Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Buffalo gets outdoor games because they can draw from Southern Ontario (and local tv ratings), no?

I felt like the best chance the Lightning had to get picked was when the Caps hosted. NBC would probably feel way more secure from their perspective with that, and I don't think the Caps would necessarily overwhelm a TB or FLA fanbase.
I think Sabres are a fairly strong local market + young stars + divisional "rivalry". They would probably be the weakest of the above options.

I also wonder how much a Montreal/Toronto game would draw in the US - I'm guessing NBC wants those US rankings. With Toronto you at least have star power, but Montreal just doesn't have any gamebreakers.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why don't we just take Tampa and put it in Chicago???

Put-It-Somewhere-Else-Patrick.jpg

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah but Toronto was kind of **** that year weren't they?
I don't really think that team quality has as much to do with it as we'd like to think. It seems way more important to casual fans that it's a big, old, US market. TB isn't a road draw, still. Detroit is. Boston was bad for a bit and they could draw on the road. Colorado is getting a game and they're in a rebuild.

TV ratings vs selling the building out are separate issues, but you can't get NBC on board without convincing them on getting the ratings.

Last edited:

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
They still can't fly so no worries.

I'm more annoyed at seeing a raptor just above it in the standings thanks to the last playoff. They destroyed our cornfield

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

sorry, kids

It's perhaps a simplistic view, but if you consider what the mascot would do, things are pretty clear. Gritty or Thunderbug or what-have-you would not condition a defibrillator donation on an OT win.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-zuccarello-leaving-broadway-1.1237320

Rangers all in on selling. I think he goes west I doubt they give him to any team on the east. I believe they get a first or second round pick from us if we win the cup.

I wouldnt put it past the Rangers somehow either trying to get that 1st from us or to help our chances to give them a first ;) They are kind of invested in us. But they also have a team to run and really could give 2 shits about what we do. Especially if they get what they want from another team in a trade. Will be a team to watch for with us as we have been connected a number of recent times.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Was hoping Karlsson would suck this year so passing on him would look better but damn, the guys on an insane tear right now and Tampa is still probably one of his preferred destinations.

22 points in his last 13

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Was hoping Karlsson would suck this year so passing on him would look better but damn, the guys on an insane tear right now and Tampa is still probably one of his preferred destinations.

22 points in his last 13
I was hoping that the Sharks would blow and thus be willing to give us a rental for this year.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Deangelo went after Pacioretty on his way to the penalty box after boarding Karlsson and got a 10 minute disconduct. He definitely still has some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad