Around Hockey XIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
country club...all country club all the time...

cue up the merle haggard "just some good ole boys"

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Regier, Rolston fired; Pat LaFontaine-President of Hockey Ops; Ted Nolan-coach

Now there's some action... The owner is going back to the old days, Teddy will get the Sabres playing, I don't know how long he will last but he was liked when in Buffalo back in '95..

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Regier, Rolston fired; Pat LaFontaine-President of Hockey Ops; Ted Nolan-coach

Now there's some action... The owner is going back to the old days, Teddy will get the Sabres playing, I don't know how long he will last but he was liked when in Buffalo back in '95..

When all else fails, bring back your own retreads.

This would be like making Geoff Sanderson president of hockey ops and sticking Gerard Gallant behind the bench.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
When all else fails, bring back your own retreads.

This would be like making Geoff Sanderson president of hockey ops and sticking Gerard Gallant behind the bench.

True... except the guys the Sabres have brought back knew how to win and did... I don't think Nolan will coach next season, the new GM (whoever that will be) will probably hire his own guy...

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
True... except the guys the Sabres have brought back knew how to win and did... I don't think Nolan will coach next season, the new GM (whoever that will be) will probably hire his own guy...

Lafontaine's only experience with winning was the 1996 World Cup, when he was about the 8th-best forward on Team USA.

Nolan's four years of NHL head coaching netted him exactly one playoff series win and two years out of the playoffs entirely. His first year in Buffalo was worse than the previous year with John Muckler, and his second year (that everyone went nuts over) was still worse than under Muckler the year before that. His first year with the Islanders was 1 point better than Steve Stirling's first year there, and his second year was 1 point better than the year that got Stirling fired.

Hell, Ned Harkness had a lot of success at lower levels and couldn't do much in the NHL. Plenty of coaches have had success at the lower levels and couldn't translate it.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Lafontaine's only experience with winning was the 1996 World Cup, when he was about the 8th-best forward on Team USA.

Nolan's four years of NHL head coaching netted him exactly one playoff series win and two years out of the playoffs entirely. His first year in Buffalo was worse than the previous year with John Muckler, and his second year (that everyone went nuts over) was still worse than under Muckler the year before that. His first year with the Islanders was 1 point better than Steve Stirling's first year there, and his second year was 1 point better than the year that got Stirling fired.

Hell, Ned Harkness had a lot of success at lower levels and couldn't do much in the NHL. Plenty of coaches have had success at the lower levels and couldn't translate it.

They are winners... and when compared to Sanderson as President and Gallant as coach it's not even close.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
They are winners... and when compared to Sanderson as President and Gallant as coach it's not even close.

In the CHL, the Saint John Sea Dogs went 161-34-9 in the regular season under Gallant. In the QMJHL playoffs, they were 46-11 (7 of those losses coming in a single year, meaning the other two years were 16-3 and 16-1), winning two league championships. They were 6-3 in Memorial Cup play, winning one. The year after he moved on, the Sea Dogs went from 50-15-3 to 23-44-1.

That's an overall record of 213-48-9.

In Nolan's five years with the Soo Greyhounds, they were 174-129-27. They missed the playoffs one year, lost in the playoffs twice, and won two OHL championships. They won a Memorial Cup (through the backdoor with that goofy host series playoff they did). In his year with the Moncton Wildcats, they went 52-15-3, then 16-5 in the playoffs en route to a QMJHL championship; they lost in the Memorial Cup.

Pat Lafontaine was part of the USA's 1996 World Cup winning team. Geoff Sanderson was a part of World Championship wins in 1994 and 1997, plus a Memorial Cup in 1989.

When Lafontaine was with the Sabres, they did not win. They had one playoff series win in 1992-93, then were swept in the next round. That is all. With Nolan as the coach, they won a seven-game series against Ottawa (who finished below .500), then were swept in the next round.

...am I missing the part where they won something? Anything?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
In the CHL, the Saint John Sea Dogs went 161-34-9 in the regular season under Gallant. In the QMJHL playoffs, they were 46-11 (7 of those losses coming in a single year, meaning the other two years were 16-3 and 16-1), winning two league championships. They were 6-3 in Memorial Cup play, winning one. The year after he moved on, the Sea Dogs went from 50-15-3 to 23-44-1.

That's an overall record of 213-48-9.

In Nolan's five years with the Soo Greyhounds, they were 174-129-27. They missed the playoffs one year, lost in the playoffs twice, and won two OHL championships. They won a Memorial Cup (through the backdoor with that goofy host series playoff they did). In his year with the Moncton Wildcats, they went 52-15-3, then 16-5 in the playoffs en route to a QMJHL championship; they lost in the Memorial Cup.

Pat Lafontaine was part of the USA's 1996 World Cup winning team. Geoff Sanderson was a part of World Championship wins in 1994 and 1997, plus a Memorial Cup in 1989.

When Lafontaine was with the Sabres, they did not win. They had one playoff series win in 1992-93, then were swept in the next round. That is all. With Nolan as the coach, they won a seven-game series against Ottawa (who finished below .500), then were swept in the next round.

...am I missing the part where they won something? Anything?

I was thinking of winners in the sense of mentality as much has anything.. You can have Gallant, I'll take Nolan..

RogerSterling

Aug 25, 2013
I was thinking of winners in the sense of mentality as much has anything.. You can have Gallant, I'll take Nolan..

If you think Gallant, or just about anyone who has made it to the NHL level in coaching, doesn't have a "winning mentality" then you're hopeless. I seriously hope that isn't what you're implying.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So now we are making the judgement that Gallant doesn't have a "winners mentality". I'm not sure people really listen to themselves or really think it through.

As you well know, I disliked Arniel. But I also realized he is a driven guy and he didn't get to the level he did by being a complete idiot. Nor did Howson. I would never accuse those guys of not having a desire or mentality to win. That's just insane.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 56s
It looks like Nik Zherdev is ending his relationship with his 3rd KHL club since the end of last season. Has not scored a goal this season.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 56s
It looks like Nik Zherdev is ending his relationship with his 3rd KHL club since the end of last season. Has not scored a goal this season.

It's too bad. He's the Nuke Laloosh of hockey. Million dollar talent, 10 cent head. His talent is definitely worthy of the NHL, he just doesn't have the maturity to handle professional sports apparently. Another waste of talent. It's a shame, he's still in his 20's and his career is likely over.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
It's too bad. He's the Nuke Laloosh of hockey. Million dollar talent, 10 cent head. His talent is definitely worthy of the NHL, he just doesn't have the maturity to handle professional sports apparently. Another waste of talent. It's a shame, he's still in his 20's and his career is likely over.

maybe he should breathe thru his eyelids? :D

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Nuke Laloosh was based on an actual pitcher named Steve Dalkowski, who was apparently just barely this side of mentally Pejorative Slured. Earl Weaver had him in Elmira, and realized that when you'd talk to him, he would just glaze over. Finally they made all players in the system take an IQ test, and Dalkowski scored at something like the 1st percentile in basically every category.

Weaver then told Dalkowski that, since his stuff was unhittable, to just throw his fastball and slider and do nothing else. Let the catcher worry about preventing steals, let everyone else handle the fielding unless it was right to him. During a spring training session, Ted Williams once watched Dalkowski with great interest. Finally, he grabbed a bat, dug in, and watched three fastballs go right past him. A reporter asked him how fast this pitch was, and Williams shook his head and said, "Don't know; didn't see it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad