Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: There are no bad proposals, only bad players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Bennett for Stone could be interesting. I wouldn't be willing to add the Flames 1st as well though.

Even if Bennett reaches his ceiling, and the 1st happens to be Pettersson, Stone fits an extreme need and will be far better defensively than both players combined. He also opens up space for Monahan and Gaudreau. So even in the worst case scenario for us, it's still not a bad trade, and the worst case scenario is extremely unlikely.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Location on the ice absolutely makes a shot more dangerous. All other factors being constant, a shot from 8 feet is harder to stop than the same shot from 20. Also, if location on the ice didn't make a shot more dangerous, we wouldn't see a clear statistical increase in goals scored on shots taken from the "high danger" area of the ice.

Statistics aren't interested in shot A vs shot B (which is what you're talking about), because those are individual data points. Statistics are there to give us overall trends.

Location of shots do determine danger I agree, but how much danger is skewed. Individual high danger area shots can be far safer and easier than certain individual low danger area shots.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Every time someone brings up Bennett's name I have to question whether they actually watch the Flames or know anything about them.

Bennett is the last player the Flames would trade away. Management has been on record as saying they think he has a higher potential than Gaudreau, which I believe he does as well.

Like do people not realize he turns 21 this month. I can understand the main boards hating on him, because its mostly Oiler and Canuck fans who bash him, but it's just idiocy watching Flames fans on this board complain about him and want to trade him in every proposal.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Bennett is tracking pretty similarly to a guy like mike Richards, especially considering how much time he has lost to injury since his draft year.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Every time someone brings up Bennett's name I have to question whether they actually watch the Flames or know anything about them.

Bennett is the last player the Flames would trade away. Management has been on record as saying they think he has a higher potential than Gaudreau, which I believe he does as well.

Like do people not realize he turns 21 this month. I can understand the main boards hating on him, because its mostly Oiler and Canuck fans who bash him, but it's just idiocy watching Flames fans on this board complain about him and want to trade him in every proposal.

What? When? That's a terrible thing to say even if intended as a complement. That pisses off a roster player as well as puts unneeded pressure on the prospect.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Not sure there are enough minutes to go around for Monohan, Backlund and Bennett moving forward next 5 seasons or so.

If Flames think they are close enough to pull off a Smashville next season then hang onto Backlund.

If your thinking more long term then the next month is the best chance to max out Backlund as an asset.

Wild card in all of this is Jankowski in that can he adequately replace Backlund in a short time frame?

Bennett on the wing maybe but that means one of him, Gaudreau or Tkachuk have to go to RW.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
It is one of the very few Sam Bennett trades I would consider. In fact here was the list I made previously in this thread of Sam Bennett trades I don't eyeroll and reject:

Zero chance of Brodie getting traded.

Bennett for Stone could be interesting. I wouldn't be willing to add the Flames 1st as well though.

Thanks for the responses. I think it's an interesting idea. Stone is still under team control for two more years and definitely fits a need on Calgary. I've always been a huge fan of Bennett, so I'd be willing to gamble on him in the deal from Ottawa's perspective. I could see him becoming a Mike Richards type from when he was on Philly.

Don't think Ottawa would ever do that

Most fans categorically say no to a Stone for Bennett trade from Ottawa's perspective. They don't want to move Stone except for a massive overpayment. I'm not as high on Stone as most other Ottawa fans, but I admit I'm bullish on Sam Bennett because Mike Richards was my favorite player for years.

Classic HF proposal; move a winger for a centre so you can then move a centre for a winger

Aside from the fact that making trades in today's NHL is really hard, most GM's are simple and direct; if they want to address a particular area, they'll do so exactly, not add in extra steps to complicate things.

Can't see why the Senators would move Stone, even for Bennett+.

It's just a case of needs matching up. Ottawa needs an upgrade at center. Turris slides in nicely as a #2 and Bennett has low end #1C or high end #2C potential. Brassard becomes expendable at that point because I love Pageau at 3C and Smith as 4C. Brass can be dealt for a winger or help on defense or a young goalie to succeed Anderson.

Like most proposals and rumor mongering, it won't come to fruition, but it's an interesting discussion. The value seems to be there.

Even if Bennett reaches his ceiling, and the 1st happens to be Pettersson, Stone fits an extreme need and will be far better defensively than both players combined. He also opens up space for Monahan and Gaudreau. So even in the worst case scenario for us, it's still not a bad trade, and the worst case scenario is extremely unlikely.

Yeah it seems like Calgary fans like this deal better than Ottawa fans. Most Ottawa fans seem opposed to it and don't even want to consider moving Stone.

Most fans keep offering Ceci + White for Duchene or Ceci + Brassard. I just don't think those packages get you quite enough to get it done. I'd love to get Duchene but not at the expense of Chabot.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You would have to consider Stone for Bennett, as much I'd hate to deal Sam. However I'm more than happy to keep him. If worse case happens, he can always be converted permanently to the wing. I still see him as being a top C in the NHL for many years, despite his "20 year old" season.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I would love to see a Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar line next year in the worst way

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
My ideal forward line-up would look something like this next year

Gaudreau-Monahan-Williams/Sharp/Radulov
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar/Jankowski
Jankowski/Lazar-Stajan-Familton

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
My ideal forward line-up would look something like this next year

Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar/Jankowski
Jankowski/Lazar-Stajan-Familton

Yeah I'd want Jankowski to play center but other than that that's pretty much the dream. Oh and also keep Chiasson for depth RW. He's good.

Bouma and Hamilton as spare forwards and if everything goes right that should be a real solid lineup.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's going to be relied on to play defensive minutes most likely. Adjusting to the NHL beside Backlund and Frolik would be really beneficial. He'd be playing a lot more minutes as well.

There is nothing beneficial (to the player) about a center playing wing with the highest QoT on the team. It wasn't beneficial for Bennett in 2015-16 to play with them and it wouldn't be beneficial for Jankowski in 2017-18.

If Jankowski were playing with Backlund and Frolik, the only benefit is if that's the best option for the team as a whole, which I also disagree with as I think Jankowski projects is better pure center than Monahan or Stajan.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I'd hate to move Sam honestly, but Mark Stone would fit this team like a glove.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, I'm not sure what the big deal is about moving Stajan over to the wing so Jankowski can develop properly

Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar
Stajan-Jankowski-Hathaway
Chiasson/Hamilton

Bouma and Brouwer lost in space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad