Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I've sat in the 7th row behind the visitor bench.

You'll lose sight of the puck in the near corner(s) and along the near boards but that's off set by hearing the people yell on the bench.

Added bonus is that you're too high up to be on tv constantly.

Niiiiiiice, sounds pretty much perfect. Next time I splurge, might try and bump up a couple more rows.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Best seats I've ever sat in were Gold Level seats. 2nd seat row above the tv cameras at center ice. The seats belonged to the owner of the company I used to work for. I used to get a pair of tickets 2 or 3 times a year.
That was a few years ago. Back then he had the actual tickets in his possession and it was harder for him to give them away at the last minute. Now he just has to call up one of his buddies and e-mail the tickets to the guy.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
NHL Power Rankings: Calgary looks like the real deal

I can honestly say I didn’t see this one coming at the start of the season.

They lost the Dougie Hamilton trade, for sure, but right now it doesn’t look that way. Bill Peters is getting saves for the first time in forever, they’re putting up a ton of shots (and giving up too many, but y’know) and they look like they have actual talent throughout the lineup.

I’m not counting on them to keep it up all year just because of who’s immediately behind them in the division (San Jose and Vegas, both more talented on paper, but not yet playing that way) but they look good, man.

As a team they’re shooting 10 percent and that’s a smidge too high, but there miiiiight be something here. Especially if Mike Smith only starts occasionally.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

:laugh: Love the flat out statement that 'they lost the Dougie trade' like it's a matter of absolute fact.
Also love that the shooting percentage is something he's clamoring about, they sit 12th in the league in shooting percentage, essentially a few spots off league average (which works out to less than one extra goal per 100 shots).

I mean, as a Flames fan I looked at that roster and saw a good team. I saw a team that under-performed last year and had bad coaching. The best thing about this team is the only thing unsustainable was the bad goaltending they were getting.

That all being said, this is the highest I've ever seen Calgary on anyone's power rankings.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I mean, as a Flames fan I looked at that roster and saw a good team. I saw a team that under-performed last year and had bad coaching. The best thing about this team is the only thing unsustainable was the bad goaltending they were getting.

I'd point a finger at depth too, especially up front. We had a good core, but our depth wasn't there to support scoring at the rate needed, which was shown even more when our goaltending wasn't good enough to cover it up anymore.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd point a finger at depth too, especially up front. We had a good core, but our depth wasn't there to support scoring at the rate needed, which was shown even more when our goaltending wasn't good enough to cover it up anymore.

Oh, last year the depth was garbage.
I meant this year. If Calgary got competent goaltending from the start of the year, we'd probably be among the top of the league.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I am not really sure how anyone can look at our roster next to vegas' and say that they are more skilled throughout. That's just untrue. They got so far last year off of luck, gumption, and a never quit attitude and atmosphere, not skill. Their most skilled player (Marchessault IMO) is less skilled than ours (Johnny). Their most well rounded player (Karlsson) is less talented than ours (Tkachuk). They might be speedier than us throughout the lineup. Bad take IMO.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am not really sure how anyone can look at our roster next to vegas' and say that they are more skilled throughout. That's just untrue. They got so far last year off of luck, gumption, and a never quit attitude and atmosphere, not skill. Their most skilled player (Marchessault IMO) is less skilled than ours (Johnny). Their most well rounded player (Karlsson) is less talented than ours (Tkachuk). They might be speedier than us throughout the lineup. Bad take IMO.

It's just the easy conclusion to make.
Let's just casually skip over the fact Vegas got absolutely unreal goaltending from anyone with a pulse. That their #1D might crack Calgary's top 4. That there were career seasons for every single member of the team.

A team that makes Deryk 'Pylon' Engelland and Luca 'Significantly worse Pylon' Sbisa look like actually top 4/5 defenders.... I mean, who could imagine that that's sustainable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Plus if that's "clearly losing" a trade I want Brad to clearly lose a few more.

I'd really like Brad to completely lose a trade where we end up with a 1G and 2C in one move. Like, huge lose. Like worse than the Dougie loss.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After reading his analysis on the Flames/Canes trade I had to read what he says about Carolina. I don't want to gratuitously put down another team, but is this guy saying the Canes are one player (a goalie) away from being a Cup contender?

15. Carolina Hurricanes
I mean I’m not expecting the McElhinney Magic to last much longer, but if this team can get any kind of goaltending hoo boy look all the way out.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
After reading his analysis on the Flames/Canes trade I had to read what he says about Carolina. I don't want to gratuitously put down another team, but is this guy saying the Canes are one player (a goalie) away from being a Cup contender?

I mean Carolina would've made the playoffs the last 2 years if they had any sort of goaltending available to them. They aren't contenders, but they definitely are better than their record shows.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hey, a writer has to make a living right? Too bad his employer feels he is offering some sort of expert analysis. Now, having said that I like the act that we're in the top 20!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Anyone that thinks we automatically lost that deal shouldn’t be writing about the Flames. Hanifin has been better than Dougie this year and I feel very confident that he will surpass what peak Dougie was for us. Lindholm is so much better Ferland, that puts the nail in the coffin.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Mangiapane just came back from injury so hopefully they recall him.

It would surprise me if it was Bread simply because they will want him to get his swagger back post injury before they call him up.. If I were to guess Rychel, Lazar or Graovac. Nobody else really deserves a call up.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I don't think it will be Mangiapane recalled this time, apparently he needs to go through waivers to get sent back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad