Around the League - 2015/2016 Edition Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
NHL looking to hire female refs.

I just hope they pick the person more qualified rather than just hire the person with the most qualification. But that may be hard because I don't think there are many women out there that do ref in mens leagues.

Aside from the funny mistake in your sentence above, I'm going to pick on you a little bit. I'm sure you don't mean this badly but these type of statements are actually incredibly destructive.

What reason is there to think that candidates without proper qualifications will get hired? None. This is simply an old affirmative action boogeyman. Even if this were a legitimate concern, the discrimination of minorities in the workplace is a far more pressing problem. Yet anytime this topic is brought up, the posts about "undeserving minorities stealing our jobs" (intentionally exaggerating here) are far more prevalent than any sort of support for progressive policies.

And even if the NHL went out and actually hired a completely unqualified woman as an NHL referee, that would still not be anywhere near a big enough issue to warrant a thread on these boards. She would certainly not be the first incompetent ref in this league.

Instead of discussing the potential of hiring unqualified candidates (which is a non-issue), why not instead discuss what can be done to allow women to easier transition up the ranks as referees? And the policy of allowing (& encouraging) women to attend these NHL refereeing camps is certainly a step in the right direction.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The number of great contracts signed since the Sbisa travesty is embarrassing.
What a colossally poor evaluation.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Canuck fan living and attending games in Edmonton. Just have to say Connor McDavid is absolutely amazing to watch. Such unreal speed and hockey sense. I'm still quite satisfied with Bo Horvat but that McDavid is going to be quite the thorn in the side of the Canucks for years to come

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
When an amount of complaining about a thing greatly eclipses the amount to which it actually exists or affects the real world, then yeah... it's a boogeyman.

I don't see too much complaining. There is a real issue where sometimes people get hired for a job they aren't qualified for, just to meet a quota. Not all the time, but it does happen often enough for it to be a problem. In the NHL I don't think it's going to be an issue because if some woman were hired for the job, and was clearly worse than all the other officials (which would be amazing), then there would be an uproar as we would all be able to see it on the TV. So in this instance I don't think it's an issue. However, it is a real issue when we talk about military personnel, police officers, firefighters and others who need to be very good at their job for the safety of others, and don't think it's out of line for people to complain about it. If I'm in a burning building, I'm sorry but I don't care about quotas, I want the most qualified person to be pulling me out of the house. I think it's shameful for someone to get a job just because they're a woman or a minority when there are more qualified candidates, just as I feel it's shameful for a man or a Caucasian to get a job just because someone is sexist or racist and doesn't want to hire someone else. Both of these situations happen and they both need to stop.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Canuck fan living and attending games in Edmonton. Just have to say Connor McDavid is absolutely amazing to watch. Such unreal speed and hockey sense. I'm still quite satisfied with Bo Horvat but that McDavid is going to be quite the thorn in the side of the Canucks for years to come
Neh, we're fine.
Hockey is a team game, Pittsburgh didn't kill everyone in their division.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
When an amount of complaining about a thing greatly eclipses the amount to which it actually exists or affects the real world, then yeah... it's a boogeyman.

Is that a shot at pretty much every SJW related issue in the west?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Aside from the funny mistake in your sentence above, I'm going to pick on you a little bit. I'm sure you don't mean this badly but these type of statements are actually incredibly destructive.

What reason is there to think that candidates without proper qualifications will get hired? None. This is simply an old affirmative action boogeyman. Even if this were a legitimate concern, the discrimination of minorities in the workplace is a far more pressing problem. Yet anytime this topic is brought up, the posts about "undeserving minorities stealing our jobs" (intentionally exaggerating here) are far more prevalent than any sort of support for progressive policies.

And even if the NHL went out and actually hired a completely unqualified woman as an NHL referee, that would still not be anywhere near a big enough issue to warrant a thread on these boards. She would certainly not be the first incompetent ref in this league.

Instead of discussing the potential of hiring unqualified candidates (which is a non-issue), why not instead discuss what can be done to allow women to easier transition up the ranks as referees? And the policy of allowing (& encouraging) women to attend these NHL refereeing camps is certainly a step in the right direction.

But she would be the first incompetent female referee in this league....this would probably be a setback for seeing more female refs in the future.

I also don't really agree that they should be trying to find ways to allow women to transition up the ranks faster as refs...they should have to work their way up just as every other ref has to. It's not fair to men who have put in their time working their way up.

The NHL should be concerned about hiring the best, most qualified people as referees, not the most diverse group of people.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

We are still lucky that they have yet to figure out how to play in their own end and bleed goals against at a very high rate.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
But she would be the first incompetent female referee in this league....this would probably be a setback for seeing more female refs in the future.

I also don't really agree that they should be trying to find ways to allow women to transition up the ranks faster as refs...they should have to work their way up just as every other ref has to. It's not fair to men who have put in their time working their way up.

The NHL should be concerned about hiring the best, most qualified people as referees, not the most diverse group of people.

This. The only reasons for this announcement are PR to be a league that promotes equality, and to maybe hint at lower leagues to hire female referees if they're qualified so that they can maybe one day make it to the NHL. I really do hope that now or in the future there are qualified female officials in the NHL, I just seriously doubt there are any at this moment and don't want a spot given to them just because the NHL wants some SJW points.

If the Canucks had a female prospect in their system for some reason, would you want the Canucks to keep her up even if she was massively underperforming, to promote some bastardized version of equality? I want Subban to make the Canucks roster, I have really high hopes for him, but imagine how insane it would be to gift him a spot that he doesn't deserve just because our entire team is white. I know that type of thing doesn't happen in the NHL, and I'm glad and I hope it stays that way. Not just for players, but for officials as well.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Anyone else just want to see a blockbuster trade go down, its been pretty boring around the league, imagine a Stamkos trade hf would go nuts

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If the league can find a 6'0 200 lb. female ref who can break apart 230 lb. men in a fight, I'm all for it.

But as long as fighting is a part of the sport, I don't see how any remotely normally-sized female can be an official in this league.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
If the league can find a 6'0 200 lb. female ref who can break apart 230 lb. men in a fight, I'm all for it.

But as long as fighting is a part of the sport, I don't see how any remotely normally-sized female can be an official in this league.

Linesmans are full of meat n potatoes. Refs are normal sized.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

People keep saying this. It keeps being false.
Things go haywire in NHL games all the time, and referees need to step in. Even if it's 'usually' linesmans job to separate players.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I can't see a 5'6" 140 lb. ref, either - male or female. Linesman are obviously primarily involved in that sort of stuff, but refs do get involved in scrum/line brawl situations.

It's very different from, say, basketball where the physicality component is much less important.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Without knowing the statistics I would assume that that it is much more difficult for a women to work their way up and therefore the league should step in to level the playing field.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I can't see a 5'6" 140 lb. ref, either - male or female. Linesman are obviously primarily involved in that sort of stuff, but refs do get involved in scrum/line brawl situations.

It's very different from, say, basketball where the physicality component is much less important.

scapinello_ray_linesman_sundin_mats_leafs_chat_325x183.jpg

Ray Scapinello was the best in the business for over 33 seasons and he didn't crack 5'6.

If you want to make this an issue about female refs breaking up fights/scrums that's fair. Their upper body strength simply isn't capable of handling grown men.

As long as the NHL doesn't move to a gendered physical test (ie easier for females) I would be fine with 1 ref on the ice who can't handle a scrum.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Are there any sports currently where men play with women refs?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

What reason is there to think that candidates without proper qualifications will get hired? None. This is simply an old affirmative action boogeyman. Even if this were a legitimate concern, the discrimination of minorities in the workplace is a far more pressing problem.
Affirmative action is sexism and is active discrimination. I don't care whether a ref is male or female, but I do care that the hiring process does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of being male/female.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad