Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Is it bad that msy legitimately affect me watching ganes? If I'm off eirl, I might not be as inclined to watch now

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I don't get the Freddie Hamilton thing. He played 4, 26 and 8 games for the Flames in prior years for the Avs he played 17 games, SJ 11 games and Phoenix 8 games so it wasn't like Calgary was giving him all these games that no other NHL team had given him before.

Who are all these better 4th liners that were going to have a big impact sitting in the PB or playing in Stockton for the vast majority of their time.

I am not saying that players didn't feel that way because people will create whatever BS narrative they want but whining about Freddie being given something that he didn't deserve sounds like sour grapes more than an actual legitimate gripe.

I am also no fan of Brouwer at all but the whining about his comments seem a little much as well. Brouwer fought plenty in his time with the Flames, it is the one positive he brought outside of when he understandably did not when his face was broken. He could have fought every single guy who slashed Gaudreau and it wouldn't have made a difference, plus wasn't it Staal that broke his finger? Staal wasn't going to fight anyways so all we get is a broken finger and a 7 minute PK to kill. And he was right guys face that all the time it wasn't like little John Boy was singled out, others are just able to play through it much better.

I am not sure how true those comments are but they speak more poorly about the guys doing the whining then they do about Brouwer or Hamilton.
I agree in lots of ways. Hamilton was not gifted game action. A guy like him being the one sitting in the box scratched isn't a bad thing. I'd rather have that than a more talented young player up and never playing

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's the reason I never watched the intermission shows already, nothing has really changed except now I won't watch them on road games either

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Brodano are goals

Awwww... if it wasn't for the fact they were married, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually found out about a little relationship between the two XD.

Seriously though, I can't think of any two players who enjoy playing with each other more than Brodie and Giordano.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I agree in lots of ways. Hamilton was not gifted game action. A guy like him being the one sitting in the box scratched isn't a bad thing. I'd rather have that than a more talented young player up and never playing

The issue players would have with F Hamilton, is that he didn't earn his one way contract. One way-two way may not mean shit to us, but that's a big thing to the players, escpecally the youngersters and journeyman. Work your ass off to get that one way, when they hand one to guy because of his last name.

That being said, imo, he wasn't terrible, and probably would've earned a one way either way as a warm body. But I can see how it would rub guys the wrong way.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
That might shed some new light on Brouwer's struggles. His hand injury was very shortly after Gaudreau's injury. He went from producing as he should to falling off the map. I always felt it was potentially an injury that never healed, but maybe it was more the room turning on him and it impacting his on-ice play.
Maybe he just always sucked and he started off "hot" (as much as one can say about Brouwer), then cooled off to his normal self.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

“I’ve played on a lot of teams where we were ranked as the No. 1 this or the No. 1 that,” Giordano continued. “That’s the biggest thing is, as players, is you have to make it count and work it out on the ice. Chemistry is a big thing, so we have to do that. Whether it be D partners or forward lines, we need to get that in camp and start off the season really fast because you can’t fall behind in the league.”

Several mentions of chemistry. Interesting.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
People always said Gio-Hamilton was an elite pairing. They were solid but I never saw what made them so iconic. I didn't think of Hamilton as much more than an offensively skilled #3D and thought that Giordano was being handcuffed offensively by Hamilton's laziness and Gulutzan's system.

They never played off of each other as well as Brodie with Gio

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
People always said Gio-Hamilton was an elite pairing. They were solid but I never saw what made them so iconic. I didn't think of Hamilton as much more than an offensively skilled #3D and thought that Giordano was being handcuffed offensively by Hamilton's laziness and Gulutzan's system.

I'm curious how much Gio's decrease in offensive output is tied to babysitting Hamilton and how much was tied to Gulutzan. I was re-watching some highlights from the seasons under Hartley, and he was so much more active on the rush, both in regulation and OT. Think that goal against the Kings he went coast to coast and scored by himself.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I think the reason people said that was because when our top pairing was on the ice over the last two years, the general trend is that we were outchancing and outscoring the other team. As in, if we could play that pairing for 60 minutes a night without a drop-off in their play, we'd win every game.

The same was true of Gio-Brodie back in the day.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'm curious how much Gio's decrease in offensive output is tied to babysitting Hamilton and how much was tied to Gulutzan. I was re-watching some highlights from the seasons under Hartley, and he was so much more active on the rush, both in regulation and OT. Think that goal against the Kings he went coast to coast and scored by himself.

Gio also stopped hitting the net with his shot. The year he really broke out before he got the biceps injury he was hitting the net and putting the puck in the net. The last two years he has either been missing the net or a lot of time getting his shots blocked. This is all in the o-zone not off the rush because like you said he almost never had off the rush opportunities playing with Hamilton whereas with Brodie he had a ton.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It really seems like Dougie was not well liked.

It's crazy how much this is coming out. I know reports out of Boston he was not well liked, but man, it seems like every member of the Flames brass this summer is talking about chemistry and wanting people who care, etc... It's like, you only let a few members go this summer; Brouwer, Dougie, Fox and Ferland.

The GM's spoken really highly of Ferland. Not too difficult to kind of get the rest of the picture.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gio also stopped hitting the net with his shot. The year he really broke out before he got the biceps injury he was hitting the net and putting the puck in the net. The last two years he has either been missing the net or a lot of time getting his shots blocked. This is all in the o-zone not off the rush because like you said he almost never had off the rush opportunities playing with Hamilton whereas with Brodie he had a ton.
There was such a repeated, mechanical process for the Flames under Gulutzan that it must have been part of the system. The two defencemen were where the boards meets the blueline. The puck would be moved from d-to-d, then the receiver of the pass would throw the puck hopefully to the net. That play happened dozens of times every game, and generated offence maybe 1% of the time, probably less. I hope we've seen the last of it.

Reactions: Mobiandi

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Fatherhood has matured ever-thoughtful Travis Hamonic even further - Sportsnet.ca

Hamonic just became my favorite current Flame. No joke. I lost my father to a heart attack when I was 11, so almost the exact same thing as him. I had no idea of this stuff he was doing. That's just incredible to me. And play aside, I'm incredibly happy an individual of this Calibre is part of the organization. I am going to get a Hamonic jersey this season

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fatherhood has matured ever-thoughtful Travis Hamonic even further - Sportsnet.ca

Hamonic just became my favorite current Flame. No joke. I lost my father to a heart attack when I was 11, so almost the exact same thing as him. I had no idea of this stuff he was doing. That's just incredible to me. And play aside, I'm incredibly happy an individual of this Calibre is part of the organization. I am going to get a Hamonic jersey this season

Have a feeling Hammer will be a Flames lifer now.
Like, they'll keep him in the fold moving forward, he'll resign here, and retire here. Seems like that type of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad