Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If Brad makes the right contract extensions, there is enough space to offer Tavares a one year max deal

The dream will never die

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I don’t know, I think if we get a different 3rd line Center, we have to put Janks on the wing. He’s got the skill to be a potential top 6 forward and I feel like putting him in a grinding role would do nothing but stunt his growth
I wouldn’t be pigeonholing any line into a predetermined identity or forcing them to play a certain way. I’ve always been of the mindset where a coach should ask his players to play under his structure only in the defensive zone and without the puck, take the reigns off in the offensive zone and let the natural instincts of the players take over - no matter what line.

Regardless, I think Jankowski has shown that being strong on the cycle (a cornerstone of a “grinding” line) is one of his biggest strengths anyways, so I’m not convinced asking him to play that role would hurt his development anyways. He’d still get PK time and 2nd PP time too.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Brad makes the right contract extensions, there is enough space to offer Tavares a one year max deal

The dream will never die
I heard Elliotte Friedman say on the radio that Tavares was meeting with five teams, SJ and Toronto being two of them for sure. He speculated about the other three, but Calgary was not one of them.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I wouldn’t be pigeonholing any line into a predetermined identity or forcing them to play a certain way. I’ve always been of the mindset where a coach should ask his players to play under his structure only in the defensive zone and without the puck, take the reigns off in the offensive zone and let the natural instincts of the players take over - no matter what line.

Regardless, I think Jankowski has shown that being strong on the cycle (a cornerstone of a “grinding” line) is one of his biggest strengths anyways, so I’m not convinced asking him to play that role would hurt his development anyways. He’d still get PK time and 2nd PP time too.

I can understand that, but do you really think saddling him with Brouwer (who will be back on our 4th line) and xxx other relatively unskilled player is good for him? To me playing with a player as slow as Brouwer will only teach him to play overly cautious so he can get back and play defensively since Brouwer can’t go north/south fast enough. There’s a chance he can be the next backlund and learn to turn defense into offense, but I think it’s more likely it simply stunts his offensive potential.

Now if you told me our fourth line was Mangiapane - janks - shore/lazar
Well that’s a different story then, full of skill and scoring potential.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I can understand that, but do you really think saddling him with Brouwer (who will be back on our 4th line) and xxx other relatively unskilled player is good for him? To me playing with a player as slow as Brouwer will only teach him to play overly cautious so he can get back and play defensively since Brouwer can’t go north/south fast enough. There’s a chance he can be the next backlund and learn to turn defense into offense, but I think it’s more likely it simply stunts his offensive potential.

Well, a couple things can happen:

1) new coach, Brouwer may be able to rebound. Maybe not, never really sure with these situations.
2) Brouwer doesn’t have to be played, we have a ton of bottom six options, and may get another through FA.
3) hopefully peters truly plays his best players.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Based on what Treliving said earlier, the big names in free agency aren't likely but he will go after value adds. Though they definitely need one more significant offensive acquisition.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm in favour of a PTO for Jarome Iginla and his new robo-hip, and no other moves until the season starts. If all goes well this season, we can make a big acquisition at the deadline with tons of space to do it (maybe even a non-rental).

Right now we have:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Lazar
Brouwer - Shore - Hathaway

There are two spots or so on that forward corps for youngsters to step up and earn their place. The Iginla PTO would be a good option as a right-handed shooter for the PP especially, but a guy that could play on the Jankowski line and be helped along by the skating of the other two guys.

Signing another RW is an option we can consider, but I'm not sure there is anyone there who really fits our needs, and so we may just be adding more of what we already have while ensuring no training camp competition.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Well, a couple things can happen:

1) new coach, Brouwer may be able to rebound. Maybe not, never really sure with these situations.
2) Brouwer doesn’t have to be played, we have a ton of bottom six options, and may get another through FA.
3) hopefully peters truly plays his best players.

While all of the above is possible, I really have a hard time seeing Brouwer not being back and playing on the 4th line.

Just as a side note, I really have no problem with Brouwer as an NHLer - I just don’t think he’s right for our team. He needs to be put on a slow grinding line to succeed, and given garbage goal opportunities and we don’t have (and probably don’t want) a line like that on our team. Like MonyontheMoney said earlier I’d rather have a fast skilled 4th line

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

I should also add that I really only wrote the lineup that way so it didn’t become a bigger wall of text than it already was.

The only guys I see from my list that would actually push Jankowski down to 4C would be Bozak and playing Lindholm at C. In the case of both Nash and Ryan, I think it’s entirely possible (if not probable) that with the better part of a full NHL season under his belt Jankowski grabs the 3C spot in camp. I just think it could be a bad idea to go into the start of the season without having a backup plan if Jankowski struggles again.

I just think we need to get away from players like Lazar and Shore on the 4th line and actually try to have a 4th line capable of chipping in regularly as opposed to being just good enough. Both Nash, Ryan, and Jankowski would provide more offence from that spot than having either Shore or Lazar there.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I should also add that I really only wrote the lineup that way so it didn’t become a bigger wall of text than it already was.

The only guys I see from my list that would actually push Jankowski down to 4C would be Bozak and playing Lindholm at C. In the case of both Nash and Ryan, I think it’s entirely possible (if not probable) that with the better part of a full NHL season under his belt Jankowski grabs the 3C spot in camp. I just think it could be a bad idea to go into the start of the season without having a backup plan if Jankowski struggles again.

I just think we need to get away from players like Lazar and Shore on the 4th line and actually try to have a 4th line capable of chipping in regularly as opposed to being just good enough. Both Nash, Ryan, and Jankowski would provide more offence from that spot than having either Shore or Lazar there.

I think I’m one of the few that still has faith in shore and particularly lazar. Put them both in for a full 82 games with a skilled LW or even centering the two of them, and both those players have proven they can be 20 point players on the fourth line - it doesn’t sound great, but 60 points out of your 4th is as good as any in the league and better than many 3rd lines

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
One thing I haven’t seen a lot of chatter about yet is what BT is looking to moving into FA. One thing about our GM that nobody can really argue is that he seems to be very calculated roster wise.

First off, I 100% believe Derek Ryan will be signed for the bottom six. Outside of that, BT has certainly set himself up to go in big on a JVR, Neal, or Perron. Whether you agree with this move or not, I’m fully expecting a big name ufa push and Derek Ryan to be added for depth.

BT will be active come July 1st IMO.
I think it depends on what Treliving thinks of Frolik. If he still believes he is a top 6 forward, then I can see us getting only Derek Ryan as our top 6 will be full. If he doesn't think Frolik is 2nd line material I see him chasing a bigger fish to play with Tkachuk and Frolik will move down the lineup and then there won't be room for Ryan.

That said, if Derek Ryan is willing to sign for a million or so and willing to play 4th line minutes, then it all changes. But IMO Derek Ryan will be able to find a top as a top 9 forward.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd prefer Ryan over bringing Versteeg back. I also think Bennett - Backlund - Tkachuk will be the Flames "1B" line, and Backlund could very well hit the 60 point mark. I still expect the bottom 6 to be lacking though.

Bennett - Backlund - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Frolik
Lazar - Shore - Ryan

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You know what, I'm kind of on board with the idea of giving JVR a 6X7 deal or something similar to what Oshie & Okposo got. He's big, he's fast, and skilled. And there is cap space to do it.

JVR - Backlund - Tkachuk
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Hathaway - Shore - Brouwer/Lazar

I really like this line up, if we go into the season, just as it is now, we are not making the playoffs. If we can add some like JVR, we have two good lines(like we have right here.)

I am still not sold on our centers, when comparing center to other teams, we fall behind(yes Monahan should be able to get 60+ points but no other centre may hit 50 points, Backlund has a chance.)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really like this line up, if we go into the season, just as it is now, we are not making the playoffs. If we can add some like JVR, we have two good lines(like we have right here.)

I am still not sold on our centers, when comparing center to other teams, we fall behind(yes Monahan should be able to get 60+ points but no other centre may hit 50 points, Backlund has a chance.)

Backlund with a more mature Tkachuk and JVR instead of Frolik could very well get 60+ points.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Yes, but we still have Jankowski, who should take a step up, now lindholm, Bennett should probably get a crack at some point. Any of these guys somewhere down the road could push backlund down to 3C, that’d be a nice luxury to have.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Why are so many people on the JVR train? Does he possess something this team sorely needs over a guy like Neal, who could likely be had for less cap/term?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d don’t want Neal. He’s a good player but he’s going to be looking for term and I don’t want to be the team that gives him that.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I still wanna go after Thornton. 1yr, 7.5 mil. It's more than Gio but he's a legend and I think he's still got it despite the knee injuries

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Why are so many people on the JVR train? Does he possess something this team sorely needs over a guy like Neal, who could likely be had for less cap/term?
3 reasons.

1. Goals. JVR is a better goal scorer. He's averaged 30.78 goals per 82 games during his time in Toronto (5 seasons).
  2. Health. JVR has been a much healthier player than Neal in recent years. JVR only missed 3 games during his tenure with the Leafs.
  3. Age/Style of play. Neal may only be 2 years older than JVR, but his style of play causes the body to break down quicker than JVR's style of play.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
We could actually use both, ideally. A pure shooter for Tkachuk/Backlund and a playmaker for Bennett/Jankowski
Jankowski is very adept at distributing the puck, more so than scoring goals (although Janko has such a gorgeous wrister) had Bennett been able to bury even a fraction of his chances, Jankowski would have added a bunch of apples too.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd rather ship Brouwer off to the Ducks for Perry. Many of you may not like Perry, but I think we become a better team with Perry in the top 6.

Brouwer for Perry straight up or Brouwer @ 50% for Perry @ 25%. Perry would be around roughly 6.5m, keeping him under the Giordano/Gaudreau cap. Saves the Ducks a ton of space (unfortunately), but gives us a player that we know can score and has done it in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->