Around the League - 2015/2016 Edition Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yes I should have proofed that, I meant that Zboril was least off the board at that range.

Senyshyn's growth has been in goal scoring as he has 10 goals in 18 GP already.

Virtanen went from a line of 71-45-26-71 in his draft year and was drafted as a goal scoring power winger to a 50-21-31-52 line which was a disappointment.

In contrast both Nylander and Ehlers have had exceptional offensive progress since their draft years and while Jake is in the NHL it is as a sub 10 MPG player so we ahve no idea on how he has progressed in relation to his draft status.

What do you mean "have no idea"? Don't you watch the games? Sure we don't know his ultimate ceiling but he's adapting and progressing well so far.

Senyshyn's 10 goals in 18 is still below Virtanen's draft year pace so his "growth" still has him behind Jake's starting point. He's also well below a PPG level, which is also below Jake. Progress is not the only thing to factor in, otherwise Kyle Pettit should be considered a great pick.

Boston reached not once but twice and though the season is still early the gap has only widened for both. That alone makes it far worse than the Virtanen pick.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
What does Virtanen have to do with the Bruins taking Senyshyn? Or Debrusk?

You're also ignoring the fact that Virtanen had shoulder surgery in the summer after he was drafted. And while I wanted Nylander, I have no doubt in my mind you'd be bringing up Virtanen as a positive and good prospect had we taken Nylander.

Predictable shtick.

i love it that sweeney took senyshyn with bostons first.

the kid is barely a ppg and he was taken in the middle of the first round of a strong draft.

absolutely dumbest draft choice i have seen

the OP called Senyshyn "the dumbest draft choice I have seen" which is bit ironic given the guy's progress this year and compared to Jake the year after his draft year.

Yes Jake was injured then he came back and played when healthy. his stats and progression offensively were a disappointment last year.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Bob McKenzie reporting that the Avs are shopping Duchene because they need help on D and Roy doesn't like him (for a laugh, go check out Cody McLeod's ice-time stats this season). Amazing if so - the team that let Stastny go for nothing and O'Reilly go for practically nothing, in a league that values centers above everyone else, is going to dump Duchene too?

What a disaster that O'Reilly trade was. Grigorenko and Zadorov look like replacement-level NHLers, at best.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
What do you mean "have no idea"? Don't you watch the games? Sure we don't know his ultimate ceiling but he's adapting and progressing well so far.

No we have no idea if Jake will warrant the 6th overall selection. IMO he should be back in junior and dominating instead of trying not to make a mistake and averaging 9:49 MPG and also spending time in the press box.

Time will tell and I'm hope that the Canucks aren't hurting his development and I also hope that he turns into a legit scoring power forward.

Senyshyn's 10 goals in 18 is still below Virtanen's draft year pace so his "growth" still has him behind Jake's starting point. He's also well below a PPG level, which is also below Jake. Progress is not the only thing to factor in, otherwise Kyle Pettit should be considered a great pick.

No stats isn't the only way to measure progress but it's pretty clear that one player progressed from where he was in his draft year in the scoring department while the other player didn't.

Boston reached not once but twice and though the season is still early the gap has only widened for both. That alone makes it far worse than the Virtanen pick.

Debrusk isn't a huge reach and sure Senysyn is in terms of absolute upside but his floor is very high and as high as Jake's floor IMO.

Senysyn may never live up to 15th in last years draft but it's a real stretch to call him the worst draft choice ever, don't you agree?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not enough goals around the league tonight......the most in a game right now is 7 goals....really...only 7 goals? The NHL is in a sad state.

This is a joke btw.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
No we have no idea if Jake will warrant the 6th overall selection. IMO he should be back in junior and dominating instead of trying not to make a mistake and averaging 9:49 MPG and also spending time in the press box.

Time will tell and I'm hope that the Canucks aren't hurting his development and I also hope that he turns into a legit scoring power forward.

No stats isn't the only way to measure progress but it's pretty clear that one player progressed from where he was in his draft year in the scoring department while the other player didn't.

Debrusk isn't a huge reach and sure Senysyn is in terms of absolute upside but his floor is very high and as high as Jake's floor IMO.

Senysyn may never live up to 15th in last years draft but it's a real stretch to call him the worst draft choice ever, don't you agree?

No one called Senyshyn the "worst draft choice". They called the reach of Debrusk + Senyshyn while Barzal and Connor were still on the board the worst show of drafting. And I agree, based on what is known at the time. Taking Jake at 6 is nowhere close. Like not at all.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Honestly, I really like if the league would increase scoring.

I love it when players rack up the points. It's fun.

I think it's dumb and it's sad that goals having to be increased is what makes fans interested more.

Call penalties that are actually penalties, and you'll see a slight scoring increase right there. No more clutch and grab BS.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I think it's dumb and it's sad that goals having to be increased is what makes fans interested more.

Call penalties that are actually penalties, and you'll see a slight scoring increase right there. No more clutch and grab BS.

I'd rather they'd call less penalties but more the with of the rink a little bit bigger.

Like 4 inches each side.

More ice = more skill = more skilled plays.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Bob McKenzie reporting that the Avs are shopping Duchene because they need help on D and Roy doesn't like him (for a laugh, go check out Cody McLeod's ice-time stats this season). Amazing if so - the team that let Stastny go for nothing and O'Reilly go for practically nothing, in a league that values centers above everyone else, is going to dump Duchene too?

What a disaster that O'Reilly trade was. Grigorenko and Zadorov look like replacement-level NHLers, at best.

Patrick Roy is cooked.

That roster is cooked. Best centre depth in the league to middle of the pack, and they didn't even manage to fix their defence in the process.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah, definitely a blindside hit.

Ont eh Avs topic...they are shopping/looking into interest for Duchene. That should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad