Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: There are no bad proposals, only bad players

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I will do something that I think is more realistic and TBH, I don't really like it as I'd like to see more changes.

PRE-EXPANSION
Trade 1st round pick (16th OA) and the rights to Chad Johnson to the Arizona Coyotes for Mike Smith, 1st round pick (23rd OA, originally Minnesota's pick) and 3rd round pick (69th OA, originally Detroit's pick)

EXPANSION DRAFT
Vegas Golden Knights select Hunter Shinkaruk

ENTRY DRAFT
Use picks 23, 69, 109, 140, 171 and 202 to draft prospects

RE-SIGNINGS/PROSPECT SIGNINGS
Sam Bennett - 3 years/$3,000,000
Alex Chiasson - 1 year/$1,000,000
Garnet Hathaway - 1 year/$650,000
Brett Kulak - 1 year/$700,000
Curtis Lazar - 2 years/$1,000,000
Michael Stone - 3 years/$3,750,000
Tyler Wotherspoon - 1 year/$700,000

FREE AGENCY
Darcy Kuemper - 1 year/$1,650,000
Kris Russell - 2 years/$3,000,000

LINE-UPS
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Frolik - Backlund - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Bennett - Lazar/Chiasson
Bouma - Stajan - Lazar/Chiasson
x: Hamilton, Hathaway

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Russell - Andersson
x: Wothersponn/Kulak

Smith
Kuemper

Smith/Kuemper would be a disaster of a goalie pairing, in my opinion.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Vegas selects Stajan

Flames:

Tyler Myers

Jets:

Kylington
2017 1st

Flames:

Brayden Schenn

Flyers:

Tyler Myers
Shinkaruk

Flames:

Fleury
Maatta
Sprong

Penguins:

Giordano
Brouwer

2018 starting line up:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Sprong
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Schenn
Ferland-Lazar-Chiasson

Brodie-Hamilton
Maatta-Andersson
Kulak-Stone

Fleury/Gillies

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Smith/Kuemper would be a disaster of a goalie pairing, in my opinion.
I know you do, It's not my first choice, but I just don't see us willing to move assets needed to acquire anyone good and I think the fans have run Elliott out of town and even if we offer him a contract he will reject it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I know you do, It's not my first choice, but I just don't see us willing to move assets needed to acquire anyone good and I think the fans have run Elliott out of town and even if we offer him a contract he will reject it.

I hope it's something like option #7. :( I think I prefer Johnson/Elliott to that tandem...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope it's something like option #7. :( I think I prefer Johnson/Elliott to that tandem...
I have Smith as a starter option behind Elliott, Fleury and Grubauer. I don't think he is as bad as others make him out to be though, I believe he's been better than his numbers show due to the awful team in front of him. As for Kuemper, again he's a an option a few spots down but I think they will go for a "younger" guy (28 and under) for one of the spots and he is both a UFA and fits in that range.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have Smith as a starter option behind Elliott, Fleury and Grubauer. I don't think he is as bad as others make him out to be though, I believe he's been better than his numbers show due to the awful team in front of him. As for Kuemper, again he's a an option a few spots down but I think they will go for a "younger" guy (28 and under) for one of the spots and he is both a UFA and fits in that range.

His numbers this year aren't far off from his career averages though. He has one remarkable year in 11/12, and has been very average to poor every other year.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Well, sure. But that tandem is just perpetuating goalie carousel. I personally think we should bring back 1 of Johnson/Elliott to slow that carousel. I really want a long term option. (3+ years)

EDIT: I am also of the opinion that some of the failures of the current tandem was due to the team + goalies in a new system/learning each others tendencies etc.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
His numbers this year aren't far off from his career averages though. He has one remarkable year in 11/12, and has been very average to poor every other year.
It's really hard to say with how bad the Coyotes are though, if we go that route I won't complain too much, but mostly because I have faith that Treliving has a better read on Smith that any of us.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, sure. But that tandem is just perpetuating goalie carousel. I personally think we should bring back 1 of Johnson/Elliott to slow that carousel. I really want a long term option. (3+ years)

EDIT: I am also of the opinion that some of the failures of the current tandem was due to the team + goalies in a new system/learning each others tendencies etc.

I don't disagree with any of this. My first choice would be an Elliott/Grubauer tandem with Elliott signing for 2 years and Grubauer for 4

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think one of Grubauer or Raanta could be had without breaking the bank. I prefer the former, but Raanta is probably the more feasible option.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yep. Even with a largely underperforming core for the majority of the year, this was still a team that had a shot at the division.

I don't think people get this about the Flames. The team was in the division mix up until the last month of the season with some serious down seasons. Look at what happened when the goaltending was good and the elite players on the team played to that level. This team is easily good enough to be a division contender, even without adding anything, just with some bounceback years. The biggest "deal" that could be made would be Bennett making the jump that a lot of us think he can and hope he will. That would be a major trade all on its own and would cost nothing.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't think people get this about the Flames. The team was in the division mix up until the last month of the season with some serious down seasons. Look at what happened when the goaltending was good and the elite players on the team played to that level. This team is easily good enough to be a division contender, even without adding anything, just with some bounceback years. The biggest "deal" that could be made would be Bennett making the jump that a lot of us think he can and hope he will. That would be a major trade all on its own and would cost nothing.

Are you suggesting we trade 21-year-old Sam Bennett for 22-year-old Sam Bennett?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So we're trading 20-year-old Sam Bennett for 22-year-old Sam Bennett? Talk about a steal

You know it's actually possible to time travel into the future? The record is 20 milliseconds haha. You want prime Iggy or Kipper? Sorry tough luck buddy time travel to the past is impossible, but you want 22 year old Bennett that matches his draft pedigree? It's technically POSSIBLE ;), but even the most advanced alien species in the multiverse won't have that technology haha, and rightfully so, since advanced species value peace and safety and don't want it in wrong hands.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You it's actually possible to time travel into the future? The record is 20 milliseconds haha. You want prime Iggy or Kipper? Sorry tough luck buddy time travel to the past is impossible, but you want 22 year old Bennett that matches his draft pedigree? It's technically POSSIBLE ;), but even the most advanced alien species in the multiverse won't have that technology haha, and rightfully so, since advanced species value peace and safety and don't want it in wrong hands.

Elias Lindholm is 22. Coincidence?

xfiles.mp3

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Exactly. Next year, there's no new system to figure out, no contract disputes with the best offensive player, no Grossmann, no Wideman, hopefully no injuries to core players...there's lots of reason for optimism. The pessimism surrounding the core is bizarre and wholly unwarranted. An average goalie, re-signing Stone and some better depth and there's no reason for this team to not compete for the division.

Outside of Vegas not taking Brouwer, this is easily the best one yet.

The only time I have problems with "same lineup" are goaltender relational. If we fix between the pipes were a good team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad