Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
Tkachuk will never be the captain. Doing so would force him to change his game because you can't be the one dealing with the officials and toeing the line between clean and dirty

He'll be a leader for sure though

Dustin Brown did pretty well as Captain of the LA Kings.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Tkachuk will never be the captain. Doing so would force him to change his game because you can't be the one dealing with the officials and toeing the line between clean and dirty

He'll be a leader for sure though

Hey rookie, ever heard of Risebrough, Peplinski, or Fleury?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ya cause toeing the line of clean and dirty while communicating with officials was invented in 2015. Good call!
The style of play has changed significantly over the years and the way the league reacts to what they determine to be dirty has changed with it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The style of play has changed significantly over the years and the way the league reacts to what they determine to be dirty has changed with it.

Threatening to carve someone's eyes out was likely still dirty in the 90's. Just saying.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm willing to bet much worse was said in the 80s

Pretty sure being a rat/dirtbag has been a continuous thing in the league since it's inception. I'm sure similar things are said today as in 30 years back. Except some scarlet letters as that's a big no-no.

As for Captaincy. I'm indifferent. I love the drive/give a f*** level Tkachuk has. If they deem that an important factor I wouldn't be opposed to it. I tend to dislike the quiet captain that has the emotional range of a sock. Monahan's kind of that tweener where he's not Captain Serious, and he's also not Jarome. He's just kind of a quiet dude. If they like the leader by example, he'd be a good candidate. They gave him an A already.

What I'm saying, is Backs for Captain 2022.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m fine with Tkachuk as a captain. He’s all about the team and would play however is going to be best for the team.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hanifin said he's hopeful to sign a contract of at least five years. Treliving wouldn't comment on the details of the negotiation.
Hanifin said he's tight with Lindholm, and he played in Carolina with Derek Ryan, who signed a three-year, $9.375 million contract with Calgary on July 1. Hanifin said he's also close with Flames forwards Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk.

More

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hoping for a long term deal. We’ve gone all in with this group, nows the time to take a risk.
We aren't "all-in." Say we win 0 games this year. All we're going to do next year is go back at it with a lottery prospect added to the same group. All-in is when you make your team worse the following year(s) in order to win in the current year. I don't think we've sacrificed a whole lot from next year and the years after.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
5 years would be a terrible term. Either extend him for longer (7 years preferably) or bridge him.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
5 years would be a terrible term. Either extend him for longer (7 years preferably) or bridge him.
If it's a good AAV I'm ok with 5. He'd be 26 when it's done. That would mean assuming he truly takes off, it's a good age to sign another long term deal at. If he's 28-29, almost the entirety of a new deal is in his 30s.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I won't be happy with any deal unless it's 3 years or less, unless it is an outrageously good AAV. I want no part of Hanifin becoming a UFA after this contract.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I get those concerns. But I'll worry about in 4-5 years if it happens. I'm sure he'll stay if we give him a reason to, example being don't suck. Also not worried about money because Gio will be done by then. And if he's good enough to be earning top pair money in the next deal, cool.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
SO LONG — NOT GOODBYE — FROM FORMER FLAMES HONCHO

I close on my home in Calgary at the end of this month, and head east. Before I go, I wanted to express my gratitude for my five seasons in Calgary. I enjoyed every second of my time here and made lots of friends. The city is friendly, clean and beautiful, and I feel privileged and blessed to have been able to live and work here.

Thanks to the wonderful owners of the Flames, all great gentlemen and philanthropists. I am grateful for the chance you gave me to work for you.

Thanks to Ken King for selecting me to head up Hockey Operations for the Flames.

Thanks, and good luck to Brad Treliving, Don Maloney and Bill Peters. The team is in good shape, and in great hands. The future of the Flames is bright.

Thanks to Brad Pascall, Connie and the doctors, trainers. Flames coaches, Stockton coaches, and all the scouts.

Thanks to the players, especially Gio. It has been an honour to be your teammate. Good luck to you all.

And lastly, thank you to the fans in Calgary and Southern Alberta. You are so knowledgeable, so loyal, so kind and so loud! You made the Saddledome a tough barn for visiting teams. You made my five seasons unforgettable. And when my family was in town, they were treated as kindly as I was — for all five seasons.

I will not be a stranger to Southern Alberta, as I am keeping my home east of Olds. So see you soon, rather than goodbye. And thank you all one last time. God bless you all!

BRIAN BURKE

(A class act through and through. Cheers.)

Letters to the Editor, Aug. 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad