Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Have a feeling Hammer will be a Flames lifer now.
Like, they'll keep him in the fold moving forward, he'll resign here, and retire here. Seems like that type of guy.
I could see him maybe signing in Winnipeg after this deal ends if there's a spot, bit could easily see him staying

He isn't my favorite as a player by any stretch, but like, damn, that's just a good guy to have around .I especially appreciate he doesn't go around plugging his charitable efforts for attention constantly. That's how you know he's a good one

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I got no complaints about Hammer at all. He’s a top 4 dman all day, good skater, decent passer, very solid defensively and he’s a stud. I think he’s going to look 25-30% better this season.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Have a feeling Hammer will be a Flames lifer now.
Like, they'll keep him in the fold moving forward, he'll resign here, and retire here. Seems like that type of guy.

Hopefully his play doesn't go off a cliff then if he is a lifer. I'm fine with him as a lifer as long as his play dictates him being on the team. He is the definition of a character guy and a guy you want with your organization, just hope his play comes into form now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thinking of Stajan... I just... I just can't help.... I can't help to think...

I wish I was overpaid 5-6x how much I'm worth.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Thinking of Stajan... I just... I just can't help.... I can't help to think...

I wish I was overpaid 5-6x how much I'm worth.

Even if you divide 3.25 by 5, that's pretty much league minimum. Six puts you below league minimum.

Stajan was here for 8.5 seasons. He was at worst, for the majority of it, a third line C. Those generally don't get league minimum.

Was he overpaid? Yes. But if he was paid 2-2.5 million instead of 3.25 there'd be a lot less angst about it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Even if you divide 3.25 by 5, that's pretty much league minimum. Six puts you below league minimum.

Stajan was here for 8.5 seasons. He was at worst, for the majority of it, a third line C. Those generally don't get league minimum.

Was he overpaid? Yes. But if he was paid 2-2.5 million instead of 3.25 there'd be a lot less angst about it.

Clearly a joke.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Clearly how? Stajan's contract bashing has been a national pastime on CFHF. How am I supposed to know the difference?

Read it out.
The first part is suppose to read emotional, like you're about to say something sweet, then a complete sandbag.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My favourite Matt Stajan moment.

On a line with Bollig and Ferland, it was Stajan who had his gloves off first.

Edit: yes he was tuned up in that one pretty good, but it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of fight in the dog.

That's #3 on my list of Matt Stajan moments.

#2, is his series winning goal against the Canucks

#1..... it still brings on the waterworks because of what it meant to him

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My favourite Stajan moment was the post game interview where he ran out in the hallway in a towel. I wish him and Katie all the best, dude is all class. Unlike Monahan

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I definitely think we sign a goalie and let them rotate in and out with Parsons and McDonald while the Flames are in China

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
And how exactly do they pull that off? Prior to Sekera going down, they didn't even have enough space to sign Nurse. Does Ryan Nugent-Hopkins get traded for picks? There's no way Chiarelli is that stupid

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I actually had a look at the buyout structure if they did buy him out this summer - it's nearly as bad as the original contract because of all the signing bonuses. :laugh:

They're literally better off burying him in the minors to save $900k (or whatever) in some years.
I think it would be more likely that if this "report" is accurate that it would be Kris Russell bought out, along with a few other moves, such as Strome being moved and the Oilers not signing Reider or Brodziak.

Russell bought out - saves $2,363,333 immediately if replaced with Bear.
Strome being traded - saves $2,205,834 if replaced by Yamamoto.
Reider not being signed - saves about $1,200,000 if replaced by a cheap UFA
Brodziak not being signed - saves about $350,000 if replaced by a cheap UFA.

That's about 6.1 million saved, in the ballpark to sign Neal.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

If Kari Lehtonen is willing to take a PTO, that would be great. He got a little overworked late last season after Bishop was injured and the Stars in the playoff hunt, so he started a high number of games in a row (which caused his stats to drop off). But could be a solid veteran option if they don't go with 1 of the younger guys.

I'd give a PTO to Colborne too.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad