Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
karlson is gonna get 12mil/year, minimum.

i bet it's gonna be a 3 way trade, with Team A receiving karlsson, and Team B throwing in assets to help Team A and/or taking on Ryan

Sens: Ton of players/picks from A and B
Team A: Karlsson, maybe some picks
Team B: Ryan, really good picks/assets, roster player(s)?

if we're not A, i'm totally down with being B, as long as we get some good value

In this hypothetical, what assets would team B receive? Clarkson's contract cost a 1st and 2nd right?

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I don’t agree with your idea, because on Sunday OEL just signed an 8-year extension with a team he knows isn’t gonna win a Cup in the next few years. If you like a place and the org treats you well, why not? I don’t think we’re cursed...

Im not saying we are cursed. Imo we would have unquestionable issues if we couldnt keep Nico, our draft pick (like what happened with Parise). However i think we are in the same bucket with Arizona, Canes, Buffalo, Calgary etc when it comes to attractiveness for (free agent) players. Now that i think of it, i heard players consider Carolina one of the best places to play for cause family life is apparently quite nice over there.

In short, getting a signing of JT's or EK's magnitude is incredibly unlikely as it is quite clear that super stars avoid our organization and NJ doesnt get a big benefit from being close to Manhattan (i.e. NJ doesnt really have many factors outside of hockey that could be seen to be especially interesting in comparison to like Vegas, Florida, Manhattan etc.)

Atm we're a club that made playoffs one time in past 6 years and that was to a large extent thanks to Hall's most likely once-in-a-career season. Our goalie situation is mediocre to bad, we dont have a #1 dman let alone two defenders even the average HF user from other fanbase could name on the top of his or her head. Our situation isnt excellent to begin with, we have had ownership issues, attendance problems and in addition Ive understood NJ is a bit expensive place to live tax wise etc.

Does our organization treat you well? Well Parise left, Kovy had to retire to get out, Stevens ditched coaching positions (iirc) and Marty left as soon as he could. Someone could say that people are leaving this organization rather than coming in. Not saying that those guys leaving are due to bad organizational atmosphere, but its a long list.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
karlson is gonna get 12mil/year, minimum.

i bet it's gonna be a 3 way trade, with Team A receiving karlsson, and Team B throwing in assets to help Team A and/or taking on Ryan

Sens: Ton of players/picks from A and B
Team A: Karlsson, maybe some picks
Team B: Ryan, really good picks/assets, roster player(s)?

if we're not A, i'm totally down with being B, as long as we get some good value
Like I said late last night...

1. Trade a 7th to Chicago for Hossa and their 2nd.
2. Trade Hossa, Severson, McLeod, our 1st and 2nd for EK and Ryan.

We get Chicago's 2nd, and Ottawa has to eat Hossa's cap space, but he costs no actual money because he's on LTIR and insurance is paying his salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Im not saying we are cursed. Imo we would have unquestionable issues if we couldnt keep Nico, our draft pick (like what happened with Parise). However i think we are in the same bucket with Arizona, Canes, Buffalo, Calgary etc when it comes to attractiveness for (free agent) players. Now that i think of it, i heard players consider Carolina one of the best places to play for cause family life is apparently quite nice over there.

In short, getting a signing of JT's or EK's magnitude is incredibly unlikely as it is quite clear that super stars avoid our organization and NJ doesnt get a big benefit from being close to Manhattan (i.e. NJ doesnt really have many factors outside of hockey that could be seen to be especially interesting in comparison to like Vegas, Florida, Manhattan etc.)

Atm we're a club that made playoffs one time in past 6 years and that was to a large extent thanks to Hall's most likely once-in-a-career season. Our goalie situation is mediocre to bad, we dont have a #1 dman let alone two defenders even the average HF user from other fanbase could name on the top of his or her head. Our situation isnt excellent to begin with, we have had ownership issues, attendance problems and in addition Ive understood NJ is a bit expensive place to live tax wise etc.

Does our organization treat you well? Well Parise left, Kovy had to retire to get out, Stevens ditched coaching positions (iirc) and Marty left as soon as he could. Someone could say that people are leaving this organization rather than coming in. Not saying that those guys leaving are due to bad organizational atmosphere, but its a long list.
JT didn't want to go to anyone in the Metro.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think the most ridiculous report I saw is that since San Jose missed out on Tavares then they would go after Karlsson. Meanwhile they have Brent Burns at 8 million per and Vlasic at 7 million per for the next 7 seasons.

Reports are that the contract that Karlsson nixed with Ottawa was 8 years at 10 million per season. Therefore, most likely he is going to want 11 million for 8 and I am assuming that is after playing out this season's 6.5 million contract. So you would be signing up for 9 years of Karlsson. I truly hope his past injuries do not impact his future play.

I think it would only come down to 4 teams that would go after him would be:

Islanders (make up for the Tavares PR disaster and something exciting going into new rink)

Devils (can take on Ryan's contract and have an opening at RW and swap out Severson for Karlsson)

Vegas (tax-free state and could use a stud on D; Stanley Cup finalist)

Colorado (has the cap space and they did make the in-season trade so there is a history but leaning no)

San Jose is still a win now team with a ton of cap space after this year when an extension kicks in, it’s not totally out of the question.

And on another note can we try to keep the Devils whining out of the Around The League thread going forward? We can talk about FA’s and trades but let’s leave the will Hall stay nonsense for the team/ownership threads....

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Like I said, some of you guys must live miserable lives if you actually believe the Devils are not trending up. I would love to hear what your opinion of the Senators or Islanders is, Jesus Christ...

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

2. Trade Hossa, Severson, McLeod, our 1st and 2nd for Hossa and Ryan.

We get Chicago's 2nd, and Ottawa has to eat Hossa's cap space, but he costs no actual money because he's on LTIR and insurance is paying his salary.

Remove Hossa, and add Hossa

Reactions: Nubmer6

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

2. Trade Hossa, Severson, McLeod, our 1st and 2nd for Hossa and Ryan.

i don't think an extended karlsson is worth severson and mcleod. what we'd give would have to hurt, or at least an asset have to come from another team, desperate to offload a bad contract. which means we need to take on said bad contract probably

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Like I said, some of you guys must live miserable lives if you actually believe the Devils are not trending up. I would love to hear what your opinion of the Senators or Islanders is, Jesus Christ...

We are trending up, thank god, finally, but we are still behind of other stromg teams with decent future ahead. Are we on par with Jets? No. Right direction but not even a contender yet. I mean Tampa showed us in playoffs that we just arent good enough, fair and square. Right direction, very far away from being a serious contender.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We are trending up, thank god, finally, but we are still behind of other stromg teams with decent future ahead. Are we on par with Jets? No. Right direction but not even a contender yet. I mean Tampa showed us in playoffs that we just arent good enough, fair and square. Right direction, very far away from being a serious contender.

OK great so what should the plan be? Should Shero just cry in his beer because there are better teams than us? So because we aren't as good as 2 of the top 3 or 4 teams in the league we should be ashamed?

I'm not really sure what your point is.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i don't think an extended karlsson is worth severson and mcleod. what we'd give would have to hurt, or at least an asset have to come from another team, desperate to offload a bad contract. which means we need to take on said bad contract probably

I assume you mean not worth it to Ottawa

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
why would it be?

i think other teams would be able to field more competitive offers to cheapass melnyk. the advantage is that karlsson WANTS to move, so that's a huge discount already. but there has to be more given to them.

I thought you meant Karlsson was worth less haha. my mistake lol

Reactions: OmNomNom

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
OK great so what should the plan be? Should Shero just cry in his beer because there are better teams than us? So because we aren't as good as 2 of the top 3 or 4 teams in the league we should be ashamed?

I'm not really sure what your point is.

My point is that some posters on this board are delusional in their free agency expectations.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Isles #3. Seems like the right team for Lou :)

Surprised we're not top 5. It feels like we have a lot of young players. Maybe I'm too used to the old Lou era dinosaurs.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I actually prefer Victor Hedman to him, but I get your point. I actually question his health right now. I think he said he never fully recovered from his ankle surgery and it may never be the same. I also think it's going to take more than what I wrote to get him, and I have a feeling it's going to take more than I'd be comfortable with to outbid the other teams.

THIS is why I'd stay away.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad