Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I will believe that only when I see it. I think we're basically looking at Tinordi-Carrier-Weber as our #5-6-7D.

I believe there'll be guys like Bogosian, Kulikov, Hamonic who'll be taking pay cuts this offseason and come cheaper. Kind of like the Emelin, Volchenkov, Carle signing we've done in the past.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I don't really see any "BIG" moves from GMDP but I do see some house cleaning. Granlund is gone. What happens with Smith and Blackwell? I have not been much of a fan of Jarnkrok, should we try and move him? We know we would like to move on from Turris but can we?

Holzer, Hamhuis (retired) are gone. Players like Weber should be let go for our own young players to come in. I don't know what we do with our D men but I am not sold on Fabbro as a 2nd liner. Do we keep Tinordi as a 3rd liner? I would give Santini, Davies, Fortunato, Carrier, Allard and Harpur a shot at a spot or two. At some point one of these young men needs to step up or move on.

So many questions...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm going to disagree on Fabbro. That's what I think our defensemen should look like. He's focused on defense and not as much on carrying the puck. IMHO, he looks to move the puck up as soon as he can.
I just don't think he's very GOOD at being focused on defense. It's a reasonable way for a rookie to start out in the NHL, though. But he's also not particularly good at it. Yet. I'm not intending that to be overly judgemental. Just if that was going to be his ceiling, he'd basically be a 3rd pairing guy for life. Whereas I would imagine instead he'll gradually start to carry the puck more and know when to take some chances as he gains experience, and hopefully it's going to be those other attributes that are ultimately going to be his best traits.

So far, I'd say he's either right on track, or possibly even ahead of track developmentally. So that's all good. But it doesn't mean we couldn't actually have a better team if we were able to sign a couple of additional solid D as UFAs. I like the "bargain" ideas of Soucy, Hamonic, and Bogosian, if we're looking that route. I'm just afraid we won't even be looking.

Reactions: Scoresberg

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I just don't think he's very GOOD at being focused on defense. It's a reasonable way for a rookie to start out in the NHL, though. But he's also not particularly good at it. Yet. I'm not intending that to be overly judgemental. Just if that was going to be his ceiling, he'd basically be a 3rd pairing guy for life. Whereas I would imagine instead he'll gradually start to carry the puck more and know when to take some chances as he gains experience, and hopefully it's going to be those other attributes that are ultimately going to be his best traits.

So far, I'd say he's either right on track, or possibly even ahead of track developmentally. So that's all good. But it doesn't mean we couldn't actually have a better team if we were able to sign a couple of additional solid D as UFAs. I like the "bargain" ideas of Soucy, Hamonic, and Bogosian, if we're looking that route. I'm just afraid we won't even be looking.
I'd say last year, his partner was far worse at reading the play and playing positional defense.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ekholm had a number of times where he did not drop into coverage in time and creating odd man breaks. I mentioned it often in the recaps.
Every defenseman does that "a number of times" ... was Ekholm worse positionally and defensively than Fabbro last season, overall?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Part of me thinks the Bruins are gonna blow it up, and the Wild are midprocess, same with Yotes. I have been wrong before, but I think the Preds are fine economically.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Agree with the rest. Bonino is a player that could be had, but no one would pay the price. As long as he has another solid year I still think a 1st will be the ask at the deadline.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I have the feeling that we're going to make some underwhelming moves, but that probably means we're going to trade for Gaudreau or something.

I just have a sneaking feeling of Johansen and a pick to MN for Dumba, then sign Hall. Unless the Preds have a deep cut for an internal cap...

Which research makes me think maybe not.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I just have a sneaking feeling of Johansen and a pick to MN for Dumba, then sign Hall. Unless the Preds have a deep cut for an internal cap...

Which research makes me think maybe not.
I don't see him doing anything that crazy. He's already handed Minnesota Fiala, I seriously doubt he would turn around and hand them Joey for another Dman.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't see him doing anything that crazy. He's already handed Minnesota Fiala, I seriously doubt he would turn around and hand them Joey for another Dman.
Among other things, this also exposes one of Fabbro, Ellis, or Ekholm in the ED. If we acquired Dumba though, might as well trade Fabbro though because he'll hit the same development hurdle Jones was running into.

I also think Guerin is tanking, so doubt he's that interested in actually upgrading an area of weakness.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Among other things, this also exposes one of Fabbro, Ellis, or Ekholm in the ED. If we acquired Dumba though, might as well trade Fabbro though because he'll hit the same development hurdle Jones was running into.

I also think Guerin is tanking, so doubt he's that interested in actually upgrading an area of weakness.

Or, Polie trades Ellis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad