Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
well, let me think...Drury has already interviewed Gallant, been in contact with Tocchet and reached out to Torts. Meanwhile back at the ranch Jarmo is either waiting for JD (see another of those damn puzzling conclusions) or is waiting for an employed coach or maybe the Finnish coach. My only point is for something that is a fairly important part of moving forward there appears to be little movement so far other than Jarmo's innocuous comment that we have a few guys in mind or something to that effect. Or maybe it is just that Brooks is a lot more tuned in than Porty/Hedger et al.

So just because other teams are starting their coaching search on a different timeline that means we're somehow missing out? Newsflash, guys interview with multiple teams for these gigs, it doesn't mean they're going to jump at the first offer. Also, there are multiple teams looking for coaches and someone we may or may not want is going to get hired by someone else. It doesn't mean we're "settling for seconds". If Gallant interviews with NYR first, then Seattle, then CBJ last, but still takes the CBJ job, would it really matter whether we interviewed him in May or June? You're reaching big time here and it appears you woke up this morning in a mood to just bash Jarmo in every thread.

Reactions: GoJackets1

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So just because other teams are starting their coaching search on a different timeline that means we're somehow missing out? Newsflash, guys interview with multiple teams for these gigs, it doesn't mean they're going to jump at the first offer. Also, there are multiple teams looking for coaches and someone we may or may not want is going to get hired by someone else. It doesn't mean we're "settling for seconds". If Gallant interviews with NYR first, then Seattle, then CBJ last, but still takes the CBJ job, would it really matter whether we interviewed him in May or June? You're reaching big time here and it appears you woke up this morning in a mood to just bash Jarmo in every thread.

No, but if he signs before we interviewed him? And this morning is no different than any other when it comes to my opinion of Jarmo.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
No, but if he signs before we interviewed him? And this morning is no different than any other when it comes to my opinion of Jarmo.

He's already said he would welcome a return to the CBJ, you think he would take another job without at least interviewing here first? I highly doubt it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He's already said he would welcome a return to the CBJ, you think he would take another job without at least interviewing here first? I highly doubt it.

Realistically both Seattle and New York are going to be paying in the $5m+ range for a top coach, that more than doubles the CBJ. So it probably doesn't matter whether we go first or not, they won't decide on our offer until they get word from their first choice.

That's how I imagine it with Gallant. There's other coaches, perhaps Boudreau, that don't anticipate getting one of the NYR or SEA jobs, that would jump at the chance to coach here.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
well, let me think...Drury has already interviewed Gallant, been in contact with Tocchet and reached out to Torts. Meanwhile back at the ranch Jarmo is either waiting for JD (see another of those damn puzzling conclusions) or is waiting for an employed coach or maybe the Finnish coach. My only point is for something that is a fairly important part of moving forward there appears to be little movement so far other than Jarmo's innocuous comment that we have a few guys in mind or something to that effect. Or maybe it is just that Brooks is a lot more tuned in than Porty/Hedger et al.
Or maybe, just maybe, there haven't been reports on Kekalainen's activity because Kekalainen, unlike Drury, runs a tight ship and doesn't leak tidbits left and right?

Reactions: LJ7201 and koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
They traded for Foligno for things like this. I completely agree with other observations — not a great fight, Perry looked like he felt bad, didn’t seem intentional, etc. This is part of Nick’s job on Toronto and why they gave up a first round pick - you hit a big name, Foligno is coming. Imagine the media reaction if he didn't challenge Perry.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
When people try to convince me that because Anderson and Domi had equal regular season stats, the jackets actually won the deal since Anderson is getting paid so much for so long I can understand the argument.

But then I watch games like last night and realize how much better josh Anderson is at everything there is in hockey, except passing/vision, and I can’t agree. The contract is bad, yeah, but man I love me some Anderson.

Reactions: majormajor

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
When people try to convince me that because Anderson and Domi had equal regular season stats, the jackets actually won the deal since Anderson is getting paid so much for so long I can understand the argument.

But then I watch games like last night and realize how much better josh Anderson is at everything there is in hockey, except passing/vision, and I can’t agree. The contract is bad, yeah, but man I love me some Anderson.

I'm not sure what the exact number is, but it feels like Domi needs to get damn near double Anderson's points before I could say the deal was even value.

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'm not sure what the exact number is, but it feels like Domi needs to get damn near double Anderson's points before I could say the deal was even value.

I think the true measure, and not just for Domi and Anderson, is ability to contribute to team’s success. Anderson is ahead on this measure this year. But it is still too early to judge. Even for this season.

Let’s let the playoffs end. Montreal would have made the playoffs with or without the trade. The Jackets would likely have missed the playoffs without the trade. (Unless the reason PLD wanted out was because of the trade.) The question is does Josh help them beat the Leafs and advance.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think the true measure, and not just for Domi and Anderson, is ability to contribute to team’s success.

This is my point though. I think Anderson contributes to a team's success in ways other than points, whereas so far Domi's contributions seem pretty limited to points. This can certainly change, I'm not judging the trade yet.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is my point though. I think Anderson contributes to a team's success in ways other than points, whereas so far Domi's contributions seem pretty limited to points. This can certainly change, I'm not judging the trade yet.

If the question is ‘did the Jackets lose the trade’ the answer is ‘yes.’ Get on board.

Last edited:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Not gonna lie. Last night was the first Montreal game I watched this season on purpose. Andy was one of my favorite CBJ players and I didn't really care to see him playing on another team. Last night he looked like the same player he was on this team when he was healthy....maybe less physical. Still love his game. He's missed.....at least by me.

I don't know where Domi fits on the team anymore. Once they deep sixed the plan to play him up the middle so early in the season he became another redundant winger. Might be best to move him.

Reactions: Monk and majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad