Around Hockey XIX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Double dirty play by Ovechkin and Niskanen on the Crosby take out. Bunch of goons.

Don't like Sid, but no one wants to see a guy's head used as a pinata. Kind of want both teams to lose now, even though one has to win.

This has been a serious struggle of mine as well. I decided the Caps should lose first, then the Pens. But **** 'em both.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Double dirty play by Ovechkin and Niskanen on the Crosby take out. Bunch of goons.

Don't like Sid, but no one wants to see a guy's head used as a pinata. Kind of want both teams to lose now, even though one has to win.

I don't know, I have watched the play numerous times, and I can't say for sure that it was intentional. Crosby actually loses control and flies into Niskanen. It could be that Niskanen just reacts by raising his hands (and stick) to defend himself against the collision. Those things are bang-bang plays. He gets the big penalty because it turned out to be a head-shot, and a head-shot to hockey's version of a God, but I still can't definitively say it was intentional.

My son-in-law is a huge Pens fan, and though he did not like what happened, he won't say that it was intentional either.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't know, I have watched the play numerous times, and I can't say for sure that it was intentional. Crosby actually loses control and flies into Niskanen. It could be that Niskanen just reacts by raising his hands (and stick) to defend himself against the collision. Those things are bang-bang plays. He gets the big penalty because it turned out to be a head-shot, and a head-shot to hockey's version of a God, but I still can't definitively say it was intentional.

My son-in-law is a huge Pens fan, and though he did not like what happened, he won't say that it was intentional either.

Well, Ovi's "hockey play" was completely intentional. Crosby loses balance because Ovechkin hits him in the head with his stick and trips him at the same time. Niskanen...I guess you could say didn't really do his part to not collide with Crosby, which he could have. I think if Crosby isn't falling down, that's just a cross check to the shoulder. In real time, maybe it's hard for Niskanen to change his path to avoid the falling Crosby. I don't know.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Well, Ovi's "hockey play" was completely intentional. Crosby loses balance because Ovechkin hits him in the head with his stick and trips him at the same time. Niskanen...I guess you could say didn't really do his part to not collide with Crosby, which he could have. I think if Crosby isn't falling down, that's just a cross check to the shoulder. In real time, maybe it's hard for Niskanen to change his path to avoid the falling Crosby. I don't know.

It looks like Ovechkins stick hits Crosby on the shoulder. The trip does not look intentional. At worst, Ovechkin gets 2 minutes for the slash. The question then turns to why doesn't the Ref call it? They can certainly call the penalty on Ovi, and the penalties on Niskanen. They don't have to ignore a penalty on Ovi, just because they call the major on Niskanen.

Ovi is a hard-nosed player. Is he dirty? I don't know, but he plays on the edge. To me, that play happens to fast to be premeditated. Something like boarding Crosby, or seeking him out for a high open ice hit, could conceivably be construed as intentional. But the play that happened just could not be something that was planned.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
The CBJ losing the way they did in the first round is not disappointing. I had low expectations (mid-80s for points is what I would have guessed) for this season and so they exceeded my expectations by default.

It still sucks that the Pens are still playing. And Rick *** Nash. And Ryan *** Johanssen.

Ugh. :madfire:

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Nashville's uniforms are atrocious.

Ha ha, I just told my wife the same thing not even 15 minutes ago! We did decide they are very "distinctive".

I don't know if its a hold-over of the old "Darth Vader" Central Division days or jealousy of the success of one of our nearly expansion brothers, but I just can't seem to bring myself to root for the Preds. I've seen multiple games (Blue Jackets and others) at Bridgestone and its an absolute great venue, but I find myself strangely rooting for the Blues as I watch this game :dunno:

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
I guess it's just cause Nashville has great defense this year. (Oh wait the've had great defense every year) :P

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
All Columbus had to do was keep the status quo and they woulda had an unreal team. But they traded their best player for a mediocre d-man and hired the worst coach in the history of the NHL. It's a sad state of affairs in Columbus.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
All Columbus had to do was keep the status quo and they woulda had an unreal team. But they traded their best player for a mediocre d-man and hired the worst coach in the history of the NHL. It's a sad state of affairs in Columbus.

Yeah, we're crying buckets over here with our 100 point season for the first time in our history.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well ya you had a great team. Your management just screwed you by trading your best player and hiring a terrible coach.

You don't make any sense. You can hate Torts as a coach if you want ,that's fine, but he's a hell of a coach. His results speak for themselves.

As a Johansen fan, and continued fan/supporter, but trading him for Seth Jones was a great move for our team. Jones had 42 points. He was amazing for Columbus. I realize you're excited about your own team but coming in here, unprovoked, to talk trash is quite stupid. YOu're happy with Joey, which is great, but Jones is far better than a "mediocre dman" and Torts is a hell of a coach.

You can believe what you want, but your initial post is wrong on every level.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Ok. Thanks for your input.

(No one really cares what you think)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Drive-by know-nothing.

v0065_s-200x150.gif

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

You're either a trolling SOB or stupid. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're stupid.....Now go back to your own sandbox and play.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It's semi-depressing to see the Predators blue line and realize the CBJ had a chance to draft nearly all of them. Instead, we ended up with Cody Goloubef (one freaking spot ahead of Roman Josi), Stefan Legein (6 spots ahead of PK Subban), David Savard (8 spots ahead of Ekholm). Not to mention the '03 fiasco of Zherdev/Fritsche instead of Suter/Weber.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's semi-depressing to see the Predators blue line and realize the CBJ had a chance to draft nearly all of them. Instead, we ended up with Cody Goloubef (one freaking spot ahead of Roman Josi), Stefan Legein (6 spots ahead of PK Subban), David Savard (8 spots ahead of Ekholm). Not to mention the '03 fiasco of Zherdev/Fritsche instead of Suter/Weber.

semi ?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I prefer Savard to Ekholm. Josi/Goloubef has stuck in my craw for a lonnnnnng time, tho. Having Werenski-Jones helps make up for it, tho - I think those two are ultimately going to be better than any pairing Nashville has had. :D

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Lost in the controversial OT goal is the fact that Edmonton somehow blew a three goal lead in under 3 and a half minutes.

That's so terrible, it's impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln