Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Prospal got a coaching gig in the Czech league? Hell yeah! I saw an inside special on him working with local Tampa kids and I absolutely loved how he went out of his way to be so encouraging and humble. When you're dealing with an area where hockey is still so new and the players you are coaching will eventually close the hockey chapter of their life unless they somehow land a pro gig; the best thing you can do is teach them to believe in themselves and see what you can win on the way. Where this elsewhere like Minnesota I'd have like to see a hard ass but really the greater point is he's smart enough to realize the difference and I love it.

I'm selfishly hoping he is very successful and can land an NHL coaching gig one day even if it was just as an assistant
I don't quite get you. Mentally, age groups should be pretty similar. In Florida, either you move at like 15 to play with/against more skilled players, or you probably max out at ACHA hockey.

Minnesota isn't too different. Unique to that state, high school hockey is a big deal, so you (probably) don't need to move away, but everyone still hits a ceiling.

The vast, vast, majority never play professionally, and a ton who do reach the minor leagues are out by 30. The Solar Bears lost the team's top defenseman as well as their top scorer (ages 25 & 27) to retirement (or possible retirement, the d-man is considering his options).

I would agree that being a good representative for the sport is vitally important for these types of markets. These guys could be the first or only hockey players some locals may ever meet in their lives, and they can form their opinion about the sport based on them.

It's big, old market thinking about it not mattering if players with bad character are in small or new markets, because no one will pay attention. We need good character the most.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I would agree that being a good representative for the sport is vitally important for these types of markets. These guys could be the first or only hockey players some locals may ever meet in their lives, and they can form their opinion about the sport based on them.

In the same vein this is pretty much how I meant it. Most players will never pick up a stick again but for example, mentally and physically we can say the players for the University of North Dakota and the University of Florida are somewhat comparable but a coach's approach to either program will be completely different. The Fightning Sioux can't have a coach who is there to teach and have fun ya know? But I saw Prospal taking at approach and taking great pride in it and it makes me happy to see such a great ambassador. I guess what I'm really trying to say is I saw a nice guy and loved what I saw and I hope he knows how to be a hard ass when he needs to.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-18_21-51-32.png
    upload_2020-12-18_21-51-32.png
    469.7 KB · Views: 3

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Thank goodness we have hockey. I don't know what JBB is going to do.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
It is just so much fun to visit the main boards when something happens to tick off the bRUINs fans....they are so bent tonight, it's actually fun.:popcorn:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I like there are forms at the end of the COVID training for everyone to pass around to get signed.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Sorry for the redundancy (ticket sales thread) but...

Per TSN

Six Stars players test positive, NHL revising schedule

Six Dallas Stars players and two staff members have recently confirmed positive tests for COVID-19, the NHL announced Friday.
The league said it is in the process of reviewing and revising the Stars’ regular season schedule with the expectation that the team will not open its 2020-21 season earlier than Tuesday, January 19.

The Stars cancelled practice earlier on Friday, but did not comment on why the team's practice was cancelled.
The Stars are currently scheduled to begin their season next week, facing the Panthers in back-to-back games in Florida starting Thursday.

Forgot to add Columbus cancelled their practice and looks to be in the same boat as Dallas.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Has this new COVID mutation (more contagious) that was found first in the UK found its way on NA soil already too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad