Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The Leafs fans are probably insufferable right now. I'm staying away from the main boards because of it. Let the Tavares post-signing hype die down a bit before taking a cruise over to there.

Steve Dangle's video about was BRUTAL! He was way over the top in it. Really confident in their chances, I hope they get out in round one again. Dude, the Leafs last won a cup like 20 years before you were born!

trautbag!!!

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The Leafs fans are probably insufferable right now. I'm staying away from the main boards because of it. Let the Tavares post-signing hype die down a bit before taking a cruise over to there.

Steve Dangle's video about was BRUTAL! He was way over the top in it. Really confident in their chances, I hope they get out in round one again. Dude, the Leafs last won a cup like 20 years before you were born!
I had no idea Tavares could play on D.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I dunno, what makes you say that?

If, hypothetically, the Leafs made it personal by talking about Lou's age in their pitch to JT I could totally see Lou going after the Leafs.

A) How would Lou even know what was part of the Leafs pitch? It's not like JT is gonna embarass the organization he's signing with by squealing on them.
B) It's Shanny, he's not gonna play the age card or otherwise denigrate Lou to begin with.
C) People wanted Lou to offer sheet teams out of spite or whatever here, he doesn't believe in that - period.

Reactions: Devil X

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm just curious... What do you think Bobby Ryan is worth right now salary-wise? How much do you think he would have gotten if he were a UFA a couple days ago?

Do you think there would be some teams that say "Well, last few years were just a glitch and he can regain his 40-50 point form"? Or "He had bad linemates" or "He may succeed with a change of scenery"?

Do you think he could have been signed at all? Like a 1 year 1 mill "prove it" contract? Maybe more?
Honestly, Bobby Ryan is probably worth about $4.5-$5 million per year, at least as of right now. Barring another drop off even further. He's still a 40+ point player, if he plays an entire season, but he's only played 62 regular season games in both of the last two seasons.

For what it's worth, he had a bit of a rise in production this past year from the year before. He scored 25 points in 62 games in 16-17, he scored 33 points in 62 games in 17-18. He had 15 points in 19 playoff games in 2017. So he had 40 points in 81 games that year. Produced at a 44 point pace this past year.

So I think 40 points is probably something he can do if he plays 80 games. I think he would have been signed if he was bought out, but it might have been more of prove it contract, but I still think it would have been more than $1 million per year. It's not like he's as old as Cammalleri.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I get Vegas went to the finals but ek would have to be insane to go there willingly. The team is going to bottom out when those guys don’t have career years like they did last year.

Besides what can they offer that we can’t players wise?

They'll still be good though

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
remember when I was told Vegas should have sold at the deadline because they weren't going anywhere in the playoffs?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Beside frankly the JT and Long Island thing is not Lous mess. He inherited it. I know some here like to blame Lou and have fun with the “another player leaving for his home town.” But this ship sailed a while ago and it didn’t matter if Lou was there or not. This was a totally failure on the part of the Islanders ownership to not dump Snow seasons ago and get better management in there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I had no idea Tavares could play on D.
Haha their D still sucks and Ron Hainsey plays a lot of minutes for them.

They still allow a lot of shots and when the puck isn't hitting Andersen, they allow a lot of goals too.

At least they didn't bring back Polak. Unfortunately for Dallas, they signed him instead.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Beside frankly the JT and Long Island thing is not Lous mess. He inherited it. I know some here like to blame Lou and have fun with the “another player leaving for his home town.” But this ship sailed a while ago and it didn’t matter if Lou was there or not. This was a totally failure on the part of the Islanders ownership to not dump Snow seasons ago and get better management in there.
Yeah, I haven't been one to defend Lou over the last half decade, but no one should be pinning this on him.

Quite honestly, I tend to believe that Tavares had his mind made up on leaving before they even hired Lou.

But I think out of respect for the organization that he was then under contract to, he listened a bit and played ball and communicated with them. I think he wanted to leave early before this though.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Agreed, it's not his fault - but the UFA signings...

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
That Komarov deal

giphy.gif

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Honestly, Bobby Ryan is probably worth about $4.5-$5 million per year, at least as of right now. Barring another drop off even further. He's still a 40+ point player, if he plays an entire season, but he's only played 62 regular season games in both of the last two seasons.

For what it's worth, he had a bit of a rise in production this past year from the year before. He scored 25 points in 62 games in 16-17, he scored 33 points in 62 games in 17-18. He had 15 points in 19 playoff games in 2017. So he had 40 points in 81 games that year. Produced at a 44 point pace this past year.

So I think 40 points is probably something he can do if he plays 80 games. I think he would have been signed if he was bought out, but it might have been more of prove it contract, but I still think it would have been more than $1 million per year. It's not like he's as old as Cammalleri.

So *IF* we were to eat his contract to get EK (not saying I'd do it), we'd really be eating like 3.5-4M, since we'd be getting a 4M-ish RW, which we could probably use.

Just brainstorming here... What if we were to trade for Hossa's dead contract and pick up an asset, then turn around and trade him as part of a deal to Ottawa for EK and Ryan? They don't really care about cap space as much as actual money, and Hossa would only be taking up space. In fact, they can probably use it to hit the cap floor.

At the same time, we gain EK, Ryan (a RW which we might be able to use), and whatever asset we get from the Hawks, or the asset could be used as part of the deal also.

So something like:
1. Trade a 7th for Chicago's 2nd and Hossa.
2. Trade Hossa, Severson, our 2019 1st, Chicago's 2019 2nd for EK and Ryan.

Maybe that doesn't do it but you get the idea. Acquire Hossa to get an additional asset to soften the blow of the trade to Ottawa.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lehner?? Wow
Hate to say it, but is he really any worse than either of our two current goalies? He was as bad this past year as Cory has been the past two years. He was a .920% goalie the year before that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

The mistake was not trading him this past season when he didn’t sign last offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad