Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The ECHL All-Star Game is about to start on NHLN. The Solar Bears don't have a representative sent this year (Brent Pedersen is in the AHL), but it's there.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
I absolutely think Katz is part of the problem. I look back at the OK hockey ownership and think we could be in a similar situation right now had they stuck around. Vinik saved us from that fate.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ownership is always important to a team's success. I got the feeling that they really let Chia run the show, though.

I mean - look, you want a GM to have a consistent vision when building his team. And Chia *did* have that. He brought in "big bodies" to play "West Coast hockey", with crease clearing Dmen. The problem is the league was already moving away from that, and after the slashing crackdown it moved away even faster. On top of that, the players Chia brought in to fit that vision just weren't that good. And the headshot - the team's (and league's) best player? He's not built that way. You have a Ferrari with a bunch of F150s out there.

And the thing is... with the contracts they have on the books... the new GM has a tough f***ing job ahead of him. They're a cap team, and some of those contracts are really f***ing long. On top of it, McDavid and Draisatl make 20+ million between them - you're eating a quarter of the cap with two players. With zero bad contracts that's tough to build a deep team around, and they have more than zero.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think it's an interesting decision to replace the GM. I think ownership & C-level, president, etc. should let the GM manage the team, but it takes a certain level of knowledge to know when it's actually time to cut them off. When the fans reach fever pitch there's already a mandate, and an 'out' if you will, but it probably shouldn't have to come to that.

No confidence voting systems with a very high threshold are interesting to me here as the GM's subordinates are probably more qualified to assess things than ownership/c-level. They shouldn't be able to elevate anyone, however, so coups are harder.

As for the Oil, if they drafted well, things would probably be going a lot better for them. They'd still be hindered by bad decision making at the top, but they'd have a pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad