Around Hockey XXIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
The Suter buyout makes no sense. I can't figure it out. There's almost no cap or salary savings after 2021-22, it's like they just decided to take a top pair defenseman, which he still is, and pay him to not play anymore. He'll cost far more to replace.

There are only two possible explanations: (1) the Wild are trying to tank or (2) their GM is using his hammer :sarcasm:

Reactions: Monk

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I doubt it. Keith actually wanted to go to Edmonton, which is still a bit of a rarity. Suter is an American and had a full NMC, so that usually means he has close to zero percent chance of ending up in the frozen wasteland of the North.

Well, good news, they can try to sign him as a free agent now without giving up anything in return lol

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I doubt it. Keith actually wanted to go to Edmonton, which is still a bit of a rarity. Suter is an American and had a full NMC, so that usually means he has close to zero percent chance of ending up in the frozen wasteland of the North.

As compared to the tropical paradise of Minneapolis.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Between a rock and a hard place Guerin made a ballsy choice. From what I read it seems Parise was pretty much done as a player but Suter could still eat some minutes. the flat cap just became a hell of a lot flatter for the Wild.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I guess that's a viable explanation? It's not about the cap, and Suter was still really good. So they just wanted to get Suter out of room?

Between a rock and a hard place Guerin made a ballsy choice. From what I read it seems Parise was pretty much done as a player but Suter could still eat some minutes. the flat cap just became a hell of a lot flatter for the Wild.

They save almost zero cap space though starting next year. It's a one year cap benefit and then they're paying them both $6m per next year. This isn't a cap issue. Suter will cost just as much to replace.

Reactions: LJ7201

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm happy for Duc. It's not a huge contract by NHL standards but it's a good home for him. And Zito will make sure he is in a good position to succeed.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
@Viqsi what is Nashville doing (eg Ellis trade)?
Wonderful things.

Ellis's play had fallen off a cliff playing alongside Josi, so something had to be done. There's also a shortage of quality young players over there - their prospect pool situation scares me more than ours. I believe trading Ellis may also help a tad with expansion draft issues, altho I'm not yet 100% clear on that (I'm juggling drama all over the place right now :scared: ). It also saves a decent amount of cap.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Wonderful things.

Ellis's play had fallen off a cliff playing alongside Josi, so something had to be done. There's also a shortage of quality young players over there - their prospect pool situation scares me more than ours. I believe trading Ellis may also help a tad with expansion draft issues, altho I'm not yet 100% clear on that (I'm juggling drama all over the place right now :scared: ). It also saves a decent amount of cap.
The Preds still have Tomasino which is a very good piece.

This Tanner Jeannot kid though, wonder what he could be if he keeps progressing?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
The signings of Heiskanen & projections for Makar only increase the value of Seth Jones at 5.4M for a year. Hell Seth may come to his senses and take the Jackets offer - we would give him top dollar

Hockey is such a demanding sport in training, season etc.. what do you want 1.5M more in salary or a mountain out your window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad