Around Hockey XI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I sure hope so. But given that both teams are unbeatable at home right now, I'm not optimistic.

And how we're supposed to root for the Wings to aid the draft picks... does them winning help if LA also ends up in the final four? Wings and Rangers both had 56 points.

I can't root for the Wings anyway, but just curious.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
And how we're supposed to root for the Wings to aid the draft picks... does them winning help if LA also ends up in the final four? Wings and Rangers both had 56 points.

I can't root for the Wings anyway, but just curious.

Both teams also had 17 R/OT wins, which is the nest tiebreaker. After that is goal differential, where the Rangers hold the advantage. Ergo, a Red Wings loss in this series would result in them finishing behind the Rangers, and have a higher draft pick slot than the Rangers.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Have a link?

just twitter, basically said in exit interview that he quit trying here...i'll try to find more later on...

@AGrossRecord: Brassard says he learned self discipline with the Rangers. Said he had lost passion in Columbus.

"@KatieStrangESPN: #NYR Brassard said his passion and emotion was "gone" in Columbus, but that totally changed once traded"

@drosennhl: Brassard also said of change from Columbus to NY, "It's totally different just to play in front of a full house."

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
There was nhl.com article about this some time ago, when he started to play well with Rangers.. said that with all the losing with Jackets, it was hard to stay motivated etc.. well, can't really blame him. Good that both have moved on.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
my whole thing is that when Methot was traded Garrioch tried to get him to say negative things towards CBJ, he wouldn't, Nash really didn't once traded, Vermette, etc etc...he basically quit here with Hitch...now its finally coming out that he admits it...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
just twitter, basically said in exit interview that he quit trying here...i'll try to find more later on...

@AGrossRecord: Brassard says he learned self discipline with the Rangers. Said he had lost passion in Columbus.

"@KatieStrangESPN: #NYR Brassard said his passion and emotion was "gone" in Columbus, but that totally changed once traded"

@drosennhl: Brassard also said of change from Columbus to NY, "It's totally different just to play in front of a full house."

We all knew that!

Renion

Feb 14, 2004
When people say, "[Player] needs a change of scenery," what exactly do they think that means? Do they think he wants to see the ocean?

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Losing does that to people...theyre human, it gets old. And when you had a bumbling organization like the Jackets of 11 years+, its not surprising and I dont blame Brassard at all,l I blame management......I felt the same way as a fan about the franchise. They finally woke up and got experienced management in here and hopefully it will be different from here on out.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Losing does that to people...theyre human, it gets old. And when you had a bumbling organization like the Jackets of 11 years+, its not surprising and I dont blame Brassard at all,l I blame management......I felt the same way as a fan about the franchise. They finally woke up and got experienced management in here and hopefully it will be different from here on out.

Complete and utter garbage. Yeah, it's natural to feel frustration of losing. But to basically suggest that Brassard is somehow entitled to his crap play because of losing (the majority of which predated him even being drafted by Columbus)...I don't buy that. That's a massive cop-out.

What the hell did Derick Brassard ever do to change things? How often could you walk away from a game and say "Brassard looked engaged out there" or "Brassard played a strong game"? If I'm feeling especially generous, I'd say 50% of the time. The majority was him basically floating around, barely being bothered to backcheck and only occasionally showing any glimpse of his massive potential.

This is a guy who, coming out of junior, was compared (not just in playing style, but in ceiling) to Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic. And because he got traded, he finally felt like showing up to play on a regular basis. He couldn't do it more than half the time here, and again that's with me being generous, but somehow his three full seasons in Columbus entitled him to basically shut down for extended periods of time.

**** him. And **** everything about him. 309 games doesn't entitle him to a damn thing.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Sometimes its not what your team does for you, its about what you can do for your team. Brassard didn't do jack **** here, and other than put up 12 points in the 2 round defeat, hasn't done **** in New York (yet) and actually contributed to a team that did WORSE than a year before.. He was my favorite player, but now he's dead to me.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Complete and utter garbage. Yeah, it's natural to feel frustration of losing. But to basically suggest that Brassard is somehow entitled to his crap play because of losing (the majority of which predated him even being drafted by Columbus)...I don't buy that. That's a massive cop-out.

What the hell did Derick Brassard ever do to change things? How often could you walk away from a game and say "Brassard looked engaged out there" or "Brassard played a strong game"? If I'm feeling especially generous, I'd say 50% of the time. The majority was him basically floating around, barely being bothered to backcheck and only occasionally showing any glimpse of his massive potential.

This is a guy who, coming out of junior, was compared (not just in playing style, but in ceiling) to Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic. And because he got traded, he finally felt like showing up to play on a regular basis. He couldn't do it more than half the time here, and again that's with me being generous, but somehow his three full seasons in Columbus entitled him to basically shut down for extended periods of time.

**** him. And **** everything about him. 309 games doesn't entitle him to a damn thing.

Damn, man. That's harsh.

I agree.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
When people say, "[Player] needs a change of scenery," what exactly do they think that means? Do they think he wants to see the ocean?

Precisely. I'm surprised to see this sudden upsurge of emotion over Brass.

I'm no less frustrated that he did jack-**** for years for the Jackets, but why now that he owns up to it do the knives come out? Is it because many of us are just now learning that he is actually a very talented player who might still be a #1 Center?

Renion

Feb 14, 2004
While I agree we didn't see Brassard playing to his potential for most of his time in Columbus, I think the Jackets would still have zero playoff appearances if it wasn't for Brassard and his line coming strong out of the gate in 2008-09. It was the general consensus at the time that his line was the strongest, and he the strongest on it, for the first 20 games or so, while others were still trying to remember the season had started. His play dropped before he was injured, that being said. I'm certainly not saying he was the biggest reason the Jackets made the playoffs that season, as Nash decided to step up his game, but he did his part to make it happen.

I do think it's likely Brassard will remain the up-and-down player for the Rangers that he was for the Jackets. If so, that's just the player he is. Not everyone is a Sakic or Yzerman, despite what you hear every draft.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I do think it's likely Brassard will remain the up-and-down player for the Rangers that he was for the Jackets.

I think he'll be the #1B Center for the Rangers, right behind #1A Stepan. 60-70 points a season.
BTW, I can't remember, but has any Jackets center besides Cassells ever topped 60 points?

edit: Looked it up, and no Cassells is the only one.

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Precisely. I'm surprised to see this sudden upsurge of emotion over Brass.

I'm no less frustrated that he did jack-**** for years for the Jackets, but why now that he owns up to it do the knives come out? Is it because many of us are just now learning that he is actually a very talented player who might still be a #1 Center?

Of course we're emotional over Brassard. It's not like he ever displayed any emotion when he was here.

I think he'll be the #1B Center for the Rangers, right behind #1A Stepan. 60-70 points a season.
BTW, I can't remember, but has any Jackets center besides Cassells ever topped 60 points?

edit: Looked it up, and no Cassells is the only one.

Vermette had 65 points in 2009-10.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
All these quotes from Brassard, the Nash quote :)shakehead) that said he thought he played "good" in the playoffs (12 gms. 1 G, 4 A) and our favorite locker room hero Dorsett puting up a -5 with mostly 28 boneheaded PIMs in the playoffs. I still like Moore but he looked more like the CBJ Moore against the Bruins than the reincarnated Moore of the earlier NYRs.

Can Sather take a core of players from a perennial losing CBJ team and win a Stanley Cup?

Can't wait until next season when the Rangers are in our division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->