Around Hockey XI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Have you ever seen the movie "Top Gun"? If so, think back to Maverick's first flight after the accident, with Sundown as his RIO. Maverick had a clear shot, but refused to take it, saying "It doesn't look good, it, uh, doesn't look good." When Sundown challenged him on the ground, Maverick flipped out and yelled "I'll fire when I'm ready!"

That was Rick Nash 20% of the time here. Others will argue that it was higher, but I'll stand at 20%. With the Rangers in the playoffs, it's more like 90%. It's like he can only handle certain situations on the ice, and if that situation doesn't present itself, he stands down. He won't create the situation, he waits for it to come to him. It's almost bizarre to see. He looks worse than he has since he was an 18-year-old rookie who was allowed to operate outside of a team structure.

I've seen Days of Thunder, where Cole has a hard time after the crash. Does the analogy equally apply? :D

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I've seen Days of Thunder, where Cole has a hard time after the crash. Does the analogy equally apply? :D

"Days of Thunder" and "Top Gun" are basically frame-for-frame remakes of the same movie. The only thing missing was a bunch of NASCAR drivers stripping down, oiling up, and playing beach volleyball while flexing at each other, followed by a nice group shower.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I guess that was replaced with the less homo-erotic scene of the rental car race between Cole and Rowdy.

(Thanks for explaining my joke, Mayor :sarcasm: )

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
"Days of Thunder" and "Top Gun" are basically frame-for-frame remakes of the same movie. The only thing missing was a bunch of NASCAR drivers stripping down, oiling up, and playing beach volleyball while flexing at each other, followed by a nice group shower.

:laugh:

OT: my favorite, Charlie: "What do you wanna do? Just drop down on the tile and go for it?" Maverick: "No, actually I had this counter in mind."... lol

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The Rangers are in this game tonight... well, if one ignores Rask tripping over his own skates letting in a soft goal... I've been watching Nash, pretty much the same play I watched for years as a Blue Jacket... many circles, not engaged and slow... He may pick it up in the third as he usually does... especially since this is a series ending game.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't get the Rask love. He's good, but two very soft goals against tonight.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I don't get the Rask love. He's good, but two very soft goals against tonight.

Hard to blame the second one on anyone other than Chara though. The first one was hard luck, just a simple catch of the skate.

Not a big fan of his personally, but can't feel right ripping him for those goals.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And Toews with 3 minors in 5 and a half minutes! Is it Zetterberg who has him off his game, as Roenick says?

I said this the other day -- Wings have interference as part of their system. It's crap but they're (as usual with DET) letting it go, and Chicago can't seem to figure it out. Hawks feel frustrated to me. Still close, though.

Nash with a pretty pass to Kreider for game-winner.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Wings have the Hawks seriously off their game.

Agree... The Red Wings look like a bona fide SC contender these days... hate as much as I do they deserve big time credit for their relentless play... The Hawks are playing as if the President Trophy was their only goal.. (pissed with Patrick Kane so far).

Congrats to the Rangers, gutsy win in OT..

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
And Toews with 3 minors in 5 and a half minutes! Is it Zetterberg who has him off his game, as Roenick says?

Towes is melting down, he is the focus of the Wings and he doesn't like it... he needs to settle down and play hockey. The thing that bothers me, if Towes is the Wing target what are the other Hawk players doing?

Winning the regular season does not mean you have earned anything other than a playoff spot.. The Wings under Babcock are one hell of a team to deal with right now.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I think the current Red Wings are better than the team we played but that said, we beat them by the use of relentless checking, speed, great goal tending and well timed goals... The Hawks are not forcing them at all, they are playing as if they should simply be given the wins...

If things don't change the Red Wings will be playing for the Western Conference title...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Rask looked like Mason on a bad day tonight on those 1st 2 goals. First one he falls down and the second one was primarily on Chara but Rask was out of the play, seemed to be very slow in getting back to the other side of the net.

And how about that kid Krug. He is going to be a great one if he continues on this track.

Rangers can't win 4 in a row? Can they?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Rask looked like Mason on a bad day tonight on those 1st 2 goals. First one he falls down and the second one was primarily on Chara but Rask was out of the play, seemed to be very slow in getting back to the other side of the net.

And how about that kid Krug. He is going to be a great one if he continues on this track.

Rangers can't win 4 in a row? Can they?

No........

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Well that does it for the Hawks... No way Detroit loses game six in Detroit if it goes that far...

So much for the President Trophy... never win that thing, it's poison.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I said this the other day -- Wings have interference as part of their system. It's crap but they're (as usual with DET) letting it go, and Chicago can't seem to figure it out. Hawks feel frustrated to me. Still close, though.

We've spent 20 years watching Detroit set picks in all zones, and I don't remember it actually being called at any time.

It's ridiculous.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
We've spent 20 years watching Detroit set picks in all zones, and I don't remember it actually being called at any time.

It's ridiculous.

I doubt officials let the Wings do things they don't allow other teams to do... I'm no official but if they are getting away with murder not even Matlock could prove it... In other words, whatever they are doing they are doing well.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino