Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Throwing Holtby’s playoff performance from last season aside.. here is his combined last season and this season stats:

62 games:

33 quality starts.
3.04 GAA.
.905 save percentage.
1 shutout.

Wow.

Reactions: Monk

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Today an arbitrator reduced Tom Wilson's 20 game suspension to 14 (even though he's already missed 16). Having been in loved in arbitration in the past, I guess I'm not surprised......though disappointed.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Pearson hasn't been good in a long time, this is just a shakeup trade for the Pens. Meanwhile it gets the Kings speed, something they really needed.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Anyone else surprised Nylander is still holding out? The December 1st deadline is coming up real fast
And there's more than a little crazy surrounding that. One poster in the threads discussing same honest to G-d said that, when asked about blueliners that they'd consider fitting returns for Nylander, started listing names like Matt Dumba, Dougie Hamiton, and Seth Jones.

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
And there's more than a little crazy surrounding that. One poster in the threads discussing same honest to G-d said that, when asked about blueliners that they'd consider fitting returns for Nylander, started listing names like Matt Dumba, Dougie Hamiton, and Seth Jones.

Something tells me that will never happen. I can't recall exactly which one (because I listen to far to many, maybe 31 thoughts? The Hockey News?) but even Florida wouldn't go for a Matheson for Nylander deal.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hitch is back...

EltonJohn.jpg

Reactions: Monk

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Hitch to Edmonton smacks of desperation. His effectiveness has fallen with each successive stop. Mclellan's schemes were not the problem in Edmonton, the personnel was. I watch a lot of Oilers games and that team has to work really hard just to stay at .500.

Chia's days are numbered.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Hitch to Edmonton smacks of desperation. His effectiveness has fallen with each successive stop. Mclellan's schemes were not the problem in Edmonton, the personnel was. I watch a lot of Oilers games and that team has to work really hard just to stay at .500.

Chia's days are numbered.
I can see how this has the look of desperation, the Oilers are a desperate team. There was certainly nothing to indicate McLellan was going to turn it around. While Hitch's time may be of an earlier time, the Oilers defense is a problem and Hitchcock teams almost always become better at that end and i suspect he will do the same with Edmonton. That alone may not offset their offensive shortfalls beyond the top two lines. But I do think they'll battle for the 3rd spot in the Pacific.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I can see how this has the look of desperation, the Oilers are a desperate team. There was certainly nothing to indicate McLellan was going to turn it around. While Hitch's time may be of an earlier time, the Oilers defense is a problem and Hitchcock teams almost always become better at that end and i suspect he will do the same with Edmonton. That alone may not offset their offensive shortfalls beyond the top two lines. But I do think they'll battle for the 3rd spot in the Pacific.

I'd agree but I think they're not a bad team without the puck. They check well. Hitch's strengths as a coach have been in fixing problems that the Oilers don't have.

I could be wrong but I don't remember Hitch making players better passers - which is more the issue in Edmonton. Their D defend okay but can't transition.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'd agree but I think they're not a bad team without the puck. They check well. Hitch's strengths as a coach have been in fixing problems that the Oilers don't have.

I could be wrong but I don't remember Hitch making players better passers - which is more the issue in Edmonton. Their D defend okay but can't transition.
I dunno MM....check out the Goalie GAAs. Now I’m looking at stats where you’ve watched them more, but the GAAs look leaky and the dialogue on SiriusXM often is focused on Dmen.....and Lucic

Reactions: CPTN71

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I dunno MM....check out the Goalie GAAs. Now I’m looking at stats where you’ve watched them more, but the GAAs look leaky and the dialogue on SiriusXM often is focused on Dmen.....and Lucic

They have 66 goals against, same as the Jackets with half the talent.

They don't play safe is death either. .. but I think they give up a lot of goals as a consequence of not moving the puck well. Nurse / Larsson / Russell, they can defend and win pucks but what good is it if their passes are a little off and they have to go right back to defending (excuse that Larsson just got uncharacteristically walked on Couture's goal, about 10 minutes ago.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad