Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wow, very classy by Burke! I like the man, such a good personality, but I credit him and the Flames for knowing it was time to part ways.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Good to hear! 15 years since the cup final and 30 since winning it all... hmmm...

With Neal having the itch, Hanifin wanting to up his game and be a long time Flame, Lindy signing a long-term extension, finally a healthy Monahan, Tkachuk wanting the team to be better and calling out previous members who didn't have the itch (*cough*Dougie*cough*), etc. I expect big things from the Flames this year. A lot of hungry players, if Peters can get them to mesh I see us having a deep playoff run. Please stay healthy Mike Smith's groin.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Like the Burke letter. All the best to him.

Neal will be fired and I think will be our 2 highest goal scorer this season.

For me our power play really will make the difference this year in a positive way. We can’t control injuries, but with a healthy top 15 power play, we will make ploffs.

Let’s get this shit going. I’m flying home for thanksgiving so I’ll be going to the home opener.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I have no idea how reputable that poster is but it would confirm a lot of what people suspected around here. Specifically Freddie Hamilton's forced inclusion and Brouwer's laissez faire attitude.

There's been a lot of smoke around F.Hamilton so I'd lean towards that being likely. Brouwer's comments on that slashing spree by Staal were all kinds of egregious so I wouldn't be surprised if it rubbed some of the players the wrong way.

I'm guessing the person who's close to the organization and heard everything in the exit interviews has a name that rhymes with Fonsoy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm guessing the person who's close to the organization and heard everything in the exit interviews has a name that rhymes with Fonsoy.
I'm not sure you understand rhyming there Calc. :laugh: I kid of course, it is an easy mistake to make.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
When Brouwer came out and had the "everyone does it [slashing] star players" speech rather than sticking up for Gaudreau I completely turned on him. Like I never liked him as a player to start with because he sucked, but your a trash 4th liner who can't even stick up for your own team, let alone your best player, get bent. Compounding that to when Jagr was brought in and he said something along the lines of "yeah we need goals so it's good we brought in a goal scorer" (the way he said it made him sound worse) when he's being paid $4.5 mil to score goals and is playing so poorly he is on the 4th line. Like you have been demoted to the 4th line because your so bad when you were brought in to score goals and be a top 6 RW on the team, and now you are essentially bitching about the team not getting enough goals.

I don't blame him for the PP time, that is on dumb ass Gulutzan and Cameron.

Hamilton just seems like he doesn't give a shit about winning/the team. I'm sure he is a nice guy and all, he was always joking around after games, but having a nonchalant attitude when it comes to winning is pretty bad and brings the team down.

I think these two (and Stajan only because of ability not because of locker room presence) subtractions + coaching re-haul will do the Flames wonders even ignoring all the additions we made.

Even if it is just speculation, it's been going on for 2 years + you can read between the lines in many of the situations.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't get the Freddie Hamilton thing. He played 4, 26 and 8 games for the Flames in prior years for the Avs he played 17 games, SJ 11 games and Phoenix 8 games so it wasn't like Calgary was giving him all these games that no other NHL team had given him before.

Who are all these better 4th liners that were going to have a big impact sitting in the PB or playing in Stockton for the vast majority of their time.

I am not saying that players didn't feel that way because people will create whatever BS narrative they want but whining about Freddie being given something that he didn't deserve sounds like sour grapes more than an actual legitimate gripe.

I am also no fan of Brouwer at all but the whining about his comments seem a little much as well. Brouwer fought plenty in his time with the Flames, it is the one positive he brought outside of when he understandably did not when his face was broken. He could have fought every single guy who slashed Gaudreau and it wouldn't have made a difference, plus wasn't it Staal that broke his finger? Staal wasn't going to fight anyways so all we get is a broken finger and a 7 minute PK to kill. And he was right guys face that all the time it wasn't like little John Boy was singled out, others are just able to play through it much better.

I am not sure how true those comments are but they speak more poorly about the guys doing the whining then they do about Brouwer or Hamilton.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That might shed some new light on Brouwer's struggles. His hand injury was very shortly after Gaudreau's injury. He went from producing as he should to falling off the map. I always felt it was potentially an injury that never healed, but maybe it was more the room turning on him and it impacting his on-ice play.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ah yes, when those comments came out it’s when I gave up any defence of Brouwers poor play prior to that. Not the attitude you want from your alternate captain, in my opinion.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, I remember being perturbed about those comments, too, because Gaudreau wasn't facing the league average number of slashes at all. Most players in the league aren't as skilled at avoiding physical contact as Johnny, so slashing was the only defence other teams were able to employ on him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's really quite comical just how often we get it wrong with the head coaches we hire

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

5f3.png

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In the future, there will be a smart TV app you can download that will convert all of Eric Francis' appearances on TV into smooth jazz.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Why can't rogers just work a bit harder and take anyone else but Francis to fill that role? I can't imagine there weren't several parties interested. Any one would have been better. Anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad