Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If it was Tampa we might finally get that 3rd Jersey.

But My guess is Nashville.
As I think about it, it may be too regional for a Winter Classic.

This is the first test of the NHL acknowledging new-traditional markets as WC sites (maybe DC in 2015, but that was safe with a Hawks matchup), so they may not want to go all in. I don't see Minnesota as a national draw though because they've never made them one.

LA? Sort of splits the difference, although they're stinky right now.

It'll be interesting to see.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's Karma for what a POS their owner Katz is. I was furious beyond comprehension that they landed a generational talent to bail him out after all the BS that man has put the city through. Things are simply leveling out on him and it won't change until he sells the team

Yeah, the problems in Edmonton are deeper than Chiarelli. They existed before him and they're likely to exist after him. Every GM is terrible, every coach is terrible... At some point you have to think the problem lies somewhere else.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah, the problems in Edmonton are deeper than Chiarelli. They existed before him and they're likely to exist after him. Every GM is terrible, every coach is terrible... At some point you have to think the problem lies somewhere else.

Spot on. McDavid deserves better. If I ever met the guy I would be staving off the urge to apologize for his situation

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bettman said on NHLN's WC pre-game show that they're going to the Cotton Bowl for Dallas 2020. No opponent yet.

It just really occurred to me that Minnesota doesn't make much sense for an opponent anyway for @ Dallas. Other than being the replacement team for the market they had their team move from, it's not about Dallas. It's about Minnesota.

Dallas at Minnesota makes more sense, but I'd think they'd rather invite the Wings or Hawks in that case.

LA, Nashville, and unfortunately Chicago seems like the 'natural' rivalry picks. There's some heat historically between ANA/DAL, but unless Anaheim is on top of the league, they'll never get a game over the Kings.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Weezer not playing Africa for NBC.

Good. We need to save it for Toto in Tampa 2022.

The Blackhawks are being relocated and then getting an outdoor game, I guess.

There is the Blackhawks/Black Hawks controversy, so we'll need double clarification.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They've announced the lineup of outdoor games for next season. There will be a Heritage Classic in Regina between the Flames and Jets, but also a Stadium Series game at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs with the Avs as the host.

Vegas could fit into that Air Force slot, but fans will rightly cause a huff that the newest team gets a game so soon where AZ, TB, FLA, CAR, CBJ, & NSH have all had to wait.

Falcon Stadium only seats 46k though, so I'm thinking AZ gets that one. They can fill the building between all the Avs, AF, and Yotes fans I believe.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Honestly I don't even know if I'd buy a ticket. There's no way you can see shit from the stands.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
it'd be sort of nice if NHLN replayed the Russia-Canada WJC game from last night instead of 4 hours of Winter Classic post game. Didn't know this was the NFL.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Honestly I don't even know if I'd buy a ticket. There's no way you can see **** from the stands.

If I am an outdoor game and the temp is below 35 degrees, I'll be so blind numb from drinking antifreeze, I'll just cheer when the Bolts score and pray for volcanoes. Otherwise, give me the Ice Palace, er, Amalie any day or night.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If I am an outdoor game and the temp is below 35 degrees, I'll be so blind numb from drinking antifreeze, I'll just cheer when the Bolts score and pray for volcanoes. Otherwise, give me the Ice Palace, er, Amalie any day or night.

Was at the Winter Classic last year. It’s friggin freezing but worth it to experience going. But when that wind starts whipping, damn. Citi-field has no protection because of the bay. So it was pretty bad.

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Was at the Winter Classic last year. It’s friggin freezing but worth it to experience going. But when that wind starts whipping, damn. Citi-field has no protection because of the bay. So it was pretty bad.

Give me my $15 beers and Amalie any day.:D

Reactions: Raphael87

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
You guys see this?

8375A295-1804-4606-9CF3-81CCAA7F439A.jpeg

Would be really cool IMO. My guess would be either Hard Rock, Tampa or Orlando. I doubt they would do it in Marlins Park, since it seats around 30k.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You guys see this?

View attachment 171039

Would be really cool IMO. My guess would be either Hard Rock, Tampa or Orlando. I doubt they would do it in Marlins Park, since it seats around 30k.
If they wouldn't do it in Marlins Park, they wouldn't do it in Orlando. Camping World Stadium (the Citrus Bowl) seats an ambitious 60k and Orlando City Stadium seats 25k.

Spectrum Stadium seats 44k but that's at UCF and looks too inconvenient to me. Their stadium doesn't look like it's built to allow for the ingress/egress of 44k drivers (at least downtown there are some feigned attempts at public transit). The biomass of Knights patrons probably lives on campus, and that's not the NHL's target audience.

edit: I'll add that when UCF lost a few days ago, the local tv news station I saw had the same tone as when a beloved public figure dies.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Raymond James only works if there's no Bowl Game. We could pack it out no problem but NCAA > NHL despite the fact that Tampa will jump for the exposure. The NHL has some work to do in order to get the venue. It'll have to be a day or two sooner or later of whatever bowl game and likely a night time game

But otherwise go with Marlins Park. Citrus Bowl and other venues are not gonna get any Panther fans there because support is fragile enough as it is in the Miami area. As for asking Lightning fans to pack those big ass stadiums outside Tampa is probably not likely considering we are not a traveling fanbase. But the size of Marlins Park could make it happen

Last edited:

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
You guys see this?

View attachment 171039

The benefit of Marlins Park is the controlled climate. I’m not sure how cold the air conditioning gets there but at least it would control the situation if it was a warm day.

That being said, I love Hard Rock Stadium post-renovation. That would be a great venue. They would have to work around the Orange Bowl scheduling though, but I’m sure that wouldn’t be a problem.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm not too concerned about venue size.

The NHL has held outdoor games at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium (30k), TD Place Stadium (33k), Investors Group Field (33k), Fenway is only 38k and people think that was the best one.

And note that there's no way it's a Panthers-Lightning Winter Classic. Not gonna happen, so it wouldn't be tied to Jan 1. Who a Florida team would even play with a traveling fan base that wouldn't get Quebec City heckles is another matter.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm not too concerned about venue size.

The NHL has held outdoor games at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium (30k), TD Place Stadium (33k), Investors Group Field (33k), Fenway is only 38k and people think that was the best one.

And note that there's no way it's a Panthers-Lightning Winter Classic. Not gonna happen, so it wouldn't be tied to Jan 1. Who a Florida team would even play with a traveling fan base that wouldn't get Quebec City heckles is another matter.
I agree with your last point. Any outdoor game is probably going to feature an O6/Pens/Sabres/Flyers team. I wouldn't be shocked if it's either Toronto or Montreal.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I agree with your last point. Any outdoor game is probably going to feature an O6/Pens/Sabres/Flyers team. I wouldn't be shocked if it's either Toronto or Montreal.
Buffalo gets outdoor games because they can draw from Southern Ontario (and local tv ratings), no?

I felt like the best chance the Lightning had to get picked was when the Caps hosted. NBC would probably feel way more secure from their perspective with that, and I don't think the Caps would necessarily overwhelm a TB or FLA fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad