Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That is factually incorrect. You know you're losing the argument when you need to flagrantly make **** up.

Even me, a guy who thought Engelland was absolute hot garbage on the Flames, can admit that he stepped up nicely when Gio went down, and was one of the reasons we made the playoffs that year.

Was he playing at a much higher level than he's capable at that time? Yeah, I think so. Was he amazing? No. But he got the job done and didn't hurt the team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Engelland honoured to wear an 'A'

Engelland, in the final season of a three-year contract signed on July 1, 2014, has brought much more than a one-goal, six-assist stat line would suggest.

The 34-year-old leads all Calgary defencemen with 71 hits, and is second on the team with 62 blocked shots. Engelland is also second only to Giordano in shorthanded ice time, averaging 3:25 of penalty kill time per game.

His plus-eight rating? Tied with Giordano and Matthew Tkachuk for the team lead.

Naturally, he also leads the Flames with six fighting majors.

As such, the letter comes naturally to Engelland.

"We don't make those decisions … the players do," Calgary coach Glen Gulutzan outlined.

If Engelland was as bad as some are saying, why was he top in so many categories on the team? IMO, Engelland is very underrated. I would argue he is at least as good as Russell as a 4/5 Dman, but on a fraction of the contract. He is not a 7th Dman. 7th dmen don't do things like rank 2nd on the team for blocked shots, tie team lead for +/- while ranking 2nd on the team for PK ice time.

His style has synergies with those around him far more than Brodie's style does. There is no need to trash one guy to prop up the other. Eggs was a good Dman for us. Period. He was nothing amazing, but steadier and far more reliable than one would expect of a guy his age and skill.

He's like a no frills older gas guzzling rusty pick up truck that never fails gets you from point A to B while Brodie is like watching a rotary engine vehicle that was badass until it needed an engine rebuild.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If Engelland was as bad as some are saying, why was he top in so many categories on the team? IMO, Engelland is very underrated. I would argue he is at least as good as Russell as a 4/5 Dman, but on a fraction of the contract. He is not a 7th Dman. 7th dmen don't do things like rank 2nd on the team for blocked shots, tie team lead for +/- while ranking 2nd on the team for PK ice time.

His style has synergies with those around him far more than Brodie's style does. There is no need to trash one guy to prop up the other. Eggs was a good Dman for us. Period. He was nothing amazing, but steadier and far more reliable than one would expect of a guy his age and skill.

He's like a no frills older gas guzzling rusty pick up truck that never fails gets you from point A to B while Brodie is like watching a rotary engine vehicle that was badass until it needed an engine rebuild.

Deryk Engelland was a bad hockey player in Calgary. To me it's not even a question. He spent the entire night in his own zone (his shot differential is among the worst players from his time in Calgary), he and Russ spend time blocking shots because they never have the puck. In Calgary, the guy was the level of run-of-the-mill bottom pairing guy. He brought toughness which was nice, and he seemed like an A+ character guy... but he was bad here. His +/- had more to do with PDO more so than anything else; i.e his luck stat.

In terms of his play, the only thing reliable, was that you could bet his pairing would be hemmed in most of the night and you'd bleed HDCA with him on the ice (He averaged just under 3 HDCA a game). For those that need something to compare to, Giordano average a tonne more minutes and gave you around 2 a game, Brodie who we clearly pegged as a liability had almost identical stats to Engelland, while playing more minutes.

I do agree that Engelland was like an old gas guzzling rusty pickup. However, it was one that continuously breaks down and that the farmer was too stubborn to move on from; he'd would rather keep patching it back up and sending it out again. The only thing reliable about Deryk's time in Calgary, was that he was reliable to be a liability on the ice throughout most of his tenure.

Like I said though. The guy seems like an A+ character; and I'm happy for his success in Vegas.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Anyone see these concept jerseys? Sweet sassy molassy those are nice!
d407e09QeM23zh5bI-6jYs3ZC_jLM2x3aw__nC9ZeJI.jpg
I believe those jerseys were a concept that someone over at CP came up with (they have a new jersey concept thread). Some of the designs posted there are quite nice. I agree with your opinion about these ones though. IMO these are the best I've seen. Hopefully Ken King and company take note and hire this guy. I already have a jersey but I would be more than willing to fork out some cash to buy this one and retire my old one.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I like/liked Engelland. No room any more for him on this team but I was happy with his play while he was here. LVK made a good choice when they picked him off our roster and they did us a solid by not picking someone else off our roster and then waiting till he became a free agent and getting him for free (everyone knew for sure that he was going to sign for his hometown team)… NHL teams usually aren't that generous. I wonder if Engelland had something to do with that?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Deryk Engelland was a bad hockey player in Calgary. To me it's not even a question. He spent the entire night in his own zone (his shot differential is among the worst players from his time in Calgary), he and Russ spend time blocking shots because they never have the puck. In Calgary, the guy was the level of run-of-the-mill bottom pairing guy. He brought toughness which was nice, and he seemed like an A+ character guy... but he was bad here. His +/- had more to do with PDO more so than anything else; i.e his luck stat.

In terms of his play, the only thing reliable, was that you could bet his pairing would be hemmed in most of the night and you'd bleed HDCA with him on the ice (He averaged just under 3 HDCA a game). For those that need something to compare to, Giordano average a tonne more minutes and gave you around 2 a game, Brodie who we clearly pegged as a liability had almost identical stats to Engelland, while playing more minutes.

I do agree that Engelland was like an old gas guzzling rusty pickup. However, it was one that continuously breaks down and that the farmer was too stubborn to move on from; he'd would rather keep patching it back up and sending it out again. The only thing reliable about Deryk's time in Calgary, was that he was reliable to be a liability on the ice throughout most of his tenure.

Like I said though. The guy seems like an A+ character; and I'm happy for his success in Vegas.

Eh, I don't really agree... More like it was a 2/3 seater and it wasn't reliable enough to carry the weight requested. Add in the fact others are blasting past it on the highway regularly, you wonder why the hell the guzzler was deployed on a regular basis over acquiring a better option. But seriously speaking, we're arguing a rusty truck metaphor, lol.

I still think he's highly underrated IMO and most of his stats are like 4/5 out of 10 so overall below average. But he seriously doesn't have major warts. His hem in zone thing is more due to a stay at home thing and possibly deployment due to the fact he'd be consistently paired with another stay at home guy in Russell or Smid who also has the same major warts being more predominately stay at home guys with meh puck movement. But he did better with better PMD. IMO another high profile guy that needs a similar support system is Weber. Obviously Eggs is no Weber, I'm merely saying some guys really need to have a partner who can help cover deficiencies. Eggs is one of those guys. Brodie is the same on the opposite vein as a riverboat gambler jazz musician. I really don't think I need to be dying on a hill defending Engelland, though I will put my heartfelt opinion out there to defend him before I withdraw.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that he's an A+ dude who managed his letter in Vegas honorably like Ference did in Edmonton, even if he was ultimately run out of town in the end. Ference sucked in the end due to injuries, but he was a good pro about it even if he was really criticized in the end and unceremoniously stripped of the letter, then not allowed to quietly ride out his contract on the LTIR. I am super happy for Engelland and I have no doubt Vegas will give him a proper send off for being a great leader in the inaugural season for VGK. I have no doubt he will be a huge pillar of support and promotion for VGK even after retiring and I find it awesome he still have many friends on our current roster. I think he's up there with McGrattan for being an awesome buddy to have around beyond a teammate in the locker room.

It's possible that Eggs is higher in my head due to the fact he was easily out swimming dudes like Potter, Nakladal, Diaz, Schlemko, Wotherspoon, Kulak etc. in a Hartley and Gully system that was drowning players. This was further exacerbated when Brodie, Wideman and Russell struggled. I feel at times he was unfairly scapegoated. Maybe he was over deployed as one of the few RHS RD options, but I really do think he is not given the respect he deserves at times perhaps due to him being a late bloomer for being a bottom pairing dman and the fact he was overpaid plus in his mid 30s when he showed up. Perhaps for me this is similar to MM defending Brouwer (Not used to his new name yet), but I do feel like I don't fully stand alone in appreciating Engelland for what he brought.

Reactions: Rubicon 4x4

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like/liked Engelland. No room any more for him on this team but I was happy with his play while he was here. LVK made a good choice when they picked him off our roster and they did us a solid by not picking someone else off our roster and then waiting till he became a free agent and getting him for free (everyone knew for sure that he was going to sign for his hometown team)… NHL teams usually aren't that generous. I wonder if Engelland had something to do with that?

Eggs mentioned that he wouldn't have minded re-signing with us. It's possible that he could have continued to be a Flame if Vegas had not snapped him up in the pre-FA situation that Vegas was granted. I seem to recall reading an interview of his where he stated he would love to play for Vegas, but it wasn't guaranteed.

Vegas probably valued him well as a leader, team glue and character guy as well as him being a local + playing for the Wranglers which meant he'd be a great sherpa in navigating the business journey of putting deep NHL roots into Vegas plus a great guy to help his teammates settle down in Vegas. I would not be surprised if Engelland spent a lot of time being the defacto resource for many things living in Vegas when joined. That helps greatly for a young organization and uprooted roster.

If I had to guess, the only two reasonable pieces that VGK was looking at was Brouwer and Engelland. Everyone else exposed was a dime a dozen option.

TL;DR - Engelland has serious intangibles that Vegas liked and it wasn't a guarantee Vegas could get him. I would not have been surprised if Calgary would have offered between 1x1 to 1x1.5 to Engelland.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
@Fig you will learn that a players performance doesn't matter to certain posters. If they hate the contract when it is signed, that player will be a piece of shit the rest of their tenure. If they player is older than 30, double that disdain. Engelland could have won the Norris trophy and a certain faction of posters would still be claiming he was garbage

Reactions: Kahvi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
@Fig you will learn that a players performance doesn't matter to certain posters. If they hate the contract when it is signed, that player will be a piece of **** the rest of their tenure. If they player is older than 30, double that disdain. Engelland could have won the Norris trophy and a certain faction of posters would still be claiming he was garbage
Some people will never change their mind about a player's value. Once their mind is made up... that it. I call it the Donald Trump syndrome. Facts and the truth don't matter.... never back down and double down if you have to.

Monahan and a certain poster here, immediately come to mind.
Just kidding. :thumbu: Everybody has a right to their own opinion.... even if its wrong. ;)

Reactions: Lazar Beams

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
@Fig you will learn that a players performance doesn't matter to certain posters. If they hate the contract when it is signed, that player will be a piece of **** the rest of their tenure. If they player is older than 30, double that disdain. Engelland could have won the Norris trophy and a certain faction of posters would still be claiming he was garbage

Well sure. I'm just tossing my opinion on the other side of the scale. I'm not going to die on a hill if I have an opposing view, but I'm not going to let people think they're uncontested in their opinion if I have an opposing one or if I think the opinion they hold is ridiculously unfair or blatantly full of illogical leaps.

Worst case scenario, if I must die on a hill... if you think you've seen a wall of text, I'm sure I can muster up a wall of text that would impress even Donald Trump.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well sure. I'm just tossing my opinion on the other side of the scale. I'm not going to die on a hill if I have an opposing view, but I'm not going to let people think they're uncontested in their opinion if I have an opposing one or if I think the opinion they hold is ridiculously unfair or blatantly full of illogical leaps.

Worst case scenario, if I must die on a hill... if you think you've seen a wall of text, I'm sure I can muster up a wall of text that would impress even Donald Trump.
I don't think there's too much in this world that impresses Donald Trump. Other than Donald Trump. Look up "narcissism" in the dictionary. You'll see a picture of the Donald. His picture's under "pathological liar" too. Good thing the Donald isn't a member of this forum. ;)

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I won't be shocked at all if Engelland ends up in a management role in Vegas once he retires. Even if it's something as simple as being some kind of management/player in between, or helps players get settled in the area. I'm sure that the organization will find some kind of role for him .

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah I won't be shocked at all if Engelland ends up in a management role in Vegas once he retires. Even if it's something as simple as being some kind of management/player in between, or helps players get settled in the area. I'm sure that the organization will find some kind of role for him .

I could see him in a player development role or community liaison role.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think there's too much in this world that impresses Donald Trump. Other than Donald Trump. Look up "narcissism" in the dictionary. You'll see a picture of the Donald. His picture's under "pathological liar" too. Good thing the Donald isn't a member of this forum. ;)

Aren't those sections of the dictionary often just mirrors?

Reactions: Rubicon 4x4

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Anyone see any news on the numbers for the new guys?

Last year's numbers:
Ryan - 7
Czarnik - 27
Hanafin - 5
Lindholm - 28

Hanafin and Ryan will have to change their numbers but the other 2 are free.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Anyone see any news on the numbers for the new guys?

Last year's numbers:
Ryan - 7
Czarnik - 27
Hanafin - 5
Lindholm - 28

Hanafin and Ryan will have to change their numbers but the other 2 are free.
Derek Ryan previously wore #33 with Carolina, I assume he goes back to that.
Noah Hanifin previously wore #55 with team USA, he may go to that.

Reactions: FlamerForLife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad