Around the League - 2015/2016 Edition Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Caught the end of the Ducks game. Man, Bieksa is awful out there.

Another OT loss for the Ducks. I don't think Getzlaf was even on the ice during the 3 vs 3 this time around. Rakell was with Perry at the end there.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Hope kesler misses the playoffs so bad.

Then he'll demand a trade home

I sincerely doubt a team will take that contract without Anaheim retaining/adding other assets, especially given how he's played this year. I know I wouldn't take that contract. But watching the Ducks suck is more amusing than the 2011 Season.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I sincerely doubt a team will take that contract without Anaheim retaining/adding other assets, especially given how he's played this year. I know I wouldn't take that contract. But watching the Ducks suck is more amusing than the 2011 Season.

Well the Red Wings are about to pay Abdelkader 4M x 7 years. Maybe Kesler does go home?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Ummm, because great third liners aren't easy to get? Plus we're entering a new era that 4m is third line money?

In a vacuum, 4m for a great third liner is OK.

But then you have to analyze the rest of the situation, and that's where the issues arise.

Detroit has a lot of young guys to fill holes on the wings, have other cap coming off the books soon, do they need to push money into Abdelkader - especially for 7 years? Is he even a great third liner? He has had only one ****ing season over 30 points.

Same issue I have with the canucks. yes, I think sutter is a better player and a player you're more likely to win with as your 3c than bonino, but at what cost? is he worth 3m more per season? could more money have been used in other places? the NTC will make him tough to trade if someone is outplaying him..

it's a handicap giving guys that kind of contract. bolland in FLA is another example. you give him a huge contract, but he's a 3c and shouldn't be pushed past that. now you have guys who have stepped up past bjugstad and barkov in howden and trocheck - now he's instantly redundant

it's more than likely going to be a handicap after 2 or 3 years - that's the issue. abdelkader, bolland, sutter.. same thing

i'll throw out some more examples

pouliot was no more than 3rd line winger, but was given a 4m+ contract. he's actually lived up to it so far, but it was a risk. it could easily go the other way instantly, and they'd have another three years after this to deal with.

not a 3rd liner by any stretch yet, but kesler's contract is awful. just thought i'd throw it out there, because it's one of the worst in the league now and i laugh at it.

beleskey was another contract example.

soderberg will look awful in a few years

clarkson, clowe, umberger..

franzen was awesome for a while, but again, he's signed until he's like 40 - that contract will have years of hell at the end.

Kings signing an at the time 29 year old D Brown who was pacing at like 45 points, and was clearly showing signs of slowing down, to an eight year contract

could go on and on with these kind of forwards

What's the correlation here? Guys that are slowing down, have already slowed down, or will slow down soon. It's really predictable. Not many players take leaps in their late twenties.

most of these contracts go down the same path.

kopitar is one of the league's best, but if I'm a general manager, I don't give him an eight year contract. Odds are he slows down like any other player. Not every player is Jagr in sustainability.

Meh.

edit, sorry for this ****** formatting, looked fine while I was split-screening netflix.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
ofc he did

but even in free agency i doubt there's a team who's giving him more than 5 years

holland has gone insane, he's not what he once was

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
ofc he did

but even in free agency i doubt there's a team who's giving him more than 5 years

holland has gone insane, he's not what he once was

Everybody's crazy but the people here who would never sign those contracts if they were GMs

Market value- Players have agents. And a union. And free agency leverage.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
but these contracts are all BAD.

it's market value, yes. I just made a post on it, i'm not sure if you read it, but it was a pretty big one. don't know how you could miss it.

but most of them turn out the same ****ing way. that is the point. and because of that, you don't give players those contracts, and you be the GM who laughs at those ****** contracts other teams are giving out.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Everybody's crazy but the people here who would never sign those contracts if they were GMs

Market value- Players have agents. And a union. And free agency leverage.

It's also a GMs job identify if a player is worth walking away from or handcuffing yourself for 7 years with a bad contract.

Sometimes, it's better to just walk away. Especially when the player you are walking away from is a top 6 tweener. They can always be picked up anyway in FA.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Which team doesn't sign core players to long term contracts? Or do you not think "3rd liners" can be core players?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Which team doesn't sign core players to long term contracts? Or do you not think "3rd liners" can be core players?

It's not like Detriot would have trouble replacing a core player with Larkin/Pulk in their lineup.

I mean really, a bottom of the line core player is no reason to handcuff yourself over for 7 seasons.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013

you didn't see any of us complaining about the long term deals burrows, higgins, or hansen received.

it's the dollar amount, and that it is tough to move because of the NTC

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I would have thought he would get something like 3.5m x 5 yrs. The term is a little long but 4m isn't that bad.

Considering Detroit is going to have a lot of youngsters on the team in the next couple of years I guess they can afford this sort of contract.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I would have thought he would get something like 3.5m x 5 yrs. The term is a little long but 4m isn't that bad.

Considering Detroit is going to have a lot of youngsters on the team in the next couple of years I guess they can afford this sort of contract.

again, the issue isn't what the exact value of the contract is - it's in the high end of what I thought was fair market value for him.

the issue is that it's still not a smart contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad