Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If we go by same rules for this draft we protect.

1.All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits). So that leaves Buff as someone we have to protect as he will have a modified NMC, which is still seen as an NMC.

2. All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits). So that means guys like Niku, Harkins, Appleton etc. will be available as they will all be 3rd year pro's at that the time of the draft.

7F, 3D, 1G
Scheif, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Armia, Wheeler (likely NMC)

Buff (NMC), Trouba, MoJo
Hellebuyck

That leaves Copp, Little, Perreault, Dano, Tanev, Lemieux, Petan, Appleton, Spacek, Harkins, Hendricks, Kulikov, Myers, Chiarot, Morrow, Niku, Poolman, Mason, Hutch and Comrie off the current roster that will not be protected. It's likely a few of them are gone but Seattle is likely going to go after a solid young guy like Appleton I'd imagine. It's possible he jumps someone and gets protected. There will also be Niku and Poolman available should they decide to go with a D. Either way Seattle is going to get a very solid player from us. Or we will have to make another deal.
No Lowry?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Trouba's not signed by July 1 I think they have to move him or risk losing him to an offer sheet. $8.3M x 1 would screw the Jets - too much to sign, not enough coming back as compensation.
I still think that if Trouba has clearly signaled that he doesn't want to sign long-term in Winnipeg, the Jets will try to move him before July 1st. Chevy is on record as saying that they want to build around young players that "want to play here". If Trouba has had a change of heart and sees this as a good team for him to lead and succeed with, then give him a good long-term contract offer and try to sign him. Otherwise, the Jets should look to move him for a mix of short-term help on D and some futures to continue to build from the bottom up for the future.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think all NMC's were required to be protected if they had not yet expired.

Yeah according to Wikipedia it was only void if the contract expired on July 1 2017. I knew there was something but doesn't apply in this case.

Teams were required to protect any contracted players with no move clauses (NMCs) with one of the team's slots for protected players, unless the contract expired on July 1, 2017, in which case the NMC was considered void for the draft.[9][10] Players whose NMCs had limited no trade clauses had to still be protected

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Wild lose to the Coyotes, Nashville beat the Oilers who were up 2 but lost 4-2. Nashville up on us by 6. Wild winning streak snapped, thanks Jets 1.0

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As if the Oilers would do anything to help us out . 6 points back is really tough to make up now , good that the Wild at least lost .

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I wonder if Vegas is planning on putting a few offer sheets out there this summer...? They are going to have tons of cap space ($33M+) and a lot of good options to either come away with a good player or screw up a lot of teams' best laid cap plans. If the cap ceiling is $80M that means an offer of up to $8.3M AAV would only cost them a 2019 1st, 2nd and 3rd (and they've kept all their 2019 picks so they can do it). Check out our RFAs the next year or two...yikes.

Karlsson + Ryan

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So that leaves Buff as someone we have to protect as he will have a modified NMC, which is still seen as an NMC

Cap friendly defines Buff as a modified NTC after this season. NMC disappears after this season. I don't think your interpretation there is correct. There would be no requirement to protect Buff in 2020.

IMG_0613.jpg

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
In the end we just lose one player. Hell we only lost Thorburn last time :sarcasm: I didn't fret too much then and I won't this time either

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Canucks have many people that drive up from Seattle already. Seattle is not looking at having Vancouver people drive down. Seattle is one of the great sports markets in NA that has a huge hole over the winter. Big population, great hockey history, large median income, history of support for both hockey at lower levels and great support for sports in general (see Sounders/Seahawks). I am not surprised one bit that they are a huge hit from the word go. Seattle is a much more sure bet than Golden Knights and we've seen how strong the Knights have been off the ice. Can't wait for the expansion to finalize.

Word is Bettman stated Seattle likely uses same expansion rules. Wonder how they will do in draft as team's will know better how to handle the draft.

I'm not disputing that Seattle won't be a good/great NHL market, I just can't see people from the lower mainland travelling to Seattle for NHL hockey unless it's a Seattle vs Canucks game/

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Having 5 border crossings between Van & Abbottsford also spreads out the congestion.

Do you know that I was one of the originals who discovered using the truck crossing was faster than the Peace Arch crossing. Sip in 1995!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Cap friendly defines Buff as a modified NTC after this season. NMC disappears after this season. I don't think your interpretation there is correct. There would be no requirement to protect Buff in 2020.

IMG_0613.jpg
If the XD rules are the same in 2020, Buff would be an ideal candidate to be left unprotected. A season left in his contract at $7.6M, and without a NMC.

Reactions: Robinson2187

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If the XD rules are the same in 2020, Buff would be an ideal candidate to be left unprotected. A season left in his contract at $7.6M, and without a NMC.

True: almost no downside. You either get rid of an expiring and somewhat expensive contract, or you retain a defenseman that should still be useful on the 2nd/3rd pairing if he's not selected. One less player to protect.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ugh.. 6 points up. That blown lead on Tuesday really hurts now.
I don't see us catching Nashville. They are not likely to falter so we would need to go on a pretty insane run down the stretch. At this point continuing to play well and staying safely in 2nd is the most realistic best case outcome. Go into the 1st round as series favorites with home ice advantage. I'd take that with a big smile on my face.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Duke749

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't see us catching Nashville. They are not likely to falter so we would need to go on a pretty insane run down the stretch. At this point continuing to play well and staying safely in 2nd is the most realistic best case outcome. Go into the 1st round as series favorites with home ice advantage. I'd take that with a big smile on my face.

Since my hope going into the season was a wildcard spot, I will happily take 2nd in the division :thumbu:. Also, first in the division could very well give you a first round match up with Anaheim and I am not sure that is desirable at all. Sure we can beat them, but would we have anyone healthy left for the second round?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I put in my deposit today to hopefully get the season tickets when NHL comes here. Not sure if I'll still be here by the time the franchise is in the NHL but hopefully I will see future Seattle legend Ben Chiarot in person in a couple of years.

Hey I'll take all the Jets games off your hands if your selling ;)

I was on the Jets waiting list while I still lived in Winnipeg. I never intended to ever buy ST. I just wanted access to playoff tickets. On top of that the perks, especially the merch discount were enough to justify the annual fee.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

We do have two games remaining against the Preds. So it's not out of the question. But the central does appear to be settling into this

Nas
Wpg
Min
Dal

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Regarding the Seattle XD, if Tolvanen plays for the Preds for this Stanley Cup run will that count as his 1st year? so by 2020 and the XD would he need to be protected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad