A, i'm totally down with being B, as long as we get some good value

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad