Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Klimchuk about to get his big break.

tenor.gif

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's an agent's comments so you have to take it with a grain of salt but his handling over the last two seasons is probably a big reason as to why GG was fired.

The Full 60 podcast and Q&A: Agent Darren Ferris on Mitch...

(Author)Another client, Sam Bennett, it seems like he’s going a little bit.

(Agent)Yeah, and playing more. Last year, I don’t think he was the coach’s cup of tea in Calgary. It was frustrating. I don’t think opportunity was given to him last year. I thought it was detrimental to his development, to tell you the truth. It was looking like it was a time for a change in scenery. Things turned around. This year, he’s really strong here and he’s getting back to the old Sam Bennett with the opportunity and some really good coaching there. It’s really made a difference with that team overall.

(Author) With Sam, when a player is going through struggles, with coaches and not reaching expectations, how often are you in touch with them?

(Agent)You try to open some dialogue and find out what the underlying issues are, if there are any – is it the player? Is it maybe the coach, sometimes it’s not their cup of tea or the style of player they’re enamored with.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gulutzan definitely wasn't a fan of Bennett (or anybody on the roster for that matter) playing with an edge. And it showed with the boring, passive hockey. But it was especially harmful for Bennett because his game is basically based around that.

I always go back to Hartley's quote (“We know him — he’s like a tiger in a cage that didn’t eat for about a month.”). That's the kind of style that's going to bring Bennett success in this league. And it seems like Peters recognizes that.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gulutzan definitely wasn't a fan of Bennett (or anybody on the roster for that matter) playing with an edge. And it showed with the boring, passive hockey. But it was especially harmful for Bennett because his game is basically based around that.

I always go back to Hartley's quote (“We know him — he’s like a tiger in a cage that didn’t eat for about a month.”). That's the kind of style that's going to bring Bennett success in this league. And it seems like Peters recognizes that.

Funny that the guys who struggled most with Gulutzan are considered players of the mold of this generation; guys who skate hard and move the puck well?
Being honest, did anyone really take steps forward under Gulutzan? Like tangible steps where the coaching was a huge factor? It seemed the only guys who improved were guys who were going to be stars regardless.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Giordano is almost at his assists total from last season, and we still have 50+ games left. The past two years were such a waste of everyone's time.

Least we got Valimaki I guess

Reactions: FlamerForLife

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Giordano is almost at his assists total from last season, and we still have 50+ games left. The past two years were such a waste of everyone's time.

Least we got Valimaki I guess

I mean our team on paper (especially offensively) has way better depth and high end talent compared to last year. Some guys are having great seasons, but last years team was not playoff caliber.

This was what he had last year:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway
Lazar-Stajan-Brouwer

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

Compared to now (when everyone is healthy):

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Frolik-Ryan-Neal
Czarnik-Jankowski-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson

Defense is a wash, but that forward group is at least a caliber better than last years.

That bottom 6 was especially awful. All our RW's should've been bumped down a line at least.

Also having Bartkowski and Glass on our opening day lineup was disgusting too.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Being honest, did anyone really take steps forward under Gulutzan? Like tangible steps where the coaching was a huge factor? It seemed the only guys who improved were guys who were going to be stars regardless.

Monahan took a step forward under Gulutzan. Under Bob Hartley he may as well been a winger with how often he blew the defensive zone. At least now after Gulutzan got him playing below the hashmarks he's just a frustrating center.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'm fairly confident Chucky has been getting yucky for years in Calgary.

Oh definitely, but 21 is still symbolic if you're American. I can guarantee that Chucky's ringing up a tab at Paddy's after tomorrow night's game, win or lose.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

I feel like it's necessary to point out that Giordano wasn't putting up these kind of numbers away from Brodie. It's almost like they make each other better.

Obviously the biggest difference is coaching but I don't think people realize that Brodie makes Giordano a better player too.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The more I think about it, the more I get the sense that Hamilton was kept up with Gio for so long to showcase him for a trade. It had come out that Treliving had been trying to move him 18 months into his tenure here. There were also the reports that Hamilton wasn't very happy with the prospect being moved to the second pairing to re-ignite Brodie so maybe they kept him up there for as long as possible to pad his stats and get a big haul.

Not long after the season ended, it came out that Peters had that opt-out option in his contract and Gulutzan was a casualty of that clause. He then probably got intel on the targets he had in mind from Peters, and Treliving pounced to make a deal with the Canes, capitalizing on them being in a weird identity re-tool.

It truly was a perfect storm for everything. If not for that clause, Gulutzan might still be here. Hamilton probably wouldn't, but we might not have gotten Lindholm and Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad