Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: There are no bad proposals, only bad players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Proposal to kick things off in this thread.

B. Schenn for S. Bennett.

Sadly I already know what will be said. :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I wouldn't be entirely against it, but I'm iffy due to cap hit, Schenn's reliance on power play to produce, LHS, and all. Bennett for Lindholm or Zibanejad is the type of trade that if we lose, it's no biggy, but Bennett for Schenn is the type of trade that if we lose we'll become a laughing stock.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I wouldn't be entirely against it, but I'm iffy due to cap hit, Schenn's reliance on power play to produce, LHS, and all. Bennett for Lindholm or Zibanejad is the type of trade that if we lose, it's no biggy, but Bennett for Schenn is the type of trade that if we lose we'll become a laughing stock.

I wouldn't trade Bennett for Schenn because contracts, but I would take Schenn way before Zibanejad.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I always like Schenn when I watch him play. But he just doesn't seem to produce very much at even strength at all, despite being given the garden seat on the top line in Philly often over the years.

I would say Schenn isn't a dime-a-dozen player. But I don't think he's worth closing the book on Bennett for. I think they're close to being equal right now, and Bennett has many years to improve.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Sam Bennett took 811 faceoffs last season.
Brayden Schenn took a career high 685 faceoffs at age 22 before being moved to left wing.

Brayden Schenn is a winger.
Sam Bennett is a center.

that is the difference.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We should see what Jordan Leopold is up to next year :laugh:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Yeah. Bennett's obviously peaked @ 20. Those five years of development Schenn has on him mean nothing. Lol.

Development is not linear. Plenty of players have peaked at an early age.

I'm not suggesting Bennett has or will, but it's one of the most distinctly misinformed arguments people use time after time.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Development is not linear. Plenty of players have peaked at an early age.

I'm not suggesting Bennett has or will, but it's one of the most distinctly misinformed arguments people use time after time.

Bennett's game is suited to size. He can't be tenacious when he can get pushed over with a gust of wind (exaggerating). Once he puts on mass, he is going to be an absolute destroyer out there. He needs to call up Gary Roberts and go train with him. Just need to be patient. Maybe Jankowski can teach him a thing or two about the gym.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Bennett's game is suited to size. He can't be tenacious when he can get pushed over with a gust of wind (exaggerating). Once he puts on mass, he is going to be an absolute destroyer out there. He needs to call up Gary Roberts and go train with him. Just need to be patient. Maybe Jankowski can teach him a thing or two about the gym.

Tkachuk trains with Roberts, doesn't he? Or is Roberts just a family friend?

Razzdazzle1

Apr 25, 2017

No deal. Bennett will be just as good as Schenn by the time he's Schenn's age. Why would we do this?

If we're giving up on Bennett for not producing like Draisaitl, let's at least get a RW.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No deal. Bennett will be just as good as Schenn by the time he's Schenn's age. Why would we do this?

If we're giving up on Bennett for not producing like Draisaitl, let's at least get a RW.
1. Bennett MIGHT be as good as Scheen when he is 25. A deal liek this would skip years of development with the upside being sooner.
2. Trading Bennett for a proven 25+ goal and 55+ point player is not "giving up on him"
3. Schenn can play all 3 forward positions and is best at RW
4. Who said anything about Draisaitl? He doesn't even factor into anything regarding Bennett.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
According to Dreger the Flames are in on 26 year old Czech defenseman Jan Rutta. Looking at his stats he appears to be more offensive minded, but he is also 6'3", 200lbs

Razzdazzle1

Apr 25, 2017
1. Bennett MIGHT be as good as Scheen when he is 25. A deal liek this would skip years of development with the upside being sooner.
2. Trading Bennett for a proven 25+ goal and 55+ point player is not "giving up on him"
4. Who said anything about Draisaitl? He doesn't even factor into anything regarding Bennett.

I mentioned Draisaitl since he's same draft year and one of the only other players in that draft already playing in the nhl. If he attained Draisaitl points this year I doubt you make this proposal... but since he didn't then he obviously needs to be traded.

I'm quite positive if Bennett played #1 PP with Giroux, Voracek, etc. And 2nd line with Couturier he'd be much closer to 25+goals and 55+ points.

Why do we need to speed up development? The flames are in a great position right now. They need 3 key pieces to be a dominant force (#1 RW, #4 D, and #1 G).

Trading Bennett for Schenn is lateral at best.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

To pee all over your thoughts and others here are mine:

Gaudreau- Monahan- Ferland
Tkachuk- Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Lazar
Bouma - Stajan- Chaisson

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Andersson
Kulak- Tspoon

Elliott - Gillies

Buy out Brouwer if a trade can not be found.

The first two lines would have continuity which will help with the continued growth on Ferland, Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk

Janko is the best natural center behind Monahan and Backlund. Lazar and Bennett have tons of speed mixed with grit to dominate play in the offensive zone.

I agree with MM in the regard that Bennett is not great as a center but the Flames haven't truly explored his options on left wing. By play styles and skill levels Lazar, Janko and Bennett could dominate opposing teams and may be the perfect Duck killers. Big enough to force Anaheim to match Kesler or Getzlaf's lines and fast and skilled enough to dominate play even when pitted against the best.

On defense Andersson had one heck of a year in Stockton and in my eyes was the best and most complete d-man. There is a strong likelihood that Brodie and Rasmus could forge great chemistry.

The third pairing is the most questionable but Nashville, Pitt, Anaheim, and Ottawa show the value of getting these younger D-men into the line-up underneath great coaches. Worst case scenario is you need to make a move or two for a 5/6 d-man at the trade deadline.

Don't discount the value of having all the players in training camp playing under a familiar coach and system. Short of signing a starting goalie Calgary has all the pieces it needs to win the Pacific next year.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Flames and Oilers both chasing Nakladal 2.0 Jakub Rutta.

Let the overhyping commence.

Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger

Flames are tight lipped, but I'm hearing Calgary is also in on offensive dman Jan Rutta.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If Nakladal 2.0 wants to spend the majority of his time in the AHL. he'll sign here. If he wants to be in the NHL, he'll sign elsewhere.

Grubauer increasing his stock in a big way with a huge game against Canada. Hopefully it makes him some fans in Calgary's front office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad