Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Another forward changing zip codes, Maroon on the move

Kevin Weekes‏Verified account @KevinWeekes
Through this Courting Period for @NHL UFA, I’ve learned there are at least 6 teams that presently have interest in Patrick Maroon. Size, Soft hands,has played played with McDavid,Getzlaf,Perry and produced. @NHL @NHLNetwork

and as suspected, rumored post Trotz, Caps named Todd Reirden new head coach.

Reactions: King Trouty

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Carolina Hurricanes‏Verified account @NHLCanes 2h2 hours ago
We have agreed to terms with Valentin Zykov! The two-year deal will pay Zykov $650,000 in 2018-19 and $700,000 in 2019-20.

Hurricanes sign Russian forward Zykov to two-year contract

The power winger had 33 goals and 21 assists in 63 games for the Charlotte Checkers, the Canes' AHL affiliate, winning the 2018 Willie Marshall Award as the league's top goal-scorer.
Zykov also led the AHL in power-play goals (17) and shooting percentage (29.5).

Good for him, he's got a shot to make a young team better.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
We got hosed by trading away Zykov, would be the perfect guy on the third line on a cheap contract.

I think we will look back at June 2014 - April 2017 the same way we look back at the 1994-1997. Just amazing the amount of terrible transactions made by the Kings.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 1h1 hour ago
Multiple teams in on Jay Beagle but looks like VAN is front runner to land the UFA centre who is expected to leave WSH for a multi-year deal on July 1.

Nice pickup, I think he's a good bottom liner , good pk'er and very responsible 2 way center.

Guy is all heart and hustle. He’s been a winner at every level of pro hockey.

Always leery of over paying bottom line guys but the ‘Nucks are young and could use a veteran leader like him. They have a bunch of cap space to boot.

Interested to see the term and coin once it’s official.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Guy is all heart and hustle. He’s been a winner at every level of pro hockey.

Always leery of over paying bottom line guys but the ‘Nucks are young and could use a veteran leader like him. They have a bunch of cap space to boot.

Interested to see the term and coin once it’s official.

I always liked him and you're right about putting a pound of sweat in every shift, that's a good reason why 'multiple' teams are inquiring.

And he's killer in the circle, 58.6% faceoffs wins, 4th in the NHL

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Is this another case of us crying over a marginal prospect, because aside from scoring a few goals in Carolina, he hasn't done much.

If Zykov was here instead of somewhere else, he'd be getting roasted for not being a speedster and for not making the roster 5 years after being drafted. But since he's in Carolina, we gave up a pending superstar.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
If the rumors are true and the way Vegas is going to try to get Erik Karlsson is by taking Bobby Ryan's horrendous deal, they'll be putting themselves in a world of hurt as soon as the 19-20 season.

Here is what they could add to their books that season by making that one deal.

Karlsson: ~ $12M (a guess for the extension)
Ryan: $7.25M

Now, MAF and Nate Schmidt also need new deals this summer.
MAF: ~$6M
Schmidt: ~$5.5M

That's $30.75M (and bring the total commitment for 19-20 to $61.775M)

And I haven't even gotten into William Karlsson, Colin Miller or Shea Theodore.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbar

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If the rumors are true and the way Vegas is going to try to get Erik Karlsson is by taking Bobby Ryan's horrendous deal, they'll be putting themselves in a world of hurt as soon as the 19-20 season.

Here is what they could add to their books that season by making that one deal.

Karlsson: ~ $12M (a guess for the extension)
Ryan: $7.25M

Now, MAF and Nate Schmidt also need new deals this summer.
MAF: ~$6M
Schmidt: ~$5.5M

That's $30.75M (and bring the total commitment for 19-20 to $61.775M)

And I haven't even gotten into William Karlsson, Colin Miller or Shea Theodore.

Yeah, all this talk about how great Vegas has been with their roster, they always leave out the cheap contract will become very expensive , especially
Karlsson.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
If Zykov was here instead of somewhere else, he'd be getting roasted for not being a speedster and for not making the roster 5 years after being drafted. But since he's in Carolina, we gave up a pending superstar.

Who's calling him a pending superstar?

Would be nice to have a cheap scoring option for the bottom six who could maybe slot up in a pinch if someone got hurt. Lord knows this team could use some goal-scoring on the wing.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Who's calling him a pending superstar?

Would be nice to have a cheap scoring option for the bottom six who could maybe slot up in a pinch if someone got hurt. Lord knows this team could use some goal-scoring on the wing.

say, like, a gabriel vilardi, jonny brodzinski, adrian kempe type? But where would we find one of those?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
say, like, a gabriel vilardi, jonny brodzinski, adrian kempe type? But where would we find one of those?

The Kings view Kempe as a center. The other two are unproven (as is Zykov), but it doesn't hurt to have options.

Still curious where anyone came anywhere close to calling Zykov a superstar. The closest anyone came was @DryIslandBartender saying the Kings got hosed on the trade and that he would be a good cheap piece on the 3rd line. Don't know how that is some kind of hot take or anything.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings view Kempe as a center. The other two are unproven (as is Zykov), but it doesn't hurt to have options.

Still curious where anyone came anywhere close to calling Zykov a superstar. The closest anyone came was @DryIslandBartender saying the Kings got hosed on the trade and that he would be a good cheap piece on the 3rd line. Don't know how that is some kind of hot take or anything.

I thought it was obvious I was being facetious and referencing how every prospect we trade, people pine for.

My point, if you can see past the sarcasm, is he's a good prospect but he's also a dime a dozen, and while options are good, I don't think his chances of beating the other guys out were any good given he could hardly crack a Carolina lineup that had a bottom 10 offense and worse depth than we did.

And I liked him as a prospect more than most did honestly. But for everyone here chiming that we need more speed, well, Zykov isn't that guy. We could have just called up Mersch.

Reactions: TruKingFan

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
We got hosed by trading away Zykov, would be the perfect guy on the third line on a cheap contract.
Right.... a guy that did not progress as management were expecting, along with a couple injuries here and there......a guy that couldn't crack carolina's terrible forward lineup for 2 consecutive seasons.... let him get in a full season in the NHL before saying we got "hosed". Not like Versteeg played terribly while here.

Reactions: kingsfan28

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Speaking of Zykov, I watched him play in Ontario his rookie season before he was traded that year at the trade deadline. I also met him once. Good size frame. Limited english. His play on the ice was a bit less than I expected as there was a bit of hype surrounding him. He was kind of a one on one player, but he was a rookie trying to fit into the pro game, so it's not unusual to have that learning curve. What many don't know was that he was struggling most of the season likely due to a serious elbow injury on his right arm (shooting side). Swollen up quite a bit of the season like a grapefruit I understand, so in my book we gave up on him way too early for little in return, part of the DS/DL like veteran players routine. Now just in his third pro season, he lead the AHL in goals (unusual actually for a young player, often it's a career AHLer that's a veteran). I suspect he'll crack the Canes line up this year and be an NHLer, and in his limited games, has already shown he can score. He's in that forward age group where our talent is lacking. Appears to be a pretty decent contender to be a prototypical power forward. Time will tell, but my money is on this trade was a mistake. Not saying he'll be a star, but maybe a solid NHL player.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

I think if you want to criticize anything, is that DL wasted a high 2nd [37th] on him only to trade him for Versteeg. Remember the good players he use to find in the second and 3rd rounds? Only Justin Auger remains from the 2013 draft.

edit: Looking back on that draft, not a lot of guys have come out of it aside from a few in the 1st round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad