Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think it's just something that makes sense, the best leaders are and always have been battle tested. McDavid might be the most gifted player in the NHL, but talent doesn't give you experience, that's something you only gain with time.

I was kinda commenting in a way that was tongue and cheek, but there's a significant amount of truth in Lucic's statement. I don't think he was trying to tear down CMD or the Oiler's org. I think he was commenting that young leadership and old leadership are different and he feels he probably fits better in old leadership (Gio/Iggy/Chara) rather than being part of the leadership core as the vet.

IMO, old leadership differs in a way that might be more... urgent maybe? Or in a way where they approach things in a way that's sometimes full bore and sometimes marathon. Young leadership might be a little more either balls to the wall or lacking in urgency?

Good to hear about Bennett. His shot is easily the worst part of his game

So it sounds like Bennett, Hanifin and Lucic all working on their finish?

I’ll believe it when I see it with Bennett. Seem to vaguely recall he said something similar last season, and it just didn’t translate in the end.

Maybe? But I seem to recall his training was all over the place. One season he worked a ton on strength and messed up his game so he had to fix a few things... hopefully he figures things out and gets into a good groove.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was kinda commenting in a way that was tongue and cheek, but there's a significant amount of truth in Lucic's statement. I don't think he was trying to tear down CMD or the Oiler's org. I think he was commenting that young leadership and old leadership are different and he feels he probably fits better in old leadership (Gio/Iggy/Chara) rather than being part of the leadership core as the vet.

IMO, old leadership differs in a way that might be more... urgent maybe? Or in a way where they approach things in a way that's sometimes full bore and sometimes marathon. Young leadership might be a little more either balls to the wall or lacking in urgency?
I think it would definitely have a different feel. I think a great example is what we saw here with Stajan & Big Ern, even though they never wore letters. They took the young guys under their wings and helped them adjust to the NHL off of the ice and helped keep them in check. Where as the Oilers dumped most of their veterans and the ones they did bring in IMO are the wrong kind of veteran, like Andrew Ference who has a reputation of being preachy and pushing his environmentalist beliefs, a guy kids would probably pretty quickly tune out.

So it sounds like Bennett, Hanifin and Lucic all working on their finish?
Should be working on their Swedish with out lineup.

Reactions: Fig

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
days before Gaudreau signed we were reportedly far apart and Mirtle is far from a great Flames source.

I mean when the gm says it’s his expectation/hope/goal to sign Tkachuk before the start of training camp and yet are “not even close” a day before physicals, thats a pretty big miss imo: Tkachuk expected to sign with Flames before training camp, GM says

Definitely not the first source to say this isn’t close either.

Gaudreau had his worst season in the league missing training camp. I wouldn’t have my hopes up for a great year from tkachuk if he doesn’t sign within the week.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I mean when the gm says it’s his expectation/hope/goal to sign Tkachuk before the start of training camp and yet are “not even close” a day before physicals, thats a pretty big miss imo: Tkachuk expected to sign with Flames before training camp, GM says

Definitely not the first source to say this isn’t close either.

Gaudreau had his worst season in the league missing training camp. I wouldn’t have my hopes up for a great year from tkachuk if he doesn’t sign within the week.
I know what Treliving said and I know what Tkachuk's agent has said. My point is unless one side is leaking information to pressure the other, and even in that case, it may not even be true

Reactions: InfinityIggy

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I know what Treliving said and I know what Tkachuk's agent has said. My point is unless one side is leaking information to pressure the other, and even in that case, it may not even be true

Fair enough. The following weeks will tell the tale of this whole situation. Hopefully this charade ends soon and we can begin preparing for the 2019-20 season with the full roster.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Here they are!
HERITAGE CLASSIC JERSEY UNVEILED
cut.jpg

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
As great of a jersey as it is, and I'd love to have one, I just can't get on board with wearing a white jersey to a game. Does not contribute to the C of Red.

Would look sick out playing pond hockey though

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
As great of a jersey as it is, and I'd love to have one, I just can't get on board with wearing a white jersey to a game. Does not contribute to the C of Red.

Would look sick out playing pond hockey though

Agree mostly, but also because of spilled drinks and food lol.

Haha this is the same reason why I won't wear a white jersey to games too. I always make a mess with those pocket dawgs haha

it was the home when we wore them last

Yeah as much as I love the red retros I love the white ones for this reason. Unfortunately this looks too similar to the CCM white retro I bought a couple years ago so I'll pass on this one.

Edit: actually if they have any on discount at the end of season for a good price I might consider. That's when I bought the last heritage classic jersey. I've yet to wear it though.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Yeah as much as I love the red retros I love the white ones for this reason. Unfortunately this looks too similar to the CCM white retro I bought a couple years ago so I'll pass on this one.

Edit: actually if they have any on discount at the end of season for a good price I might consider. That's when I bought the last heritage classic jersey. I've yet to wear it though.
Same, picked up the last heritage for like $50 at the dome on the last regular season game. Haven't worn it, but looks good in the collection.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Looks like Mangiapane caved. Bit pointless for the Flames to be so obstinate about the two-way though. Now onto Tkachuk.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Looks like Mangiapane caved. Bit pointless for the Flames to be so obstinate about the two-way though. Now onto Tkachuk.
It's not pointless though. Sure right now it looks like he is unlikely to be waived and sent to the AHL, but how often have we seen guys look decent for 30 games only to disappoint the following season? If he struggles and looks overwhelmed, he very well could still get waived later in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad