Around Hockey XXIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Who will be a Russian team coach in Olympic games?
I want a cobmination Roman Rotenberg - John Tortorella. Rotenberg is narcissistic personality, Torts is Torts... . Russia can start to sell tickets on this comedy. :yo:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Aaaaaand Carolina appears to have gone completely batshit insane.

The GM said they think they're in a better position now to win with a veteran goalie, and several reporters said Bernier is not that veteran.

But it's also reported they offered Nedeljkovic $1.5m AAV. So if that's true, that's quite a bit of spin for "we didn't want to pay our .930 guy $3m/year."

Sounds like there's quite a bit of a hard cap in Carolina between this and the Brind'Amour stuff. Of course, no one can say that publicly, so the GM is saying things like, "aCtuAlLy, it's better for us to pay some UFA veteran goalies than our 25-year old we already have on the roster."

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds like there's quite a bit of a hard cap in Carolina between this and the Brind'Amour stuff. Of course, no one can say that publicly, so the GM is saying things like, "aCtuAlLy, it's better for us to pay some UFA veteran goalies than our 25-year old we already have on the roster."

I don't think they're going to be paying Bernier much less than they'd pay Ned, if anything at all.

It doesn't look like a hard cap situation. It looks like they have a meddlesome owner that is trying to import his philosophy and re-set the market. If they keep this up they're going to have an exodus in a few years and they'll have a much clearer answer for it than the Jackets do for their present exodus.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Help me out: Florida just got Reinhart from Buffalo for a 2022 1st and a goalie - couldn't we have offered 2022 1st and the 2nd that we just gave up for Bean and one of our goalies? I know he is RFA, but plug in a #1 centre and give these guys a friggin chance -

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Help me out: Florida just got Reinhart from Buffalo for a 2022 1st and a goalie - couldn't we have offered 2022 1st and the 2nd that we just gave up for Bean and one of our goalies? I know he is RFA, but plug in a #1 centre and give these guys a friggin chance -

I’d rather keep our picks and Bean. Reinhart isn’t even a natural center and we already have guys like that in Domi and Roslovic.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Interesting, I thought he was one of the few bright spots for the Sabres & he can play your top line center role. I'm betting after watching him on Florida's Huberdeau line you will think differently. bet you a Chipotle bowl.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Yeah we could have, and yes you can conclude that the Jackets didn't want Reinhart at that cost. They're not interested in paying futures for older players. I do hope they make a run at Danault. He won't cost any futures and completes our forwards perfectly. Reinhart track record is mostly as a shoot-first winger and he's going to demand a bigger contract.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Interesting, I thought he was one of the few bright spots for the Sabres & he can play your top line center role. I'm betting after watching him on Florida's Huberdeau line you will think differently. bet you a Chipotle bowl.

He’s going to have a great year there, that doesn’t necessarily mean he would have here too. Florida is stacked

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Major, I think Danault is going to be a pretty hot commodity.. he shut down just about everyone through the playoffs. Danault is money & he is going to want a lot of it. Top Center & top RHD.. we already know how hard it is to get them. We walk out of the draft with top prospects so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
More former prospect things...Ottawa wastes a QO on a prospect who has no desire to play there....I get holding onto rights, but odd

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
More former prospect things...Ottawa wastes a QO on a prospect who has no desire to play there....I get holding onto rights, but odd

Honest question, how is it a waste? My understanding is that they will now hold his rights if he decides to come back but they aren’t paying him anything nor does he count for a roster spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honest question, how is it a waste? My understanding is that they will now hold his rights if he decides to come back but they aren’t paying him anything nor does he count for a roster spot.

Exactly - my understanding is that he could be gone for five+ years, emerge as a late blooming star, and Ottawa will still own his NHL rights.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I wondered if they weren't going to qualify him and if we could get him back in pipeline, but this cans that idea

He wasn't qualified by Toronto, fwiw. Guess that means any NHL franchise can offer him a contract tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad