Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What is Jack talking about? It's pretty well understood that, in the United States, the first round regional rights remain with the regional network*, and everything only goes national from the second round onward (in Canada, it's all national immediately). There's no disinformation there, because I'm pretty sure Sun Sports isn't listed either, in our case.

*with the exception of games broadcast on NBC itself.
That's inside baseball. There are millions of casual fans who would justifiably look at the official NHL website for their team's game info and not see it's on NESN, Sun, or wherever.

Though when the time comes and it's presumably blacked out for the local markets, I'm not sure how their master plan comes together exactly.

I don't have any reason to think it's a conspiracy. I could give a flimsy reason why they would announce it this way, but Occam's razor would just suggest a blunder, rather than malice.

I'm also not in the NHL broadcasting business where you might hear things though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
What is Jack talking about? It's pretty well understood that, in the United States, the first round regional rights remain with the regional network*, and everything only goes national from the second round onward (in Canada, it's all national immediately). There's no disinformation there, because I'm pretty sure Sun Sports isn't listed either, in our case.

*with the exception of games broadcast on NBC itself.

Shhhh. You'll confuse Ruins fans with facts. And that Gawd awful announcer.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I figured everything out. They're redirecting hockey viewers to get reruns of Suits such high ratings that Meghan Markle has to return to the program. That would give them even more bonkers ratings. Follow the $$$.

They should at least put Psych on.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

trUE THrEE tierEd SysTem

on the flip side though, Arizona-Tuscon-Norfolk

Tucson might make it (they're 5th in their division with some games in hand), but the other two aren't playoff teams.

The Norfolk Admirals are coached by Robbie Ftorek and Peter Sidorkiewicz, btw. They get the games called in their favor, but they still don't win.

Last edited:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Uh oh don’t let @T REX see this ;)

We are married to Cooper...cup or no cup. I would've waited but that wouldn't have helped anyhow. It is what it is at this point. Hopefully, Cooper will turn it around and that awful 2-6 in game 1 home games. That's on Coop and staff not the players. Can't keep going down 0-1 in every series. HOPEFULLY, things are different this year.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
How easily do you get arrested for that over there? Didn't he do some work with the police when he was still in Tampa or am I imagining things?
I've seen a lot of intoxicated people in public, but the police don't really do anything unless someone calls them and complains about them. I would imagine they don't arrest you until you start doing some real wild stuff. Not sure if he worked with the police in Tampa or not, but he did want to raise awareness around police brutality

Reactions: JoVel

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Fans are talking about the NHL changing its playoff format. Why would they do this when brackets are such a big deal?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
So who are you guys cheering for in the lottery? Avs or Oilers would be hilarious for the memes. Other than that, ehhh not really any sympathetic teams down there.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Did Chicago just win the lottery?

edit: Whew. They did not. A huge move to 3rd, so one of the night's winners but the #1 pick would be bananas.

Last edited:

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Reading the other team boards on this is just pure gold.

(that and the 520 error messages)

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
After watching that, I'm glad we're not participating in it. HOPEFULLY for several years to come (unless we get a stupid trade offer).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I completely understand the NHL not wanting to give their resources to an outside organization. Where I think the NHL would run into a PR problem is with player salaries. I think that a lot of fans of the women's game will be disappointed how little the players are still making compared to the men and blame the NHL, not the fact that women's hockey as a spectator sport is still in its infancy.

I think the general attitude, especially on the internet, is a bit different from the '90s when the WNBA formed. Women's college basketball was also a lot further along in popularity than women's college hockey, or wherever they come from in Canada. (the fact that I'm only guessing USports is an issue here when Canada is the biggest hockey consuming country on Earth)

edit:
I looked up very nearly all the EP profiles of the women of Team Canada. Basically, they played in the NCAA.

Last edited:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Quick scouting report on the draft-eligible bandwagoners? It's not quite the pool it has been since Carolina made the playoffs this year, but there's still a couple solid Rangers in there and for what seems like the first time in a long time there's at least 1 Duck in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad