Around Hockey XIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Makes you wonder - if Chicago thinks he is worth a shot, why not other teams? Seems like we could have matched the offer?

Why? We already have lot's of guys just like him. If you listened to Bowman all he would say was versatile, experienced, can play up and down the line up, someone we know and he knows us.

What we need is someone who can score. What we need is what Gabby is supposed to be. What we need is to get healthy.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Makes you wonder - if Chicago thinks he is worth a shot, why not other teams? Seems like we could have matched the offer?

Yeah for two depth prospects, Versteeg at half salary is an easy yes. We should have raised the offer, if we had a chance.

Florida must be desperate.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
Might be a good thing the CBJ are in the East this year, you guys can still make the playoffs. The West is just bat **** crazy. The 9th place Canucks would be out of the playoffs today if playoffs started today at 25 points, but they would place 2nd place in teh East tied with Boston. There may be less teams in the West, but the East would be the easier of the sides to grab a spot for the big dance

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Yeah for two depth prospects, Versteeg at half salary is an easy yes. We should have raised the offer, if we had a chance.

Again.. why?

in 18 games he's 2-5 7 and a-9. How does he solve any problems? There are more than enough of his type on the roster. Why give away assets and take a roster spot for a less than lateral move? Just because it's Chris Versteeg? He sure hasn't shown much since he left CHI.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Again.. why?

in 18 games he's 2-5 7 and a-9. How does he solve any problems? There are more than enough of his type on the roster. Why give away assets and take a roster spot for a less than lateral move? Just because it's Chris Versteeg? He sure hasn't shown much since he left CHI.

He was a definite top-six winger. Perhaps not anymore because he's had injuries. This year's scoring is a really small sample size, so I wouldn't know. Have you seen if he's physically hampered? If not then he's an upgrade for us. His scoring in Toronto and his first year in Florida was higher than his scoring in Chicago.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
He was a definite top-six winger. Perhaps not anymore because he's had injuries. This year's scoring is a really small sample size, so I wouldn't know. Have you seen if he's physically hampered? If not then he's an upgrade for us. His scoring in Toronto and his first year in Florida was higher than his scoring in Chicago.

Was being the operative word here. Just don't see him as a definitive upgrade.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

This is the second time that Tallon was traded someone who has value for his old prospects who haven't done anything and likely never will.

First time was Michal Frolik (who had good value) and Alexander Salak (middling, but high-ceiling) for Jack Skille, Hugh Jessiman, and David Pacan.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
@mirtle 29m

Sportsnet has two Sportsnet panelists on its "potential Sabres GM candidates" list: Doug MacLean and Neil Smith.

lolololol.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
@mirtle 29m

Sportsnet has two Sportsnet panelists on its "potential Sabres GM candidates" list: Doug MacLean and Neil Smith.

lolololol.

Somewhere, Robert's head just exploded.

EDIT: Any takers that Milbury is mentioned as being a possibility before it's all said and done?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Somewhere, Robert's head just exploded.

EDIT: Any takers that Milbury is mentioned as being a possibility before it's all said and done?

Rick Dudley is my guess.. Neil Smith is being discussed because of time with Islanders.. I have no clue why MacLean is being discussed but I doubt he's in the Sabre future.

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Why not round out the Tri-Suck with Don Waddell?

LaFontaine is well respected in the league buddy and Nolan will get the Sabres competing.. there will be more wins than just last night under his tenure.. He may not be coach next season but he is now and he will get the Sabres on the right track...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Now this is organizational depth.

Ducks sent Frederik Andersen back to the minors:

The 24-year-old netminder had a 6-1-0 record with a .943 save percentage and a 1.66 goals-against average at the NHL level. The Ducks have great organizational depth in the crease and Andersen's success, coupled with John Gibson's superb play in the minors, could make for some interesting decisions when it comes to Jonas Hiller or Viktor Fasth. Andersen was sent down because Fasth was ready to rejoin the big club from his conditioning loan.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Now this is organizational depth.

Ducks sent Frederik Andersen back to the minors:

The 24-year-old netminder had a 6-1-0 record with a .943 save percentage and a 1.66 goals-against average at the NHL level. The Ducks have great organizational depth in the crease and Andersen's success, coupled with John Gibson's superb play in the minors, could make for some interesting decisions when it comes to Jonas Hiller or Viktor Fasth. Andersen was sent down because Fasth was ready to rejoin the big club from his conditioning loan.

Attribute some of that to the Bruce Boudreau effect, though ... when he was in Washington, they had a similar thing going with Varlamov, Neuvirth, and Holtby. Something about that guy gets the best out of every single guy in the organization.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
until playoffs start.

At least he gets there. And how much of that do you attribute to him? It's not like the Caps have gone on winning Cups without him. In fact, I think it's obvious that, as a whole, the Capitals are in far worse shape without him behind the bench.

Might want to think that comment over a little bit.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Teams are starting to make moves to improve themselves. We need to be looking at doing something as we've won 1 game in the last 9 and head out for 5 on the road. Dont really care about the OT points, those are points that may keep us out of the playoffs like last year. Lets see what youre made of Jarmo

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Teams are starting to make moves to improve themselves. We need to be looking at doing something as we've won 1 game in the last 9 and head out for 5 on the road. Dont really care about the OT points, those are points that may keep us out of the playoffs like last year. Lets see what youre made of Jarmo

OT points are not good for moving forward but they do help to stay in the hunt... Jarmo/JD will probably sit pat and wait for Horton.. The key at this point imo is the defense and Bob holding the fort until our forwards are full strength.. also 100% compete every night.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Waiting till mid Dec could create too big of a hole to crawl out of. But on HNIC they said that we had scouts at the Oilers last game and they may be interested in Nikitin. Maybe we can talk Niles into taking RJ as well

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Waiting till mid Dec could create too big of a hole to crawl out of. But on HNIC they said that we had scouts at the Oilers last game and they may be interested in Nikitin. Maybe we can talk Niles into taking RJ as well

Watching and heard that, I was sort of taken back.... One never knows with JD, he could say one thing and do the opposite...

BTW, HNIC had a nice piece on LaFontaine....

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Nikitin + for Eberle please

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Sam Gagner would be more likely ... I'd have a hard time thinking they would part with Eberle; he's part of the core.

The 'core' hasn't done anything but lose. I'd imagine they want to shake it up and ive read rumors of shopping one of their kids for help on D. But i'd be cool with Gagner as well I guess, would help our shootout problem.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
The 'core' hasn't done anything but lose. I'd imagine they want to shake it up and ive read rumors of shopping one of their kids for help on D. But i'd be cool with Gagner as well I guess, would help our shootout problem.

I would define their "core" as being Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, and Schultz. I would think those guys as untouchable. Anyone else seems to be fair game, from everything I'm hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad