Around Hockey XXIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My thing was I saw a disengaged player in Columbus that seemed to have trouble getting back to the mode he had vs Toronto. Maybe that was just the long term impact of covid. Maybe it was something else.

If I judge by Carter, his play picked up immediately upon leaving when he wanted out.

I just see a kid struggling with his game. I imagine he'll find it but I still wonder why he lost it.

Clearly PLD has some sort of motivation or personality issues that hold him back. The whole charade with how he handled his exit here was awful, but don’t forget he also did the whole pouty thing in juniors to get off Cape Breton. And shockingly once he was traded his numbers and game picked up drastically for a team making a run.

I don’t know if it’s just because he’s young or what. But he’s butted heads with two organizations now and actively played off both. He’s hardly the only guilty party in Columbus and I’m not too knowledgeable about what happened in the QMJHL, but it speaks for itself.

He seems like a good guy. He’s a great player. But from what I’ve read he’s extremely headstrong.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Clearly PLD has some sort of motivation or personality issues that hold him back. The whole charade with how he handled his exit here was awful, but don’t forget he also did the whole pouty thing in juniors to get off Cape Breton. And shockingly once he was traded his numbers and game picked up drastically for a team making a run.

I don’t know if it’s just because he’s young or what. But he’s butted heads with two organizations now and actively played off both. He’s hardly the only guilty party in Columbus and I’m not too knowledgeable about what happened in the QMJHL, but it speaks for itself.

He seems like a good guy. He’s a great player. But from what I’ve read he’s extremely headstrong.
...I had actually forgotten about Cape Breton.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And shockingly once he was traded his numbers and game picked up drastically for a team making a run.

And obviously that is not how things went for him last year. He might have something serious going on that bothered him all year. I don't think it's a physical problem!

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Don't want to guess here too much but I think his issue(s) is not so much related to

1) not living in a city for his liking
2) not playing for his favorite team/organization
3) his play not being appreciated enough by his teammates and coaches
4) playing in a too big or small market

but rather

5) being opinionated on more fundamental things and not being surrounded by people that he thinks are sharing his views: outlook on life, political views, etc.
6) dealing with personal challenges of his life unrelated to hockey that are more indirectly affecting his motivation and relationships in hockey community.

Whatever it is, I wish him the best. Like @CBJWerenski8 said, he seems like a good guy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Don't want to guess here too much but I think his issue(s) is not so much related to

1) not living in a city for his liking
2) not playing for his favorite team/organization
3) his play not being appreciated enough by his teammates and coaches
4) playing in a too big or small market

but rather

5) being opinionated on more fundamental things and not being surrounded by people that he thinks are sharing his views: outlook on life, political views, etc.
6) dealing with personal challenges of his life unrelated to hockey that are more indirectly affecting his motivation and relationships in hockey community.

Whatever it is, I wish him the best. Like @CBJWerenski8 said, he seems like a good guy.

It's not 1-4 and it's not 5 either. He has the most mundane Canadian politics possible, this is not a deeply political person.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
It's not 1-4 and it's not 5 either. He has the most mundane Canadian politics possible, this is not a deeply political person.
To be more elaborate about point 5, I was also pondering things like personal interests and lifestyle differences between players. Here's one article from January, 2020:

Different languages bring Blue Jackets players together

Dubois grew up in an interesting world. His father, Eric, hails from Quebec, but met Dubois' mother, Jill, when he was living in Atlanta playing professional hockey. Pierre-Luc mostly grew up in the suburbs of Montreal but spoke both English and French growing up, so he's fluent in each.

But that's not all. Though he's since forgotten much of the language, Dubois also learned German when he was a kid because his father spent parts of three seasons playing in that country's top league.

Perhaps given his youth as a globetrotter, Dubois has a fascination with learning the languages others are speaking.
"I want to learn another language," he said. "I've been telling guys for the two years I've been here, guys like Korpi, Bjorky, guys like that, we should take a class together, like two to six guys together. If we're doing it together, we can help each other out and motivate each other, but nobody is on board with me. If I do it alone, you know how it is -- if you don't talk it, what's the point?

"We can learn Spanish, German, Russian, Swedish. Finnish is too hard. Danish is too hard. Russian, Spanish or German are the three that we talked about, but I just have to get the guys on board."
That is just one example and it isn't a "fundamental thing" per se, but differences like this can leave a person with a feeling of being an outsider in his team. He's only 23 and has interests outside of hockey, and some ways is still possibly trying to figure out his identity, what he wants from life etc., which is of course understandable especially for young adults. And he has that chance to take time to think about his options when you're young, seemingly in good condition physically and have millions in your bank account.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I think it was more the fact that he couldn't beat Bjorky in video games. :sarcasm: Loved PLD's play for the CBJ prior to last year. Don't have a clue what got into his head, but something did. I would suspect that he suffered from Tortsitis, but that has been denied and he has already had his tonsils & wisdom teeth removed. Regardless I still find myself pissed at the lad:mad:

Thank goodness ZW & Boone both signed multi year deals.. we are beginning that organizational makeover equivalent to a mid life crisis.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I didn’t read the same story you guys did I guess. I don’t see anything in there that makes me wonder what’s going on in his head or that CBJ dodged a bullet.

I saw disappointing numbers/stats/data. Given what we saw with our team last year he’s have probably had the same struggles.

I guess I just read your comments wrong. I was expecting some comments or a status report that called his approach or mental state or whatever into question.

My "dodged a bullet" is based on how awful he was during the series vs. Montreal in the playoffs this past season and his regular season stats-not the article.

I assumed that he and the CBJ would be a long term contract. Given how he played last season, it's a bullet dodge in my book.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I have spent a little bit of time the past few evenings reading other teams draft day threads: Good props to Jarmo for the return on Jones & quite a few props for the the CBJ draft in general. Interesting enough our 7th round pick LW Martin Rysavy was mentioned many times by the Habs as early as the 4th rd, as was Ben Boyd our 6th rounder. Vancouver was similar - both markets live and breath hockey - reaction to the OEL / Garland trade as it broke was comedic. Those folks know their hockey.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I have spent a little bit of time the past few evenings reading other teams draft day threads: Good props to Jarmo for the return on Jones & quite a few props for the the CBJ draft in general. Interesting enough our 7th round pick LW Martin Rysavy was mentioned many times by the Habs as early as the 4th rd, as was Ben Boyd our 6th rounder. Vancouver was similar - both markets live and breath hockey - reaction to the OEL / Garland trade as it broke was comedic. Those folks know their hockey.
Thats Canada for you. You can pretty much go anywhere and talk hockey with complete strangers :laugh:
Rysavy is another interesting one to me as he commited to play in the WHL and will play less than an hour away. Maybe get to see some Rysavy vs Svozil battles. Rysavy should atleast dominate physically, lets hope the skill is there with it

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I went looking for some of those discussions. I had to figure out why people wanted to draft Ben Boyd.

These scouting reports were being passed around. Sounds promising.

2021 Draft Profile: LW Ben Boyd

NHL Draft sleepers: Five potential steals in 2021 include Ryan Mast, Ben Boyd

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
For those of you who were still holding out hope that Eichel would get traded here, I think those hopes just went

Probably for the best. The cost would set the rebuild back substantially. Adding Eichel now would not in and of itself make this a playoff team. After the trades, the signings and the draft it is pretty clear that Mgmt is moving in the direction required for Columbus. CBJ are down for a few years, but will be back with a vengeance.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Montreal doesn't match the offer sheet.

Trades for Dvorak

Arizona now has 3 1st's and 5 seconds in next year's supposedly loaded draft...now that's how you rebuild! (tank?)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Montreal doesn't match the offer sheet.

Trades for Dvorak

Arizona now has 3 1st's and 5 seconds in next year's supposedly loaded draft...now that's how you rebuild! (tank?)

All dressed up but nowhere to go given the Arena situation there.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
All dressed up but nowhere to go given the Arena situation there.

Submitted a plan to build in Tempe. Houston has expressed interest. There is always Hamilton or Quebec City but if they have to move I hope it is west of the Mississippi. Don't want Jackets in the west.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Alright Espen, you watch all 82 Arizona games this year and then tell me how you feel.

Average drafting might only see them replace the players they traded away. (Dvorak is like an average outcome for a mid 1st).

Below average drafting might not see them ever emerge from this rebuild. Chychrun and anyone of talent will refuse to extend there. Or maybe they draft well and get Shane Wright and he asks for a trade after three years because the team is still dead last.

I don't think they've gotten good value on many of their trades. For instance Islanders fans were shocked that they could unload Ladd for less than a 1st. I don't think this is how you rebuild.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do you get sarcasm/humor/tongue in cheek? :dunno:

And as point of fact, if I watch all 82 games I still won't know how those draft picks will turn out seeing that they wouldn't have been made yet.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Do you get sarcasm/humor/tongue in cheek? :dunno:

And as point of fact, if I watch all 82 games I still won't know how those draft picks will turn out seeing that they wouldn't have been made yet.

You called them long term winners in the other thread, so I somehow developed the idea that you are actually commending their course of action. I guess you were being sarcastic there too, no way for me to know.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Former Blue Jacket Dubois sells Downtown condo after being traded

Dubois sold his three-story townhouse in the Neighborhood Launch development for $1.05 million, a year after buying it for $1.026 million. Dubois listed the condominium for $1.1 million in March, two months after he was traded.

The 2,792-square-foot condominium, which Dubois purchased new, includes three bedrooms, two-and-a-half baths, a two-story great room with wet bar, a rooftop patio served by another wet bar and a two-car garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad