GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Montour would be great but I don't see him leaving Florida.
Florida is gonna have some decisions to make. Cap going up but they signed Forsling and his new contract kicks in next year which is pretty much the cap they'd get from the cap raising. Reinhart and Montour are going to be asking for huge raises and Reinhart might be asking for 10+ mil but maybe since it's Florida he'll get like 9.5 which is what Tkachuk got because of the taxes BS. It can be done to keep both but their depth won't be as good as they've had it. I think they'll stick with Reinhart and let Montour walk. Reinhart younger and was their leading scorer and Montour is already 30 most likely seeking an 8 year deal and he's pretty much only had 1 very good season in his career and Forsling can produce the same as Montour.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Marner is also what, 3 or 4 years younger. Plus an extra year of term.

I get the premise of using the other trade as a potential framing, but Marner should hold more value
No. Huberdeau had one year left when he was traded, the same as Marner. Huberdeau was 29 when he was traded. Marner will be 27 this summer.

I see your point. While I disagree because the situations are different (Tkachuk asked out not Huberdeau, etc)
That is exactly why Marner=Huberdeau. Marner isn't asking out. Florida wanted to move on from Huberdeau because they didn't want to sign his next deal, just like the Leafs with Marner.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Marner for a goalie doesnt seem very smart.

If he’s gone next year it won’t really matter.
Get something that will extend and solidify a position.

Ideally a player that could grow into a top 6 c would be ideal.

Any ideas?
Mctavish? Mercer? Wright?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not that this is the time for this, but....

Speculation aside, neither JT nor Marner are going to want to waive their NMCs. Leaving the team after this went down would be an extra humiliation, and both men are locals with ties to the city. Last night's game isn't going to be enough to change that.

Reactions: ULF_55

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Speculation aside, neither JT nor Marner are going to want to waive their NMCs. Leaving the team after this went down would be an extra humiliation, and both men are locals with ties to the city. Last night's game isn't going to be enough to change that.
Then they'll have to get a bit tough with them. Sort 3 trade scenarios with each of them, and then they can choose where they go from there.

This is just covert "run it back" stuff.

Reactions: Americanadian

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

This is bigger than 1 game. The humiliation goes back to the CBJ series.

I agree that Tavares won't waive. He has young kids, him and his wife are local. He'd probably retire instead of moving his family when his next contract is up.

Marner on the other hand has 10 years or so left in his career. He has one, maybe 2 big contracts to go. If Toronto makes it clear that he will not get that contract here, therefore he won't be a Leaf beyond next season anyway - I could see him being open to a move to a team that would want him.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

I don't know about that. I agree on JT, but I think with Marner's contract status up in the air (while Matthews and Nylander are locked in) and another potential difficult negotiation coming up, plus the ever growing media scrutiny around him he'd actually be open to moving on and getting a fresh start. Being tied to the city isn't always a good thing, it wasn't enough to endear ROR who didn't like the attention and media, and other locals who grew up Leaf fans like Seguin have let it be known about how they'd never play here. Many people like to separate their home and work life. Marner also seems to hate the media and he can't really handle the pressure of this market. He may be best suited to go somewhere with less scrutiny and where he may be insulated better.

The reality is that he will want more money than Willy and he's done nothing to really earn that. And for the first time, we saw some of the underlying cracks in the core dynamics, where even Matthews and Nylander basically told him to stop being a bitch. To me, that reveals a little about how he is perceived and current power dynamics.

Reactions: TheShape

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The reality is that he will want more money than Willy and he's done nothing to really earn that.
I think there is a fair argument that Marner has been a superior player to Nylander at every point of their tenures as Leafs and he deserves to be paid more. Neither of them deserve >10M which is the larger issue.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

What’s the point of being a hometown star if you can’t go anywhere without people being shitty to you? I don’t think Clarkson’s stint with us improved his hometown experience at all.

Reactions: Americanadian

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think there is a fair argument that Marner has been a superior player to Nylander at every point of their tenures as Leafs and he deserves to be paid more. Neither of them deserve >10M which is the larger issue.
That argument has really dried up the last couple of years especially with Matthews showing he doesn't need Marner yet Marner has to be stapled to Matthews, and I don't believe for a second that going forward Marner will provide more value than Nylander when it really matters.

What’s the point of being a hometown star if you can’t go anywhere without people being shitty to you? I don’t think Clarkson’s stint with us improved his hometown experience at all.
Exactly. Plenty of hometown guys never want to play here. Stamkos had the chance and he balked as well (smart man)

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
That argument has really dried up the last couple of years especially with Matthews showing he doesn't need Marner yet Marner has to be stapled to Matthews, and I don't believe for a second that going forward Marner will provide more value than Nylander when it really matters.
Nylander has definitely closed the gap offensively although he can't drive a line either. The gap is defensively. Nylander's offensive ceiling is higher than Marner but Marner is more consistent.

If I was building a team I wouldn't take either player on their future contracts.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

You are speculating just like everyone else.

It’s very possible that Marner wants out. The media has been all over him. He has openly talked about it even when they weren’t. He is facing another tough negotiation.

Most NHL players want 8 years. If that’s what he wants. He could pick his destination and extend there.

We will see what he wants to do. We don’t know.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Nylander has definitely closed the gap offensively although he can't drive a line either. The gap is defensively. Nylander's offensive ceiling is higher than Marner but Marner is more consistent.

If I was building a team I wouldn't take either player on their future contracts.
Marners consistency is pretty questionable. Multiple playoffs where he becomes a ghost. A regular no show in October.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is bigger than 1 game. The humiliation goes back to the CBJ series.

I agree that Tavares won't waive. He has young kids, him and his wife are local. He'd probably retire instead of moving his family when his next contract is up.

Marner on the other hand has 10 years or so left in his career. He has one, maybe 2 big contracts to go. If Toronto makes it clear that he will not get that contract here, therefore he won't be a Leaf beyond next season anyway - I could see him being open to a move to a team that would want him.

Anything is possible, and I'd say there's certainly a chance Marner decides he doesn't want to deal with the media/pressure. But he also is in full control of things, and imo pride is a difficult thing to overcome.

He also wouldn't be the first soon to be ufa in history who opted to decide to play out his contract and then decide his future later. If the team signals they don't want him now, he may decide to wait them out to see if they change their mind, or see if a new President comes in and feels differently

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We’re all gating because it’s what the team deserves but…

Marner is a elite talent in the league, top points getter
He would have big value in a trade, specially for teams that are contending and need help scoring

Dallas for example if they get knocked out early May be one

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
In what regard?

That they'll move him, and he'll start putting big points up?

How long it took him to stabilize himself as a quality top 4 defensemen .. traded for a mid round pick to Buffalo and again another mid round pick for Florida.

Sometime it just takes time with defensemen.

Reactions: aingefan

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
How long it took him to stabilize himself as a quality top 4 defensemen .. traded for a mid round pick to Buffalo and again another mid round pick for Florida.

Sometime it just takes time with defensemen.
I think they'll get more than a mid-round pick back if they do choose to move him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad