Around The League 2018-19 IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That argument works for maybe 8 games, 10 games absolute tops, but at 20 games it's not aging well. Nylander missed a training camp, he hasnt been sitting in a Turkish prison for six years.

He had 2 points in his first 10 games, and has 2 points in his last 10 games - so there's not even improvement there. The reality is the kid's playing terrible, and not scoring while playing on one of the highest scoring teams in the entire NHL. There's just no chemical polish strong enough to shine-up this turd with a "missed training camp" narrative

You said it yourself. He’s a kid. He’s not emotionally equipped to handle the pressure and vitriol he’s probably getting on the QT in TOR from fans and maybe even management. Sure his teammates don’t care but I wouldn’t want to be him and stop at the local Hortons donuts and have to listen to the chirping. My guess is he will be fine once the team finds another scapegoat. Maybe Marner in the offseason if his contract talks stall. If TOR wanted anyone not named Hall or Hischier straight up for Nylander I’d say yes to that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Nylander is shooting well below his career norms. That likely won't continue forever. He's also coached by a guy who buries skilled players on the 4th line when they're not producing. He'll be fine.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Getting rid of Chia doesn't even begin to a dress the Oilers problems. The issue starts at the top with their owner and his group of friends who are all the executives with the team despite decades of failure.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sadly, Chiarelli is the only GM they've had in recent years that wasn't a member of their old boys club. So they might be thinking ''See what happened when we went outside the box?'' and the next GM will be some Oilers guy.

At least I'm pretty sure Chiarelli never worked for the Oilers before they brought him on as a GM. Maybe he was a scout or management member of something there years and years ago?

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Getting rid of Chia doesn't even begin to a dress the Oilers problems. The issue starts at the top with their owner and his group of friends who are all the executives with the team despite decades of failure.
I said years ago that Kevin Lowe shouldn't have a job there anymore.

If you ever see him, he always talks about all the cup rings he has and how he has more than all but one guy and that this means he knows something about winning. He flipped out on a member of the media who asked him a tough question when they hired MacTavish to be the GM almost 6 years ago and said something like that. Also publicly called out Brian Burke and his cup rings as a player (Burke has one as a GM) and used this as evidence that he knows more about winning.

What a jerk he is. Citing all the cups he won as a player (while not even being that important of a player on any of them and riding passenger to Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Fuhr, Richter, Leetch, etc) and yet he hasn't won shit as a management person, outside of multiple lotteries.

The Oilers are a joke organization right now because of him.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
View attachment 178853

Credit to a poster on the Devils Reddit :laugh:

this has to be fake…..there is no section 141 at the rock

centerstageseating.jpg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wonder if things would have panned out any differently had:

2015 Draft: Edmonton was after Dougie Hamilton as well, but it almost seemed like Boston out of principle refused to trade with Chiarelli. Oilers instead give up a similar package for Griffin Reinhart.

2016 Draft: Three way deal was on the table for Columbus-Edmonton-Calgary to swap spots. Calgary would have moved up to #3 (probably for Puljujarvi), Columbus would go to #4 (for Dubois, who they'd take #3 anyways after the trade fell through), and Edmonton would go to #6 to take Mikhail Sergachev. But Chiarelli got cold feet as he feared Puljujarvi would haunt them for years in Calgary. And who knows how Sergachev would have done in Edmonton as opposed to being sheltered in Tampa.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Johansson traded for a 2nd. (~55th overall)
Boyle traded for a 2nd (~55th overall)

OR

Johansson + Boyle traded for a 1st (~27th overall)

Which would you prefer?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I said years ago that Kevin Lowe shouldn't have a job there anymore.

If you ever see him, he always talks about all the cup rings he has and how he has more than all but one guy and that this means he knows something about winning. He flipped out on a member of the media who asked him a tough question when they hired MacTavish to be the GM almost 6 years ago and said something like that. Also publicly called out Brian Burke and his cup rings as a player (Burke has one as a GM) and used this as evidence that he knows more about winning.

What a jerk he is. Citing all the cups he won as a player (while not even being that important of a player on any of them and riding passenger to Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Fuhr, Richter, Leetch, etc) and yet he hasn't won **** as a management person, outside of multiple lotteries.

The Oilers are a joke organization right now because of him.

A know it all tough on the media with a good old boys club culture? Hmmmmm sounds familiar

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sadly, Chiarelli is the only GM they've had in recent years that wasn't a member of their old boys club. So they might be thinking ''See what happened when we went outside the box?'' and the next GM will be some Oilers guy.

At least I'm pretty sure Chiarelli never worked for the Oilers before they brought him on as a GM. Maybe he was a scout or management member of something there years and years ago?

Yeah I remember thinking something like that with Brent Sutter when Lou hired him, it was his only out of the organization hire since Burns and he went back to the old boys network after Sutter left us in the lurch :P

Two seconds no doubt about it.

No way...you don't trade down 28 spots in the early part of the draft in that hypothetical for just another late 2nd. The Rangers used a second to trade up FOUR spots late in the first round of last year's draft.

Heck people still haven't forgiven Lou for 'trading' a #11 pick for #29 and #30.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The idea is they'd trade Kase cause he can't help them this year (like any pick they trade wouldn't help them) for a win-now option but I don't know how win-now the Ducks are really going to be considering they just lost twelve in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad