Around Hockey XXIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Athletic is reporting that ESPN has hired Torts as a studio analyst.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I can think of some newish Blue Jackets that would get booted off that team.

I'd be with Laine on this one. I'd also put up a big picture of Jonathan Toews in my locker.

I don't know whether extreme dietary measures are all that effective nor do I know if the incremental value of a lot of the diet can be proved to enhance performance, but I can assure that most NHLers don't have the psychological make up to follow that type of regimen. There are very few Tom Bradys among even the elite athletic performers in any league. MacKinnon will fail with this approach to his teammates-if that is what he is really doing.

I'm going to have some ice cream with my breakfast now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd be with Laine on this one. I'd also put up a big picture of Jonathan Toews in my locker.

I don't know whether extreme dietary measures are all that effective nor do I know if the incremental value of a lot of the diet can be proved to enhance performance, but I can assure that most NHLers don't have the psychological make up to follow that type of regimen. There are very few Tom Bradys among even the elite athletic performers in any league. MacKinnon will fail with this approach to his teammates-if that is what he is really doing.

Yeah I don't seriously expect everyone to follow to such extremes. I'd settle for "don't play video games until the sun comes up".

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Yeah, I read that, and I'm uncomfortably reminded of some bits in the last hockey-related book I read.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I get a kick out of people not just here jumping on MacK for being the way he is and its just good practice for your health let alone being a pro athlete making millions. Having 100k to pay for a chef? Its not that hard really. I admire his commitment vs acting like hes taking it too far

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I get a kick out of people not just here jumping on MacK for being the way he is and its just good practice for your health let alone being a pro athlete making millions. Having 100k to pay for a chef? Its not that hard really. I admire his commitment vs acting like hes taking it too far

I'm more startled by the on-ice anger at his teammates (which occasionally comes out during games). But the food stuff is fine. No one regrets eating healthy.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I agree. It's not like he changing all their meals, he's just changing their pre-game meal.
I know like OSU football has a team of nutritionists that work with the players, they do everything from planning meals to teaching the guys how to cook, grocery shop and portion sizes.
With the age of our roster stuff like that is helpful.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Contract: $5.4M x one year, $9.5M x eight years
Surplus Value: -$57.2M
Positive Value Probability: 16.4 percent

Hot off the presses is Jones’s mega-extension, agreed to on draft day right after being dealt to Chicago and signed on the opening day of free agency. The defense market went ballistic on July 28 and it’s difficult not to see this eye-popping deal as part of the catalyst for some of the downright silly numbers that popped up. Defensemen got paid.
This is going to be a very hard deal for Jones to live up to, one where he’s paid for his outsized reputation for eight years, starting with the 2022-23 season. That’s before he’s even played one game as a Blackhawk, an incredible risk to take for Chicago after the year Jones just had. It is very possible Jones is much better in a faster Blackhawks system, free to play a more offensive game and see his value return to form. While that’s possible, it’s difficult to see Jones being any more expensive within the next year even if that happens because he’s not being paid for what he is, but what he was prior to last season. And then some.
A $9.5 million deal carries an expected value of about 2.2 wins, the benchmark for an elite defenseman. Not top pair, not number one, but elite. It’s a benchmark Jones hasn’t hit since the 2017-18 season according to GSVA. In the two seasons afterward, he was close enough that it was fair to argue he qualified given the likelihood he was underrated by the numbers. Last year? He wasn’t even close, struggling to control play and establishing a rather concerning trend line: Three straight seasons with a consistently negative relative expected goals rate. That means the Blue Jackets have earned a better chance differential over each of the last three seasons with Jones on the bench. Given how poor the team was last year, that’s a concerning sign.
That’s not a defender worthy of $9.5 million for eight seasons, but it seems Jones’s reputation as an elite defenseman was somehow completely unchanged despite a completely unremarkable season. A bounce-back is likely, but with that being his most recent, it’s difficult to see him suddenly jumping up to an elite level – and maintain it for eight seasons. Maybe he does it next year, but the contract doesn’t kick in until the year after covering the ages 28-to-35.
The chances he remains elite now are already slim and they get even slimmer as Jones gets older. It’s very unlikely he’ll be elite in his 30s and with the full freight of the deal to look forward to, Jones carries the most negative surplus value in the league as every year adds up. He has a better chance to live up to it than a lot of players on this list, especially if there’s a belief the numbers don’t accurately portray his value. But his contract is very long and has a very high bar. Good luck living up to that.

From Dom on the athletic. Doughty, Karlsson, and Skinner ranked ahead of Jones at 4.

They sharks had 3 of the top 10 with Karlsson, Vlasic, and Couture (burns is just good enough I guess)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

If you're planning on going to any games anywhere this year, this is something to keep an eye on (if you're not yet vaccinated, I suppose).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

It's ironic that the CBJ might have really dodged a major bullet with this guy. A long term commitment seems like a real iffy proposition right now. While the same is true about Laine, he's an acquired player and was never in the team's long term plans prior to the trade. It seemed like a forgone conclusion that PLD was 8 year contract bound with the CBJ.

Torts may have done this franchise a huge favor by bring the PLD situation to a head when he did. As only Torts can do:laugh:

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I didn’t read the same story you guys did I guess. I don’t see anything in there that makes me wonder what’s going on in his head or that CBJ dodged a bullet.

I saw disappointing numbers/stats/data. Given what we saw with our team last year he’s have probably had the same struggles.

I guess I just read your comments wrong. I was expecting some comments or a status report that called his approach or mental state or whatever into question.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I didn’t read the same story you guys did I guess. I don’t see anything in there that makes me wonder what’s going on in his head or that CBJ dodged a bullet.

I saw disappointing numbers/stats/data. Given what we saw with our team last year he’s have probably had the same struggles.

I guess I just read your comments wrong. I was expecting some comments or a status report that called his approach or mental state or whatever into question.

My thing was I saw a disengaged player in Columbus that seemed to have trouble getting back to the mode he had vs Toronto. Maybe that was just the long term impact of covid. Maybe it was something else.

If I judge by Carter, his play picked up immediately upon leaving when he wanted out.

I just see a kid struggling with his game. I imagine he'll find it but I still wonder why he lost it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad