Around The League 2018-19 IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think the celebrations are cringey, but don't care for them enough to be bothered by them. This turn, however, is fantastic and I would absolutely buy one of those shirts if I was a Canes fan. Embrace the hate!

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Some of the takes on the post game celebration are really bad.

Yeah it is cheesy, but the guys showing some emotion and having some fun shouldn’t be discouraged. It isn’t hockey players fault they are generally quite bland people.

I would LOVE for more personality to be injected into the game of hockey. You see some glimpses of it during All-Star weekend but it's unbelievable how robotic the majority of players and coaches sound in your typical interview or feature piece. The world is changing. The newer generation seems to LOVE viral-type stuff. If the Hurricanes doing a silly celebration after every win gets more eyeballs on the league and the game of hockey, how can that be a bad thing?

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
People actually pay attention to what Don Cherry says?

I had to laugh when the Caps won the cup, led by a Russian captain. According to him, it would never happen. I remember Ron MacLean asked him about this and Cherry did his best to back track without really back tracking. He basically said OV isn't like the other Russians lol

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm not even annoyed by this whole thing with the Canes yet.

I think a lot of the celebrations are kind of lame and stupid, but I also think it's even stupider to be outraged by them, to the point where its not even just annoying people, but making them so mad and calling it an embarrassment to the game.

This is exactly where I'm at. Do I like or enjoy their celebrations? No I think they're asinine. Am I mad about them doing it or people who like them? No, idgaf. Do you.

Reactions: Bleedred

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I would LOVE for more personality to be injected into the game of hockey. You see some glimpses of it during All-Star weekend but it's unbelievable how robotic the majority of players and coaches sound in your typical interview or feature piece. The world is changing. The newer generation seems to LOVE viral-type stuff. If the Hurricanes doing a silly celebration after every win gets more eyeballs on the league and the game of hockey, how can that be a bad thing?

Because crusty old white people dont like anyone on a "team" showing individuality. You're supposed to stay in your lane and be a robot and mouthpiece for the organization. It's honestly a bunch of crap tbh. Don Cherry is an asshole and I can't believe people still even entertain the guy let alone have him on TV.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
don cherry definitely has a role as a tv personality but it’s obvious he doesn’t speak for everyone.

anyway the “stay in your lane and don’t show individuality/respect tradition” attitude hasn’t done the league a whole lot of favors from a popularity perspective. good for carolina creating publicity for themselves and the league, since when is that bad???

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Because crusty old white people dont like anyone on a "team" showing individuality. You're supposed to stay in your lane and be a robot and mouthpiece for the organization. It's honestly a bunch of crap tbh. Don Cherry is an ******* and I can't believe people still even entertain the guy let alone have him on TV.

He's great for the game.

Why you so angry?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
cherry is like our version of milburry somehow both are employed and viewed by national crowds

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Because crusty old white people dont like anyone on a "team" showing individuality. You're supposed to stay in your lane and be a robot and mouthpiece for the organization. It's honestly a bunch of crap tbh. Don Cherry is an ******* and I can't believe people still even entertain the guy let alone have him on TV.

I don’t like Don Cherry either but why does his race have to be mentioned as if every person of his color is the same?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I don’t like Don Cherry either but why does his race have to be mentioned as if every person of his color is the same?

i get what the op is saying and i agree with him. i do think you are taking it too literal in saying that everyone isn't like cherry which is pretty obvious.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
i get what the op is saying and i agree with him. i do think you are taking it too literal in saying that everyone isn't like cherry which is pretty obvious.

His race has nothing to do with why he is a poor human being with terrible opinions and taste in clothes. So leave it out of the conversation.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I'd be shocked if more than 600 people in all of the Carolinas have any idea who Don Cherry is.

They should keep it that way.

Actually, just track sales of the shirt and you will know within a 1% margin of error exactly how many people in that region know who he is.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Wanting to leave race out of the conversation is tacit support for the status quo. And if you truly do not think race has played a role historically (and will continue to play a role moving forward) in gatekeeping in sports, I don't know what to tell you.

Probably a topic for another thread

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Wanting to leave race out of the conversation is tacit support for the status quo. And if you truly do not think race has played a role historically (and will continue to play a role moving forward) in gatekeeping in sports, I don't know what to tell you.

I’ve literally said that I think the guys opinion is horrible and that he shouldn’t have a job because of the way he acts. All I asked was that his race or color wasn’t used as an excuse to lump him in with other people like him in that sense. So you are wrong, I don’t want the status quo.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad