Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

Gio and Dougie got Norris votes again, albeit only a few.
Man I'm so torn on trading Dougie.. if we trade him it has to be for a major overpayment, with all the smoke though it won't be surprising if he does get traded :/

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
a) because he is currently a member of the team signed through next season and b) because it doesn't hurt the price.
Regarding A: He said he wouldn't break them up after having talked to Treliving prior to the press conference

As for B: It doesn't particularly do a lot to help it either as an incoming coach who last coached in the east. GMs wouldn't be swayed by that endorsement

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
As for the reported return, I don't like it. With Dougie you either go big on a 1-for-1 with a similarly talented centre or go home.

Gio and Dougie got Norris votes again, albeit only a few.
Man I'm so torn on trading Dougie.. if we trade him it has to be for a major overpayment, with all the smoke though it won't be surprising if he does get traded :/

Gostisbehere 10th? Strange.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
As for the reported return, I don't like it. With Dougie you either go big on a 1-for-1 with a similarly talented centre or go home.

Gostisbehere 10th? Strange.
I don’t know, players of that caliber rarely get traded in 1 for 1’s. The Cane’s rumour is an overpayment, IMO. If the Oilers roster player is Klefbom and the prospect is Pulijujarvi/Yamamoto + a 1st, that’s a huge win too.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Fully anticipating a Hamilton return of Niklas Hagman, Matt Stajan, Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White. I spend the rest of my days in an institution for the criminally insane after being found at the doors of the Saddledome smashing the windows with an old Easton, covered in my own excrement and wearing nothing but my socks. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Fully anticipating a Hamilton return of Niklas Hagman, Matt Stajan, Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White. I spend the rest of my days in an institution for the criminally insane after being found at the doors of the Saddledome smashing the windows with an old Easton, covered in my own excrement and wearing nothing but my socks. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Stop it! Tre won’t do that!

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’ve also heard Vancouver’s 7th overall for Hanifin.

Which would be really interesting if Tkachuk is on the board. Realistically one of Zadina, Tkachuk Wahlstron will be there at 7.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lind
M. Tkachuk-Backlund-Zadina
Dube-Jankowski-Frolik
Ferland-Shore-Foo

Giordano-Brodie
Valimaki-Andersson
Kulak-Hamonic

Smith
Rittich/Gillies

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t know, players of that caliber rarely get traded in 1 for 1’s. The Cane’s rumour is an overpayment, IMO. If the Oilers roster player is Klefbom and the prospect is Pulijujarvi/Yamamoto + a 1st, that’s a huge win too.

The players around 10 are solid. But I feel like it will be D men. Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes are likely BPA around there unless Wahlstrom/Tkachuk/Zadina/Kotka fall

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I mean, I get that our offence was pretty putrid last year, but I still think the philosophy of building from the net out still holds true.

No need to go scorched earth and roll with an all rookie 2nd pair to address that.

Don’t get me wrong I’m definitely fine with moving a defencemen or two but we still need to find suitable replacements which isn’t easy.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yup, albeit reluctantly.

If there's truth to the rumour that Vancouver is willing to give pick #7 for Hanifin, and the trade evolves to Lindholm & Tkachuk instead, that would simply be magical.

If Hughes is there at number 7, PICK HIM. He has Duncan Keith upside. If Wahlstrom is there, pick him as well instead of Tkachuk.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Wasn't it with Matty Franchise and Tom Nonstopoulos?

I'm possibly forgetting, as it was a while ago
Nosir, I double-checked (because it was a while ago indeed), and it was Backlund's first full season doing his thing with the 4th line. And I do remember he ate the competition alive - 25 points on a 4th line is pretty good on its own, but in terms of possession he was head and shoulders above his bottom six opponents.

insaini

Nov 17, 2012
Yup, albeit reluctantly.

If there's truth to the rumour that Vancouver is willing to give pick #7 for Hanifin, and the trade evolves to Lindholm & Tkachuk instead, that would simply be magical.

Possibility for a 3 way trade:
Calgary:
- 7th Overall (Van)
- Lindholm
- B-Level Prospect

Carolina:
- Hamilton

Vancouver:
- Hanifin

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Guys... I was just messing around with MM! It was a joke he apparently didn't get.

I was being facetious suggesting we trade back Lazar to Ottawa if they included a 2nd.
You claimed it was to offset Bennett. Then when you changed it to Lazar, I never replied because I did get it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That would be one of the few instances trading Hamilton would be okay.

Lindholm on this team makes me feel a kinda way.
If this happens, I will love it. Half because I really like both guys from the Canes and half because it's a trade I have suggested.

Oh man. If Hanifin and Lindholm lived up to their draft billing, it would be a good deal. If they are what they've been the last couple of years, we'd be taking a major bath.
I think it helps us even if they don't develop further. But, there is no reason to think that Hanifin won't continue to develop and Lindholm may not be living up to his offensive potential, but he's very much a Selke contender down the road, also with us he may get 1st line billing since our RW is so weak and that could only help him.

Is Hamilton one of the guys that doesn't fit into the culture that Treliving wants here?

Weird why he would consider dumping him so fast
I think it's more using a strength to address a weakness. I suggested this to the guys in our fantasy league in chat at the end of the season. I don't want to move Hamilton, but we have a glut of RHD and he is our best trade chip, possibly more valuable than Gaudreau or Monahan as big, offensive top pairing RHD are rarely available.

Would we want to do BOTH rumoured trades?
Hamilton for Hanifin & Lindholm
Brodie & Bennett for Mark Stone

Gaudreau-Monahan-Stone
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Ferland-Jankowski-Frolik
Insert random 4th liners

Gio-Hanifin
Andersson-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

I think I'd prefer our lineup without doing the Stone deal (similar to FFL's lineup)
Doing both deals, I would do....

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm (Lindholm brings more of a physical presence to the line)
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Stone (Janko may not be ready, but I think with that kind of talent around him, he excels)
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik (Backs and Fro help mask Ferland's defensive deficiencies and he brings a shooter to that line, Ferly & Fro can also be flip-flopped)
Klimchuk - Shore - Brouwer
x: Lazar, UFA

Giordano - Hamonic (an actual shutdown pair)
Hanifin - Stone (Stone has shown he can be a #4 and I think he and Hanifin's games will mesh well)
Kulak - Andersson
x: UFA

Smith
Rittich/Gillies

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If this happens, I will love it. Half because I really like both guys from the Canes and half because it's a trade I have suggested.

I think it helps us even if they don't develop further. But, there is no reason to think that Hanifin won't continue to develop and Lindholm may not be living up to his offensive potential, but he's very much a Selke contender down the road, also with us he may get 1st line billing since our RW is so weak and that could only help him.

I think it's more using a strength to address a weakness. I suggested this to the guys in our fantasy league in chat at the end of the season. I don't want to move Hamilton, but we have a glut of RHD and he is our best trade chip, possibly more valuable than Gaudreau or Monahan as big, offensive top pairing RHD are rarely available.

Doing both deals, I would do....

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm (Lindholm brings more of a physical presence to the line)
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Stone (Janko may not be ready, but I think with that kind of talent around him, he excels)
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik (Backs and Fro help mask Ferland's defensive deficiencies and he brings a shooter to that line, Ferly & Fro can also be flip-flopped)
Klimchuk - Shore - Brouwer
x: Lazar, UFA

Giordano - Hamonic (an actual shutdown pair)
Hanifin - Stone (Stone has shown he can be a #4 and I think he and Hanifin's games will mesh well)
Kulak - Andersson
x: UFA

Smith
Rittich/Gillies

That is actually a very good top 9, not amazing but something I'm comfortable with if they find chemistry.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Why would Carolina want Hamilton and give up a young versatile RHS forward like Lindholm to acquire him? Faulk is basically a smaller (but not small), more physical version of him. It's not as if the Canes have a ton of quality RHS on their own roster as Aho / Teravainen / Staal / Skinner all shoot left too IIRC. Justin Williams is not a long term solution and Derek Ryan is a UFA.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why would Carolina want Hamilton and give up a young versatile RHS forward like Lindholm to acquire him? Faulk is basically a smaller (but not small), more physical version of him. It's not as if the Canes have a ton of quality RHS on their own roster as Aho / Teravainen / Staal / Skinner all shoot left too IIRC. Justin Williams is not a long term solution and Derek Ryan is a UFA.

Why do we care what the other team want on HFboard? :sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Reasons Carolina might do that trade.

1) Hamilton is a big, young, offensive 1st pairing RHD.
2) The new owner wants to shake things up
3) Some believe the team that gets the best player wins the deal. If Waddell believes that, he may bite.
4) Both Lindholm and Hanifin are RFA and will each get decent raises and their new owner has said he doesn't want to spend more money.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I really believe moving Hamilton is a huge mistake. Short of Tre pulling off grand larceny, I'm not going to be happy with him being traded.

This fanbase was screaming and frothing at the mouth to try and get a defenseman like Dougie. Unless Tre is THAT convinced that Andersson or Valimaki can replace him, I just don't get how it makes sense.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
In order to stomach losing dougie you have to be high on the ceilings of Hanifin and Lindholm, which I am from what I know about them (not a lot). I'd be cautiously optimistic about this trade, but know losing a top pairing dman locked up to a great contract is risky.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If it’s like this than I’m more happy. I have faith in Andersson, Valimaki and Fox. I also was always a big believer in defence wins championships. And now I think the way the game has shifted to forwards and goalies win you games.

The defensive systems are so good it doesn’t matter what individuals you have as much anymore. You need as many high skill forwards to convert chances into goals that you can get

Vancouver
Hanifin

Calgary
Lindholm
7 OA (Tkachuk, Wahlstron or Zadina)

Carolina

Dougie Hamilton

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If it’s like this than I’m more happy. I have faith in Andersson, Valimaki and Fox. I also was always a big believer in defence wins championships. And now I think the way the game has shifted to forwards and goalies win you games.

The defensive systems are so good it doesn’t matter what individuals you have as much anymore. You need as many high skill forwards to convert chances into goals that you can get

Vancouver
Hanifin

Calgary
Lindholm
7 OA (Tkachuk, Wahlstron or Zadina)

Carolina

Dougie Hamilton

I wouldn't, Hanifin is gonna be at least a solid top 4 dman and likely top pairing when he hits his prime. Lindholm would immediately be our best RW and can fill in a center.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Ferland-Janko-Frolik
(4th line)

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson

Again...dump Stone for a 3rd round pick so we regain some draft capital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad