Around the League 2 - Tank command central

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The NHL.com story says it's related to his 2006 neck injury. Hope it's not career ending, but it sounds like it may wind up being that.

As it was, the 2006 injury was nearly career ending. IIRC had the fracture been a fraction of an inch greater it would have impacted his spinal cord and Cole would have been a quadriplegic.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
That sucks. One of those guys that I can't think of a negative thing to say about.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
That sucks. One of those guys that I can't think of a negative thing to say about.

The Red Wings fans seem annoyed that they now have nothing to show for a "bad trade" and there were also some less than choice comments he made during/after the last lockout, especially in response to Roman Hamrlik's comments about needing to force a deal. Aside from that, no - I think Cole garners a lot of respect for coming back from the neck injury. Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back. When Skinner was in his rookie year, Cole seemed to have an affinity to him and took him under his wing - maybe if we clean house in Charlotte, Cole could be an assistant or we move Stillman over to Charlotte and allow Cole to take over the forward development role?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The Leafs finish with ONE road win in 2015 :laugh:

At least they're not the '74-75 Caps- one road win in the entire season. '30-31 Quakers did it too, though with half as many games.

Actually, that'd be a hilarious list. Anyone know where I could find a list of the teams with the fewest road wins in NHL history?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The rumor, coming from a poster's friend who ostensibly used to work for a now-defunct radio station in Quebec, is that the NHL will announce on April 17th weekend (ie after the 1st round) that Las Vegas and Quebec will be getting teams via expansion and relocation from the East respectively.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
“I would expect that that would be criticized,” Rutherford said. “If we had [Christian] Ehrhoff and Letang playing, we could plug Lovejoy and [Ian] Cole where I expected they’d fit. One thing about Lovejoy that I said at the time: This is a trade that over time will not be in our favor. We traded a young player [Simon Despres] for him, but our hockey organization is basically a group of nine people, and [it was clear] the trade was made more for experience, a trade that would give us a better chance in the playoffs.”

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1871629

Good ole JR

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The rumor, coming from a poster's friend who ostensibly used to work for a now-defunct radio station in Quebec, is that the NHL will announce on April 17th weekend (ie after the 1st round) that Las Vegas and Quebec will be getting teams via expansion and relocation from the East respectively.

So they're going to 31? I get that you only have a certain amount of viable markets, but this seems like the worst possible outcome. Plus I never like to see anyone relocated in any sport. Give pretty much any city a winning team and fans will show up. Give pretty much any marketing an extended streak of ****** products on the ice/court/field and attendance will suffer. Remember when no one wanted to go see the Blackhawks and Penguins play?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I dunno if I buy that. 31 is a stupid number and who would relocate exactly? I don't think any Eastern team is in that much trouble and after all the effort the League went to to keep the Coyotes in the desert, they would just up and move another team?

Anyway, in funnier news, perennial Norris nominee, Justin Schultz has more career GP than the other five defensemen the Oilers are icing tonite do combined :laugh:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Makes zero sense to expand to 31. More expansion fee money for 32 teams and it evens conferences.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Not sure why it makes no sense to have 31 teams. If the conferences aren't even anyway, then who gives a ****? It's not like baseball or football where you couldn't schedule it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Not sure why it makes no sense to have 31 teams. If the conferences aren't even anyway, then who gives a ****? It's not like baseball or football where you couldn't schedule it.

The league should care. Right now 8/16 (or half) of the teams in the Easter Conference make the Playoffs. 8/14 of the teams in the Western Conference make the Playoffs. It may not seems like a big difference but it is actually very unfavorable to EC teams.

In a league where near 100% of profits are made in the Playoffs it matters.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I mean it's not like either of the Carolinas have any construction industry that operates along the east coast due to their central location along said coast or anything right?

Actually, now that I think about it, I saw a Uhaul truck in the parking lost of the Boston Pizza I go to with Arizona plates last week. I hope they aren't relocating my bar to Flagstaff :scared::eek:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The league should care. Right now 8/16 (or half) of the teams in the Easter Conference make the Playoffs. 8/14 of the teams in the Western Conference make the Playoffs. It may not seems like a big difference but it is actually very unfavorable to EC teams.

In a league where near 100% of profits are made in the Playoffs it matters.

I'm saying as a short term solution. If they expand to 31, they are going to 32 as soon as they get the chance. The current setup is just as dumb, adding 1 more team doesn't make it any worse.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

The NHL has gone with an odd number of teams before, especially in the run-up to another team coming online. In it's modern (Original 6-era onwards) history, the NHL has had 17 teams (1978-79), 21 teams (1979-1991), and 27 teams (1998-1999).

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
It still makes zero sense imo. News of an owner wanting to sell would spread like wildfire. And all is quiet on the western front. Besides, the rumor is suspect to say the least.

I'll agree Vegas is a done deal, but imo any other team will be expansion.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I mean it's not like either of the Carolinas have any construction industry that operates along the east coast due to their central location along said coast or anything right?

Actually, now that I think about it, I saw a Uhaul truck in the parking lost of the Boston Pizza I go to with Arizona plates last week. I hope they aren't relocating my bar to Flagstaff :scared::eek:

Metrolina Greenhouses is a family-owned, wholesale plant and services company that started business in April 1972. As a supplier to businesses who sell to consumers, it is quite common to see their trucks in the Charlotte area and upstate SC. They have the largest heated greenhouse in the United States; with 162 acres of indoor space, its floor area is more than 60% larger than that of Boeing's Everett Factory.

However, one time I went to Atlanta and saw a Metrolina Greenhouses truck in Marietta, which is the city's fifth-largest suburb. Based on this, I believe they're leaving Charlotte and moving to Georgia to become Metro Atlanta Greenhouses. :sarcasm:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It's possible that Montreal will rest their stars the last game of the year. Anaheim is doing it already.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Personally I find it ironic that it was a Swift Transportation truck considering that's Jerry Moyes' company. Oh no, Moyes is buying the team from PK and will then flip it to Balsillie! Maybe we're moving to Hamilton now! Oh noes!!!!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It still makes zero sense imo. News of an owner wanting to sell would spread like wildfire. And all is quiet on the western front. Besides, the rumor is suspect to say the least.

I'll agree Vegas is a done deal, but imo any other team will be expansion.

I'd say yes and no there. But the most recent we've heard about an owner looking to sell was PK saying, what was it two years back now, that his price would be damn significantly over the reported team value. Doesn't mean that nothing's happening, but we most definitely would have heard more by now. The leadup to Atlanta leaving was prettymuch widely reported all over the place by January in the year it happened, and the speculation was there MUCH longer since it was widely known that the ownership group they had in place was only there for the basketball team.

There's been no such speculation here. Not about a hunt for a different ownership group (as was the case in Atlanta) nor a significant amount of leaks out of the Canadian media. All the Hamilton attempts were widely publicized, because Balisllie's an attention *****, and even while Winnipeg kept it significantly quieter there was still a very significant amount of information leaking from media sources. Not about major arena issues other then Yow being an ass because the building is owned by the Centennial Authority (which is not a hostile ownership group unlike A$G) and operated by Gale Force Holdings: AKA the frigin Canes themselves. And the lease runs another decade.

I haven't seen much other then idle speculation out of the pro-QC and/or anti-Sunbelt crowd about us, not one single even semi-credible article (IE: not some pointless rambling on Bleacher Report). The closest we had was the one guy, who's not even an NHL-related personality, on Dan Patrick that was simply speculating, not even really stating anything concisely.

Last edited:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
My relocation bet is still on the table if anyone is interested, maybe I should I mention that in one of those threads.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
What was it... 5-1 on Carolina not relocating within the next 5 years? I'm not trolling, that's a legit offer. If that would piss off people that continually **** on us as fans and a market they clearly know nothing about, **** em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad