Around the Dome 4 - Even More Flames News and Notes

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Holy cow, about time! I hear him all the time on NHL radio and they never challenge his BS or ask whether he is speculating or reporting. Nice to hear him taken to task here.

The worst part is I kinda agree with him, I don't think Gaudreau will re-sign if we aren't a contender but he just talks like he has sources and isn't just sitting in his basement speculating like the rest of us.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
eric-francis.jpg

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ah Eric Francis, master of the hate-click revenue.

I'd call him a tool, but a tool can be useful.

Francis is the type of tool you replace vs risk maiming yourself with though. Let him be someone else's problem before you lose an eye or finger or something.

So... I'd argue the useful part.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
#Flames coach Darryl Sutter with a nice compliment today for centre Sean Monahan: “His work ethic has been right at the top of our team, which is really important and which I think is lacking in the group.”

How can this be true? He’s been labeled a lazy bum who should be stripped of his letter by posters for years. Sutter is clearly a liar

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
#Flames coach Darryl Sutter with a nice compliment today for centre Sean Monahan: “His work ethic has been right at the top of our team, which is really important and which I think is lacking in the group.”

How can this be true? He’s been labeled a lazy bum who should be stripped of his letter by posters for years. Sutter is clearly a liar

Pretty much plays into my point I brought up a few days ago about effort being subjective from a fan standpoint.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Pretty much plays into my point I brought up a few days ago about effort being subjective from a fan standpoint.
Right there with you. “Effort” and “leadership” are two of the most criticized things by fans and like 90% of both those things are based on things a fan would never see behind closed doors. Effort, leadership, and to a lesser extent “hockey IQ” are just buzzwords. It’s often lazy analysis by fans who don’t have a deep enough understanding of the game to offer any sort of insightful analysis.

Guy hasn’t scored in 13 games? Oh he must just be a lazy bum with no work ethic or desire to win.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Fans love assigning work ethic to fast players, with massive bonus points if they have a choppy stride so you can really see their legs moving. Everyone loves that third liner who is constantly chasing players on the forecheck and back check until he’s out of position, because he occasionally will strip a puck and everyone will say “he has such a high motor”.

We don’t get to see how a player is pushing himself in the gym, in practices, or even just things like watching the film. Also other than some extremely blatant plays, most fans really have know way of knowing how much effort a player is putting in during games.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Apparently projects as a Garnet Hathaway type. I really liked Garnet Hathaway.
I still like Garnet Hathaway. Sure, 4 years seemed long, but it's only a little above league min. And honestly, if he were hear, I feel like we'd have a bit more push to our game (also, he has like 14 points this season so far, which is more than Sam Bennett, and still middle of the pack on this team. As a fourth liner).

Reactions: Fig and Ace Rimmer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad