Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It isn't about them being as good as they were last year. It's that owners overshot in trying to prevent them from being absolutely terrible out of the gate.

I'm convinced that owners could have had at least 2 more protection slots AND gotten the full $500 million out of Vegas AND Vegas would have been ok not terrible.

I base that on the fact that Vegas invested in the arena (2013-2014) well before their bid (2016) and honestly aren't going to get an NBA team any time soon. What are they going to do? Sit on an empty arena over teams being able to protect 2 more players? No, they would have paid the buy in amount which is only slightly more than what Columbus and Minnesota paid when you account for the increase in league revenue and average increase in franchise value between 1997 and 2017. They paid way more than those franchises did because NHL franchises are way more valuable today than they were 18 years ago.

They're doing the same with Seattle by the way. The owners see their share of the buy-in fee and pretty much greenlight whatever instead of actually trying to bargain for their club's best interests.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It isn't about them being as good as they were last year. It's that owners overshot in trying to prevent them from being absolutely terrible out of the gate.

I'm convinced that owners could have had at least 2 more protection slots AND gotten the full $500 million out of Vegas AND Vegas would have been ok not terrible.

I base that on the fact that Vegas invested in the arena (2013-2014) well before their bid (2016) and honestly aren't going to get an NBA team any time soon. What are they going to do? Sit on an empty arena over teams being able to protect 2 more players? No, they would have paid the buy in amount which is only slightly more than what Columbus and Minnesota paid when you account for the increase in league revenue and average increase in franchise value between 1997 and 2017. They paid way more than those franchises did because NHL franchises are way more valuable today than they were 18 years ago.

They're doing the same with Seattle by the way. The owners see their share of the buy-in fee and pretty much greenlight whatever instead of actually trying to bargain for their club's best interests.

:huh:. I tend to agree with CBJW's comment. I have no idea what this has to do with their lousy start.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Last year every guy on the Vegas team had a huge chip on his shoulder. Every single one wanted to prove something to the team that didn’t want them (I recognize that might not exactly be true but it could emotionally be the way the guys felt). So, getting up for games would have been much easier last season.

Just look at the CBJ first season versus years two and three. (Going off of memory not stats)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe parity in the NHL is higher than ANY major sorts league in the world.

And that chemistry, development and potential don't work in real life like they do in EA Sports.

Boy when you get something on the brain you just hammer it home.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
For all of you that yearn for the past...

I'm usually against nostalgia for the bad old days, but I think he could be a very good fit here in a 3rd/4th line role here.

The management that once thought so highly of him is still in place so seems a little less unlikely than most reunions proposed by CBJ Fans.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Avs claimed Dano, dont know where on the list they are
Almost the same as going back to the CBJ for Dano given that Bednar coached him in Cleveland.

Going to be interesting to see if he's a full time NHLer or the second coming of Jack Skille.

Reactions: Jovavic

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I wish him the best and hope he has a nice long career, but have we watched him since he’s been gone? Or are our thoughts about him based on his time here? Because he’s really bounced around and hasn’t stuck.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I wish him the best and hope he has a nice long career, but have we watched him since he’s been gone? Or are our thoughts about him based on his time here? Because he’s really bounced around and hasn’t stuck.

I watch the Jets a lot and Dano has been just fine for a 4th liner. He actually scores at a decent rate and I'm sure he could play higher up in the lineup, but his overall game isn't great. He's really just good in front of the net. He offers a similar tradeoff as Milano does, maybe a little more consistent even than Milano, but lacks the speed and thus some of the upside. We might have put in a claim actually, and just had the Avs come ahead in the priority list. But it's no big loss - it would just be a battle between him and Milano for ice time and a depth role, and it appears Milano has more long run upside.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad