Around The League 2018-19 IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The 1-4-1 got me :laugh:

I'll never forget the discussion here when the trade went down, but it wasnt finalized yet as it was still breaking news.

The Hall for Larsson bit was known, but a bunch of us were all furiously typing variations of, "and WHO else is leaving?" somewhat worrying about that part. There were many who didnt believe it could be one for one and were expecting (as often happens) the full details not knows right when trades were announced.

Then, I think it was Bob MacKenzie who confirmed it, and there was much rejoicing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They’ll probably promote Wayne Gretzky as the GM replacement. Or Lowe or MacT again. Would it really be a shock?
Close

Just the wrong Gretzky. Looks like it's Keith Gretzky for now.:laugh:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
No way...you don't trade down 28 spots in the early part of the draft in that hypothetical for just another late 2nd. The Rangers used a second to trade up FOUR spots late in the first round of last year's draft.

Heck people still haven't forgiven Lou for 'trading' a #11 pick for #29 and #30.

Agreed 100%. You get a better chance of getting an elite talent in the first round than you do in the second. We have plenty of prospects who look like they'll be solid depth.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Heh. Classic Burke.

I actually defend Burke when Kevin Lowe is the one attacking him, but he's another dinosaur.

I don't mind him on TV in his current role, he's been okay. Says some things that I like and some things that are prehistoric from the caveman era.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He obviously has never seen Larsson play. Larsson is alergic to scoring goals.
EC45580D-5055-473E-B693-857D7EA1B286.png

Now since when is it a defenseman’s job to score goals? Don’t you see the word DEFENSE in there? Do I have to spell it out for you? It’s called a DEFENSEMAN, not an OFFENSEMAN. If you want offense then you need to look somewhere beyond Adam Larsson, but this a is a legitimate #2 defenseman on almost every team in the league. A wise man, cup winning GM, he once said “Defense wins championships”. This is coming straight from a cup winning GM. My friend Dale Tallon.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I can't imagine showing that list up on the screen and then having to rationalize those moves. I'd just throw my hands up and laugh like, I got nuthin. I don't think they even showed the Koskinen contract at the end, which is another head-scratcher.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't imagine showing that list up on the screen and then having to rationalize those moves. I'd just throw my hands up and laugh like, I got nuthin. I don't think they even showed the Koskinen contract at the end, which is another head-scratcher.
Burke probably wants to defend Chiarelli at this point because the people who fired him are Kevin Lowe, who he's had a long-running feud with, which has been very public at times.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Puck Soup had somebody who wrote a book about the Islanders infamous Fishsticks rebranding on and good lord is that some funny shit.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah I remember thinking something like that with Brent Sutter when Lou hired him, it was his only out of the organization hire since Burns and he went back to the old boys network after Sutter left us in the lurch :P

No way...you don't trade down 28 spots in the early part of the draft in that hypothetical for just another late 2nd. The Rangers used a second to trade up FOUR spots late in the first round of last year's draft.

Heck people still haven't forgiven Lou for 'trading' a #11 pick for #29 and #30.

teams loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove 2nd round picks. without them we wouldn't have palm and to a lesser extent mojo or mueller. having more picks gives you more options which when trying to improve a team is never a bad thing.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
yet tampa seems to be doing ok. granted they have to worry about serg and vlas
that's exactly why it's fine for them.. leafs have to pay matthews, marner, and maybe gardiner, if they want to keep him. yeah, they have 14mil of space to play with, but it's gonna get tight really quick.

as for tampa, they have a good chunk of their D coming off the books this offseason - stralman, girardi, and coburn - for a total of 11.2M

they give point a good raise. serg is RFA next year, but callahan comes off the books.

Steve Y did a good job down there to make it last a while, but idk if the leafs will be able to

nylander situation was stupid

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
that's exactly why it's fine for them.. leafs have to pay matthews, marner, and maybe gardiner, if they want to keep him. yeah, they have 14mil of space to play with, but it's gonna get tight really quick.

as for tampa, they have a good chunk of their D coming off the books this offseason - stralman, girardi, and coburn - for a total of 11.2M

they give point a good raise. serg is RFA next year, but callahan comes off the books.

Steve Y did a good job down there to make it last a while, but idk if the leafs will be able to

nylander situation was stupid

I think TB is running out of runway. They have about 50 mil tied up in 10 forwards next year and about 17 mil tied up in four defenders two of whom are very young and another 4.5 in goalies and about 2 in buyout carryover. They will make it work but if Point declines the bridge and wants 8 years at top dollar that might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

Man can I work a cliche or what.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's a bit different too in that Matthews will probably be somewhere between Tavares and McDavid in terms of cap hit, with Marner probably not that far behind. So they could have 3 players making more than Tampa's biggest contract, which will be Kucherov at 9.5 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad