Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I hope this is not true, and there is a lot of things to suggest it isn’t (the person who accused him is an ex NHL enforcer who is a Putin loyalist). But the LOA makes me pause.

I hope he and his family are staying safe and I hope this story isn’t true.

I think the LOA is probably just the Rangers becoming overly cautious. They just got burned by DeAngelo, and it's just how things work in the U.S. now, guilty until proven innocent.

It makes for a bad combination with Russian misinformation.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I'm going the other way...how would this guy have kept it a secret this long if there is a record of it in Russia/Latvia? Seems like it should easily be verifiable.
Honestly, I bet there’s so many situations with pro athletes that we don’t know about and that were silenced and hid under the rug with money or powerful friends. It’s even easier to do in Russia or Former Soviet Union countries.
However, I find it unlikely that 19 year old Panarin had either and it’s only possible if the club officials helped him.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Crazy story out of New York but it looks like Artemi Panarin is taking a leave of absence from the Rangers due to politics back in Russia. It's alleged he beat up a girl back in 2011 and some feel this story is being fueled by his anti-Putin statements in the past.

Rangers Star Artemi Panarin Takes Leave Of Absence After Wild Claims That Could Be Tied To Russian Politics – OutKick

I don't know why there is any "some feel" or "could be" to this. It is 100% tied to and fueled by the political stances. Nazarov is a pro-Putin partisan and he is attacking Panarin who is an anti-Putin partisan. Partisans on opposite sides attack each other for political reasons, it is the same for every country. Nazarov is not a victim advocate or someone with any stake here other than being a pro-Putin partisan.

That Nazarov is using this to attack Panarin for political reasons is certain, and that is true regardless of whether it is entirely misinformation or whether there is truth in the story.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Florida beats Dallas in regulation. That’s good for us

Florida is so fun to watch. Really like how they play. With the East/west/whatever we’re in being so wide open they can easily make a title run IMO.

Carolina is still my favorite, but they’re right there

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Watching Tampa-Carolina was like a whole other world compared to CBJ games. Guys could actually complete passes and carry the puck into the offensive zone. Mind blowing

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
This was one of the most earned EN goals i've seen this season. Steal ..Drag ..Backhand

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Florida is so fun to watch. Really like how they play. With the East/west/whatever we’re in being so wide open they can easily make a title run IMO.

Carolina is still my favorite, but they’re right there
Wonder what went right for them ? They lost Hoffman and Dadonov but didn’t notice it.

Hornqvist, Verhaege, Duclair, Wennberg are all performing well

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wonder what went right for them ? They lost Hoffman and Dadonov but didn’t notice it.

They always had the high end talent but just failed year after year to get away from the super loose bad defensive hockey. Matheson and Yandle especially were brutal last year. Zito came in and did what many thought was impossible: he moved out Matheson, and managed to get a great fitting player back. Then they gave Yandle an ultimatum, play better or don't play. That's the big upgrade, they're not a porous team anymore. Their offensive performance is the same.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Got a system to buy into, got players who believe in that system, and as MM said they've always had the top end talent.

If they can ever get Bob on track, they'd be real dangerous. I can't trust Drieger though.

Reactions: CPTN71

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Going back to Panarin, a teammate of his in 2011 spoke up and said that they did have drinks and that they had a conflict with a group of girls that were also intoxicated but Panarin didn’t beat up anyone, according to Anisin, “the worst that could have happened is Panarin pushed one of the girls away from him, and I am not sure even this had happened ”.

Анисин о ситуации с Панариным: «Тема слегка оттолкнул одну из девушек, максимум. И то не факт, что это произошло. Ударов и разбитого лица точно не было»

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Going back to Panarin, a teammate of his in 2011 spoke up and said that they did have drinks and that they had a conflict with a group of girls that were also intoxicated but Panarin didn’t beat up anyone, according to Anisin, “the worst that could have happened is Panarin pushed one of the girls away from him, and I am not sure even this had happened ”.

Анисин о ситуации с Панариным: «Тема слегка оттолкнул одну из девушек, максимум. И то не факт, что это произошло. Ударов и разбитого лица точно не было»

Hm, so now he WAS involved in something, this is never good when it is vehemently denied but then bits and pieces come out putting the person at the scene. Sounds like something did happen after all

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hm, so now he WAS involved in something, this is never good when it is vehemently denied but then bits and pieces come out putting the person at the scene. Sounds like something did happen after all

I don't know what you're getting at here. If someone is accused of violently punching out a girl at a bar, vehemently denies that they attacked anyone, and then a witness says they were at the bar but there was no attack, it doesn't confirm the original accusation or lend even the smallest bit of credence to it. Panarin didn't deny being at the bar. The bar, by the way, says this never occurred.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don't know what you're getting at here. If someone is accused of violently punching out a girl at a bar, vehemently denies that they attacked anyone, and then a witness says they were at the bar but there was no attack, it doesn't confirm the original accusation or lend even the smallest bit of credence to it. Panarin didn't deny being at the bar. The bar, by the way, says this never occurred.
I think what Anisin is saying likely true - drunk Panarin had an argument with a drunk girl and pushed her. Nazarov made up the beating up and attempted rape allegations. While it’s certainly not making Panarin look good, it’s certainly not as bad as what Nazarov was saying

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think what Anisin is saying likely true - drunk Panarin had an argument with a drunk girl and pushed her. Nazarov made up the beating up and attempted rape allegations. While it’s certainly not making Panarin look good, it’s certainly not as bad as what Nazarov was saying

The hotel/bar said it never happened. The teammate says the "pushing the girl away" might not have even happened. And I'll say, this is where the translation may get lost - "pushing away" might have just meant he made it clear he wasn't interested or something, not an actual placing of hands on this person.

KHL: Not aware of any incident involving Panarin

Nazarov, the former Vityaz coach, told a Russian newspaper that while his team was on a road trip to Riga, Latvia, in 2011, Panarin got into a physical altercation with an 18-year-old woman. In his interview, Nazarov said Panarin "sent her to the floor with several powerful blows." He also said that a criminal case was opened but that local police were paid 40,000 euros to cover it up.

Since Panarin went on leave, there has been no corroborating evidence and no court or police records to support Nazarov's allegations, nor has a victim come forward.

ESPN spoke with two of Panarin's teammates from the 2011 Vityaz team. Kip Brennan said he didn't "hear or know of anything like that happening." Jon Mirasty, although he called Nazarov a "good guy" and said he enjoyed playing for the coach, was also skeptical.

"I barely think anything like that would've happened, and I'm sure I would've heard about it," Mirasty said. "And I don't understand why it would be brought up 10 years later. Sounds like a hoax to me."

Seems like if you're going to say this incident occurred, triggered a police investigation, *and* it sounds like the start of a criminal trial (again, perhaps we're losing the meaning a bit in translation) that it should be pretty easy for someone in Latvia to corroborate.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Mirasty lol talk about a blast from the past in the old Crunch threads.

Edit: I've been hearing, and it's totally not made up, that the the Rangers FORCED Panarin (like a dog!) to go on leave to help their tank chances, SAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad