Around Hockey XIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I would define their "core" as being Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, and Schultz. I would think those guys as untouchable. Anyone else seems to be fair game, from everything I'm hearing.

I'd put Yakupov in there too for core IMO, but I still think they may deal one of them.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
At least he gets there. And how much of that do you attribute to him? It's not like the Caps have gone on winning Cups without him. In fact, I think it's obvious that, as a whole, the Capitals are in far worse shape without him behind the bench.

Might want to think that comment over a little bit.

they have lost some good players in semin and flash etc. some key players have regressed.

he could never adjust in playoffs. well so far hasn't. he tries the same thing, over and over again. come hell or high water. same thing happened in anaheim-detroit series last year.

he's excellent regular season coach, one of the best. i attribute a lot of capitals and lately ducks regular season success for boudreau he helped a lot of players develop in washington and seems to be doing the same thing in anaheim. but come playoffs, team's will focus more on team's weaknesses, coaching adjustments become more important.. he hasn't been good there.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'd put Yakupov in there too for core IMO, but I still think they may deal one of them.

Yakupov has fallen completely out of favor with the coaching staff. Rumor has it, they are shopping him for defensive help but are asking a ton.

they have lost some good players in semin and flash etc. some key players have regressed.

he could never adjust in playoffs. well so far hasn't. he tries the same thing, over and over again. come hell or high water. same thing happened in anaheim-detroit series last year.

he's excellent regular season coach, one of the best. i attribute a lot of capitals and lately ducks regular season success for boudreau he helped a lot of players develop in washington and seems to be doing the same thing in anaheim. but come playoffs, team's will focus more on team's weaknesses, coaching adjustments become more important.. he hasn't been good there.

I just can't really agree with any of the notion that he "chokes" in the playoffs. Looking at his history, he's made the playoffs 5 times; and in those 5 times he's made the second round twice, losing one in a game 7 and being swept in the other. In all of the other three years, he's gone to game 7 in the first round before his teams have lost. On one of those occasions, the team he lost to (Pittsburgh) was the eventual Cup winner. The other two (Philadelphia, 2007-08, Detroit, 2013), were in his first year with his teams; and both were abbreviated years where he saw no training camp.

Only one team wins the Cup. I've never been a fan of firing guys because they don't win the Cup ... Bruce Boudreau is a fine coach; in my opinion one of the top 2-3 in the entire league. Eventually, he will find a way to win the thing, and all of the question marks over him will be gone.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Yakupov has fallen completely out of favor with the coaching staff. Rumor has it, they are shopping him for defensive help but are asking a ton.

Rumor also has it that Yakky doesn't do rebounds…

Yakupov may end up having a better career than Murray, but I'm glad that draft went down the way it did. If Yakupov had similar struggles here, the weight of the comparisons to Zherdev and Filatov would have been too much for him and this fan base to take. I'll take Steady Eddy Murray any day of the week at this point.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Rumor also has it that Yakky doesn't do rebounds…

Yakupov may end up having a better career than Murray, but I'm glad that draft went down the way it did. If Yakupov had similar struggles here, the weight of the comparisons to Zherdev and Filatov would have been too much for him and this fan base to take. I'll take Steady Eddy Murray any day of the week at this point.

Sometimes the safe call is more than just safe. In this case, at this time, it appears it was also the right call.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
Waiting till mid Dec could create too big of a hole to crawl out of. But on HNIC they said that we had scouts at the Oilers last game and they may be interested in Nikitin. Maybe we can talk Niles into taking RJ as well

From the rumblings I've heard, Scott Howson has surprisingly little input into the actual operations of the team. It would continue to be Kevin Lowe's massive ego having already run the franchise into the ground, then hitting bedrock and continuing to drill straight down.

Expect the struggles to continue if this is in fact the case.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
From the rumblings I've heard, Scott Howson has surprisingly little input into the actual operations of the team. It would continue to be Kevin Lowe's massive ego having already run the franchise into the ground, then hitting bedrock and continuing to drill straight down.

I won't speak to much of this... Post...

But why would anyone think Howson has a lot to do with anything? He's not the GM over there. It's strange that we continue to make references to him as though he's somehow relevant to the discussion of making a trade; beyond possible asking for a scouting report and maybe being asked what his opinion is on a player.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Rags losing last night helps...

Regardless of the standings; I always wake up with a smile when the Rangers lose. Unless they lose to the Mild in a game that doesn't mean anything to our playoff hopes.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I won't speak to much of this... Post...

But why would anyone think Howson has a lot to do with anything? He's not the GM over there. It's strange that we continue to make references to him as though he's somehow relevant to the discussion of making a trade; beyond possible asking for a scouting report and maybe being asked what his opinion is on a player.
The same is true of Kevin Lowe, but he keeps coming up in Edmonton discussions all the same. :)

major major

Feb 18, 2013

The Oilers are so overstocked with young assets... I'd love to see what Howson could do with them (I think he had very little to work with here, and did well in difficult circumstances).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Oilers are so overstocked with young assets... I'd love to see what Howson could do with them (I think he had very little to work with here, and did well in difficult circumstances).

Well, already they are all signed to long term contracts, more indicative of potential then achievement, so not much. :sarcasm:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, already they are all signed to long term contracts, more indicative of potential then achievement, so not much. :sarcasm:
Funny thing is, with the sole and exclusive exception of Steve Mason, none of those contracts got in the way of essential deals that brought in guys like Nikitin and Gaborik.

That said, those sorts of contracts are kind of a Kevin Lowe tradition. See: Horcoff, Shawn.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Just announced that Nash will play on Tuesday. Good news!

Good to hear. I'll probably end up watching that game instead of the Jackets since I have to bu up at 5:00 AM. Maybe I'll catch the first half of the first period of our game.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
I'd say to be wary of putting too much emphasis on Nash. He's proven in the past that he doesn't thrive when he's the "go-to" guy that gets all of the attention. He needs to be #2 in order to really be a game changer. Have a playmaker be the mainstay of the team and let Nash be... well himself.

He should be fine. They still have Brassard! :sarcasm:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Mason winning tonight... he's close to .500 with great numbers... .931/2.13 this year, Philly might be making a turn....

Stopped a Turris PS too.... he looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad