Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: There are no bad proposals, only bad players

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
a principle that is severely flawed, like any statistic.

Sure thing. Feel free to not use Save Percentage again, because it fails to take into account every single shot, and how it went in.

That principle is severely flawed? A blanket statement from someone who most likely;

- Hasn't taken a statistics course

- Hasn't played any sort of decent hockey

- All of the above.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Was it this one:
NYR Gets:
16th OA
140th OA
CGY Gets:
Antti Raanta
21st OA
157th OA

If so, I would do that deal. I have a feeling Raanta is going to be good!

I'd love to get either Raanta or Grubauer and sign Steve Mason to a 2 year deal, then hopefully by the end of his deal either Raanta/Grubauer & one of Parsons/Gillies would have taken steps forward and became the #1 goalie for us.

I would do this all day and take Poehling.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sure thing. Feel free to not use Save Percentage again, because it fails to take into account every single shot, and how it went in.

That principle is severely flawed? A blanket statement from someone who most likely;

- Hasn't taken a statistics course

- Hasn't played any sort of decent hockey

- All of the above.
I rarely use sv%, I've only used it recently to demonstrate the insignificant difference in goals allowed between top goalies and mediocre ones. In fact I never hang my hat on any single stat. But welcome to ignore, I should have done this a long time ago.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Ovy rumor has got be total BS given the source, but I just had to.

Brouwer to Vegas, but it work with Stajan too.

tWZVhln.jpg

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
That goaltending tandem would give me nightmares

Mason has been an above average starter for 5 seasons now, since he went to Philly.

He had a bit of an off year this season though.

Besides, replace him with Elliott, Miller or whoever you want. Trade options Smith, Grubauer, Raanta, Halak, etc...

They ALL come with question marks now. It's what we're left with now unfortunately.

Hell, even if we'd have signed Bishop lots of Flames fans would whined about that too.

Aug 21, 2014
Mason has been an above average starter for 5 seasons now, since he went to Philly.

He had a bit of an off year this season though.

Besides, replace him with Elliott, Miller or whoever you want. Trade options Smith, Grubauer, Raanta, Halak, etc...

They ALL come with question marks now. It's what we're left with now unfortunately.

Hell, even if we'd have signed Bishop lots of Flames fans would whined about that too.

Can confirm. Would've whined.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think you missed the boat as to the argument and your response. Don't like your dislike or defence of a poster guide your actions :laugh:
A comparison here would be if I purchased a new vehicle and told you:
"I get 170 horse power, and a 40L fuel tank (just so happens, Sv% and GAA) and that's pretty awesome considering I only paid $20,000 for it." and you fired back with:
"Do you know the fuel consumption rate? Like L/100KM? There are ways of calculating it and seeing how good it'll be driving around; like around downtown, on a highway or in the city (Oh ****, LDsv%, MDsv%, HDsv%)?"
I of course answer you with:
"you're an idiot, whoever thought of looking at fuel consumption over 100KM is an idiot; you look stupid and you can't read good."

This is probably the most erratic and poorly thought-out analogy I've ever read. Seems like you're intentionally trying to miss the point so you can use your laughing smiley more. At least try to understand my post.

We were talking about your response to a criticism of a method of analysis where you mistakenly thought the criticism was directed at the goal of that analysis. All you've done here is repeat and reassert your misunderstanding.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I wonder if there is any potential for a blockbuster with the Isles?

Not that Halak would be your first choice for a goalie but he'd be a good veteran platoon option if the Flames were to grab a guy like Raanta.

Plus the Isles have some players who could potentially fill the biggest needs of our skater group.

Defensive top 4 right shot D to pair with Brodie and a young right shooting winger with top 2 line or even top line potential.

Hamonic is coming off a pretty bad year and has in the past asked to be moved to western Canada, and Strome seems to have stagnated on the island.

Flames just can't really make a hockey trade with them because we can't afford to part with decent roster players, it would have to be a futures package and that probably doesn't interest the Isles unless they decide to rebuild again. Can't see them doing that unless JT flat out won't sign an extension.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
An Islanders fan (I think they were an Isles fan anyway), suggested Halak + 15 for 16. I don't think I would do it, but if we pick up a younger guy like Grubauer or Raanta to start, it might not be an awful move.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
An Islanders fan (I think they were an Isles fan anyway), suggested Halak + 15 for 16. I don't think I would do it, but if we pick up a younger guy like Grubauer or Raanta to start, it might not be an awful move.

Move up 1 spot to take Halak?

Yeah I guess that would be done on the draft floor and would depend on who's left on the draft board, and also on who the other goalie for the Flames is going to be.

Don't want Halak as the starter alone, so it would definitely have to be a young cheap goalie with upside. Like you say, Grubauer or Raanta.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Nah, haven't you heard? We are sending 16 to the Caps for Ovy :sarcasm:

Just fiddling around with that site RedHot showed me, I think I'd rather the Flames just go out and sign Mason to a 4 year deal if possible.

Way above league average in every category the last 3 seasons, except for high danger sv % where he was right about league average. He also vastly outperformed the other goalies on his team over that 3 year time frame as well, and handled a starters workload.

28 years old, a 4 year deal would be just fine especially if kept well under $5 million.

Does anybody know how Mason is with handling the puck?

DSnWF7o.jpg

Just purely from what I've read from Philly fans. Mason is either great or terrible in handling the puck.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Move up 1 spot to take Halak?

Yeah I guess that would be done on the draft floor and would depend on who's left on the draft board, and also on who the other goalie for the Flames is going to be.

Don't want Halak as the starter alone, so it would definitely have to be a young cheap goalie with upside. Like you say, Grubauer or Raanta.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's enough personally. Maybe if it were at 50% retained. I don't mind Halak as a backup, but definitely not as a starter.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If I could take one guy from Nashville it would be Austin Watson. The guy is a stud.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Because anyone that knows anything about hockey knows location on the ice doesn't make a shot more dangerous. Any stat that claims a soft rebound is more dangerous than a shot from the point through traffic, if simply not accurate.

Location on the ice absolutely makes a shot more dangerous. All other factors being constant, a shot from 8 feet is harder to stop than the same shot from 20. Also, if location on the ice didn't make a shot more dangerous, we wouldn't see a clear statistical increase in goals scored on shots taken from the "high danger" area of the ice.

Statistics aren't interested in shot A vs shot B (which is what you're talking about), because those are individual data points. Statistics are there to give us overall trends.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
What are Calgary's thoughts on a deal centered around Sam Bennett and Mark Stone?

Bennett + 1st for Stone to give Calgary top 6 RW scoring, Ottawa gets a young guy with low end #1C high end #2C upside. They can then deal off Brassard for help on the wing.

Also have interest in Brodie.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What are Calgary's thoughts on a deal centered around Sam Bennett and Mark Stone?

It is one of the very few Sam Bennett trades I would consider. In fact here was the list I made previously in this thread of Sam Bennett trades I don't eyeroll and reject:

These would be digestable:

Patrice Bergeron (but at age 31 i'm not crazy about it)
Nathan MacKinnon (assuming he's malcontent and requests out of Colorado)
Bo Horvat (though I think Bennett is going to be better)
Tyler Johnson with contract extension
John Tavares with contract extension
Claude Giroux @ 20% retained
#2OA + Radko Gudas
Blake Wheeler with contract extension*
Mark Stone with contract extension*

...Otherwise there is no point in trading Sam Bennett.

...And that is why Sam Bennett is not getting traded.

Zero chance of Brodie getting traded.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Bennett + 1st for Stone to give Calgary top 6 RW scoring, Ottawa gets a young guy with low end #1C high end #2C upside. They can then deal off Brassard for help on the wing.

Bennett for Stone could be interesting. I wouldn't be willing to add the Flames 1st as well though.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Classic HF proposal; move a winger for a centre so you can then move a centre for a winger

Aside from the fact that making trades in today's NHL is really hard, most GM's are simple and direct; if they want to address a particular area, they'll do so exactly, not add in extra steps to complicate things.

Can't see why the Senators would move Stone, even for Bennett+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad